Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Advice on how to find a metapelet (In Israel)

Emuna2

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 8:27 am
I'm going back to work in about a month or so after my first baby and I need to start looking into Metepelets but I have no idea even where to begin... what questions to ask, how to know who is the "best" one for my child, what standard costs are, etc. Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 9:00 am
First, some questions to ask yourself...

Are you looking for a metapelet who will come to your home or who will watch your baby in her home? Someone who takes in more than one child? How many children would you be comfortable with her watching? Do you work full-time? Would you be eligible for the TAMAT subsidy if you found a recognized mishpachton/metapelet? Do "standard" hours of care work for your schedule or do you need more flexibility? Do you want someone closer to home or closer to work if you're dropping off? Will anyone else ever need to pick your baby up if there's a chance you'll be late?

Questions for the potential caregivers:
Does she have a set schedule for feeding/napping or does [each] baby set her own? Does she have playpens/mattresses or are the parents expected to provide sleeping accomodations? Same question for linens and food. Does she have a place to store a package of diapers and wipes or does she expect you to shlep a day's worth every morning? Does she have a safe place (freezer) to store expressed milk if you are bringing that? DOES SHE HAVE REFERRALS she can provide? Does she have a backup if she needs to take a sick day or has a sudden personal emergency? How old are her kids, if any, and will they be home at the same time she is caring for your baby? If it's someone who is coming to your home, what is her mode of transportation? Is it reliable? How much notice does she have to give you if she can't come one day (sick)? What's her vacation policy?

My question for you:
How old is your baby?

imab

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 1:15 pm
Great questions above a few more to add

What is her policy re Sick children (especially important if she has 3-6 other children there - inconvenient for you if you need to miss work because everyone is making your kid sick).
Does she/her husband/her children/ anyone in the house smoke! (important question in Israel)
Is she trained in CPR.

What is her policy re overtime.

imab

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 1:17 pm
Another one - does she have kids for tzaharon (older kids coming from ganim) in the afternoon - common practice here.
If she does does that mean she shleps all the babies with her to pick up the kids. Where do the kids sleep (cot, stroller etc).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics