Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training vent!

newmother

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 9:48 am
I need help because I feel like I am losing my mind! sorry for the long megilla I just need to vent and would love some advice too!

Ds is six months old. From about two weeks after birth he has been resisiting naps during the day. The first two and a half months after he was born he was on no schedule because it was the summer and I was busy entertaining my 2 year old ds who was home the whole day. At three and a half months I realized I needed to get him on a schedule because he was not napping at all and waking up numerous times to eat. I started using the baby whispherer method which after a ton of hard work after two and a half weeks started working. BUT then my ds got bronchotis and any sleep training went out the window- he was up screaming at night for hours and resisiting naps again, so two weeks later (once he was better) I started the baby whispherer method again. Again it worked for around two weeks and then ds got a double ear infection so after he started getting better I began the whole routine again. Then my ds got another ear infection and just got off of his medicine on friday. Since last week he has completely stopped taking naps- with the exception of shabbos and since motzei shabbos has woken up during the night and just screamed for 2 hours straight evry night. I know I need to start sleep training him again but I am so tired and burned out! Since last week I haven't slept a normal nights sleep although baruch hashem dh is helping out a ton in middle of the day and even though I am currently a stay at home mother I can't sleep during the day beacuse my ds won't take a nap and is kvetchy so he wants to be held. I can't afford a babysitter and I feel like I am losing my mind! Any advice or chizzuk?

ChaniH

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 10:15 am
im so srry your having a hard time Sad r u near a high school or seminary where they can send you girls for chessed hrs.?

newmother

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 3:58 pm
thanks chani! anyone else have any advice?

chevron

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 4:23 pm
omg I know hw hard a tired baby who doesn't sleep is. Getting sick is another crazy part of babyhood. One piece of advice- ?I hope you don't mind- give garlic oil for earinfections. It worked better ,faster, and won't pull down his immune system. Give probiotics daily it helped my nonstop getting siick baby soo much.

..............about sleep training all I can say is try again and hopefully it wont be that hard since you started already.

Also if you live in Brooklyn and want a break you can totally bring your baby here I'm home all afternoon Tongue Out .

chani8

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 6:23 pm
I'm not exactly sure of this sleep method, but any method sounds good, as long as the goal is to get baby sleeping thru the night.

First of all, make sure your baby's room is warm enough. Sounds like a lot of getting sick and when a baby's body cools, it's easy to get sick. Also baby swings cause cooling, so double bundle when using one.

Why is it taking over two weeks to get thru the night. My method takes days not weeks. But baby is not in my bed or room and I will use earplugs to get through four hour stints. A baby who learns to calm himself has a tool for life. If he has no reason to cry except he can't calm, then try the static noise, warm room, and then you go to sleep. The worst babies cried nearly all night (at least if felt that way) but by the third night they slept.

Unless you get more specific, this is the best help I can offer.

hop613

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 6:58 pm
I have used the baby whisperer and I really like a lot of what she says. I know it is so hard when you get derailed by sickness or other things, but you should feel good about the fact that you know it has worked before! So hopefully, you can go back to the baby whisperer and see results sooner. By using the baby whisperer you will be teaching your baby independent sleep, it just takes longer then letting them cry.

And don't feel bad about needing help in the middle of the day, I was the same way! I definitely recommend trying white noise, it helped us a lot, although every baby is different.

Google baby whisperer forum, and there are message boards where people can answer questions about how to train your baby. Good luck!

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 8:42 pm
It sounds to me like something may be bothering your baby. Could be reflux, fluid in his ears, sensory issues, or a number of other things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics