Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent meat

lylac

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 7:51 pm
I have been having some problems with my cholent meat that it's too dried out, and I have used so many kinds of meat. the butcher told me to get colicky, that the longer you cook it, it just gets softer, but I manage to dry it out every time. I have tried using a smaller crockpot and filling it to the top, using a larger pot, putting it on low the whole time, putting it on high for some time then on low, putting meat on the top and bottom, using frozen and unfrozen meat. I don't know what else to try! my cholent is liquidy, so if I add more water I'm afraid it will be too soupy. can anyone help? Confused

cindy324

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 8:05 pm
try cheekmeat. It is so soft you have to put it into the cholent in one piece, put it on the bottom with beans on top. it will practically fall apart as you take it out on shabbos from the crockpot, it's so soft and moist.

soonamommy

Post Mon, Jul 17 2006, 11:35 pm
We use beef for stew (it's already cut into strips) and "Shabbos meat." They're both soft and moist, just depends on your taste. Cheek meat is extremely soft (melts in your mouth) but can be very fatty.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 10:15 am
I use chicken for the cholent. I have had better luck with that.

mother48

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 2:37 pm
use s/t with bones-flanken or s/t I'll use lamb chops. they're actually cheaper... or now in the summer I've ben using ribs. comes out real good.

lylac

Post Tue, Jul 18 2006, 7:46 pm
thankd for these suggestions, but I have used all different kinds of meat, and nothing seems to help. a friend uses colicky and hers was very moist and falling apart, and the butcher says it's even better than cheekmeat. does anyone have ideas about how I can maybe do something to the whole cholent or the crockpot to make it turn out better?

Sparkle

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 12:43 am
Why don't you try cooking the meat first seperately for a bit before putting the cholent up?

aussiegal

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 3:12 am
I use regular cholent meat ( I guess like stew meat or something) and fry it seperately in a pan with spices before adding to the cholent, and it hasn't fallen apart yet!!!! Give it a try!

frenchfries

Post Thu, Aug 03 2006, 4:18 pm
try cheek beaf its really good.

MOM222

Post Mon, Aug 07 2006, 10:25 pm
mom22 wrote:
Why don't you try cooking the meat first seperately for a bit before putting the cholent up?

Yup browningt the meat a bit on all sides will keep the meat moist inside.

MyKidsRQte

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 7:55 pm
I used to put flanken and marrow bones. A friend told me that cheek meat is even better, so I tried cheek meat and marrow bones. The kids went nuts over the meat. It was buttery soft!

chillax

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 3:10 pm
The #1 cholent meat is cheekmeat! It is so mushy and soft that it'll just fall apart. It's the best. YUM

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 3:31 pm
I know someone who puts everything else in the pot and then, on top of it all, she puts plain turkey mince, with no additives at all, straight from the package! Smile

She uses pearl barley and potatoes with no beans but I think that you can put beans in easily - it probably works with any cholent. Thumbs Up

Delicious! Tongue Out

chen

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 3:40 pm
The meat dries out and the rest of the cholent doesn't? I don't see how that's possible. You don't mean it's too tough? I've used pupicks(too salty if you use a lot of them), colechl, turkey bones (delicious but the bones make it very hard to ladle out), turkey stew (excellent) marrow bones (beyond delicious but now verboten due to the fat content)...and I cook the cholent several hours Thursday night. when it goes on the blech Friday it's really ready to eat.

there is always going to be a charred layer on the bottom of the pot--that's the nature of the beast. You can't expect otherwise when a pot full of starchy material sits, unstirred , on a fire overnight. Is that what you mean by "dried out"? Otherwise I just can't fathom how you can have a piece of meat dry out when it's immersed in a liquid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus