Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Thank you cards

Imhappy!

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 8:27 am
I recently got a few thank you cards from bar mitzvah boys.

two of them were preprinted. One of the two was addressed by the mother of the bar mitzvah boy the other one the bar mitzvah boy address it himself. I thought it was very not personal and at the same time (more important) teaching the kids a bad example of hakoras hotov.

I got a third card that was a simple blank thank you card that you puy 10 per pack and the bar mitzvah boy wrote in his handwriting thank you for getting me _________ (specified the gift) .
I thought it was so nice.

what do you think?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 8:30 am
When I was a kid, my parents always made a huge deal of us writing newsy, gorgeous, thank you notes.

These days, I hardly receive any thank you’s; if I do, they’re waifish.

I would assume the pre printed ones are for kids who don’t write English but then again, I’ve gotten Hebrew notes and I’m fine with that!

Imhappy!

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 9:34 am
the one that was handwritten was in hebrew and I thought it was very nice.

the preprinted card the way I look at it is just another thing the mother had to do post bar mitzvah. I think its a great apportunity to teach children manners and hakoras hatov.

my sister made my neice send me a nice card (colored peice of paper) to thank me for the preschool graduation. I think its the thought that counts.

chen

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 10:58 am
The TY card comes from the person who got the gift. So what if the kid's spelling isn't perfect and he's not real eloquent? what matters is that he, not the mom and not the printer, expressed the thanks. It's also a major chinuch issue. Ordering cards from a printer serves zero chinuch function.

Of course there is nothing wrong and everything right with the kid first writing the text on a piece of paper and a parent checking for spelling errors. But for kids who you know will never agree to copy it over--let it be, creative spelling and all. At least Tante Yetta will know little Leibel wrote the card himself!

Nothing wrong with Mom helping out by addressing the envelope (assuming she's willing) esp. if little Leibel's penmanship is in the basement. You DO want the card to be deliverable by the USPS, don't you?

Imhappy!

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 11:56 am
chen wrote:

Nothing wrong with Mom helping out by addressing the envelope (assuming she's willing) esp. if little Leibel's penmanship is in the basement. You DO want the card to be deliverable by the USPS, don't you?

nothing wrong with the mom addressing the envelope when it's a handwritten or and this signed TY card. the one I'm reffering to was preprinted, not signed and addressed by mother. I don't htink the kid was involved in any way.

I thought it was something to bring to the publics attention. someone went out and bought a gift. teach thekids to sit down and write a card.simple

amother

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 11:57 am
Th preprinted ones are not nice. I agree with tose of you who said about chinuch. One of my boys wrote the cards with no prblem. He did maybe 10 each day.I didn'tcheck spelling as it was his card write. The next son I had to sit with/on top of/ hold his hand ... but he got them done (kicking & screaming)

chen

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 12:09 pm
amother wrote:
but he got them done (kicking & screaming)

Good for you sticking to your guns! Writing TY notes is an important social skill that has been sadly neglected, and hakoras hatov is a middoh that is often ditto.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children