Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Which movies do you let your 4 t0 7 year old children watch?
Previous  1  2

queenyemk

Post Wed, Oct 11 2006, 1:20 pm
Mishie sorry that you were upset by remark about the triefe animals. Majority of Lubavitchers are very strict when it comes to triefe animals. We don't allow are children to wear clothing with trife animals, have trife animal toys, have them in picture books etc.
Why??
The Lubavitcher Rebbe said that we should not. Sorry I can not give the exact source right now. I will find out and tell you when I get home.
Reason: I will get an exact quote and tell you because I don't want to give my own interpretation and misquote and get flamed for it. But the basic interpretation that I go by it that you only want your child to be surrounded by kosher things.

Yes, you can go to the farm, zoo and let your child see G-d's creations and teach them about animals so they are not ignorant of their world. But when it comes to the home, which is a mini Beis Hamikdash, it should only be filled with kosher things, just as you would not bring a trief animal into the Beit Hamikdash we should not bring it into our homes.

I guess I should practice what I preach. It is hard for me to do this sometimes. I am a baalei teshuvah for 6 years now. I just thru out a whole lot of trife toys. I never did the clothing, except for some butterflies. So now when it comes to movies I guess it applies there to. Most homes do not have a tv/vcr or allow there children to even watch movies, cartoons etc..

As for some of the shows that were recommended my take on them are:
Disney (Micky-MOUSE, Pluto, Goofy etc..) - I can't stand a lot of these shows. You really have to pick and choose cause some of them have mixed messages.
Dora (with Boots the MONKEY) - I have not seen it but a friend of mine says her kids love and are really suited to 3-4 year olds.
Blue's Clues - my sisters wathed this all the time it is cute
Hello Kitty - can't stand cats so won't allow it hehehehe
Arthur and Clifford - my brothers were addicted to this. It mainly about helping people so that is good!!
Loony Toons - I totally prohibit - raod runner trying to be killed by coyote, elmer fudge wanting to kill the rabbit. ACME blowing people up. It seems innocent because it's in a cartoon form, but if you really watch it is too violent.
"Sesame Street" - is so for black people nowadays!! I grew up watching this show twice a day. It was so not biased back then 20 years ago!! I saw it a few times and now they have movie stars and talk in slang. It really upsets me. It seems like it's lost its innocence.

Quote MOMof3: For non Jewish videos my kids like Mary Poppins, Toy Story, Barney, Sesame Street, Shrek, Madagascar (what's wrong with that one?)
mary poppins and chitty chitty bang bang give me childhood trumas!!
Mary is about a father who doesn't love his children and she has to bring them togther.
chitty - with an evil dictator who kidnaps and put children in dungeons?? How is this for children???
Barney th big purple dinosaur - ugh! Maybe it just cause my mum couldn't stand it but that with the tellitubbies was banned it my house.
Shrek - I love those 2 movies - they are cute - but for daughter to watch a movie about ogres, I really need to get over my love of it and not let her be subjected to the donkey loving a dragon and a fairy godmother that puts spells on people!! I think that movie is for adults anyways.
Madagascar has ninja penguins and a lion who tries to eat his best friend!!

What language was in Nemo???

You can take it or leave it. This is just my view on children's tv.
A lot of this stuff just desensitises children.

Flowerchild

Post Wed, Oct 11 2006, 1:46 pm
I see your point queeny, good points, a lot of these cartoons and kids shows/movies are not so clean these days, there is kissing, violence, etc. when I was growing up the cartoons were sweet and nice and innocent, today it seems that children are exposed or are allowed to be exposed to too much adult content, even cartoons today have adult content. there is show on tv, noggin, its very cute, it has different shows no commercials and it teaches kids different things, like shapes, colors, day of the week, seasons, shows like blues clues, dora, little bear, etc. those are still nice. but you really have to watch what your kids see, its crazy how much garbage is out there and how quickly kids today lose innocence

alex

Post Wed, Oct 11 2006, 2:23 pm
winnie the pooh
bob the builder
malkaly

queenyemk

Post Wed, Oct 11 2006, 2:52 pm
what are the shows malkaly and noggin about???

Lilly thank you for your support, it means alot to know that somebody has the same view on kids shows as I do. embarrassed

At Simchas Beis Hashova here on kingston ave in crown heights, they show a video of the Rebbe from Sukkos time. My daughter was awake (cause who can sleep during all that noise - she had already slept for 5 hours before we went out) and I pointed to the screen and said "Rebbe", she pointed as well and kept going ohh, oohhh.
Whenever I talked to my friend next to me, she looked at me, pointed to the screen and kept going ohhh. ohhh. She is too much!!!!!

So a Rebbe video never fails!! Or a video on other tzaddikim!

Also chabad.org has a section for children. They have vidoes on there, and for years they have been making a puppet show called 'Itche Kadoozy'
It is not focused on the chabad outlook, so dont think I'm pushing the parcel. It is just a funny view of the parsha. It is about a Rabbi and a man from his shul and how he teaches him about the parsha and other things from torah and mitzvahs.
you will be cacking yourself laughing from some the things that they do.
Take a peek - you might like it.

http://www.chabad.org/kids/art.....29315

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 11 2006, 8:00 pm
4 to 7 is either G or PG (don't remember, but definitely not Pg-13)... so you could check here which movie is correct: http://imdb.com/

There are also sites that allow you to know what movies include (they're all Xtian though, I haven't seen a Jewish one unfortunately), like http://www.capalert.com/capreports/

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Oct 11 2006, 8:00 pm
JRKmommy wrote:
My kids have become obsessed with Ushpizin - notwithstanding the fact that the youngest 2 can neither speak Hebrew nor read subtitles.

HAHA mine too they call it moshe belanga. they love it too
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children