Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Moroccan meatball? Advice needed

Fabulous

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 3:43 pm
bnm wrote:
1 pound chopped meat
2.5 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon curry powder

fry the meat with oil, add garlic, cook a drop and add spices. let it cool off, put filling in wrappers, roll and seal with eggwhite. then fry tll golden on each side

I am looking to make this inside as a meatball or something. Does anyone know if I can just mix those spices and add an egg and either breadcrumbs or wet bread and bake or fry as meatballs? Do you think the flavor would be good? Does anyone bake meatballs? I usually boil them. How long? What temp? TIA

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 4:01 pm
If you're using this recipe as is, I would bake/broil (or use grill pan) it as burgers. You can add an egg and bread crumbs, but not necessary.

chabadnikit

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 4:46 pm
If you want to make these as meatballs then just add all ingredients together, switch out the curry for shawarma spice and add some breadcrumbs and an egg. You can also add fresh cilantro and grated onion to give it a real moroccan flavor and nice soft texture. Simmer them on low in plain tomato sauce or grated fresh tomatoes for about 20-30 minutes or until theyre slightly pink inside. I wouldn't fry them first or the sauce will become very greasy.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 7:41 pm
I looked what's inside my Moroccan (or could it be Tunisienne) meatball spice. It's called epices melangee pour Koeffta, literally spice mix for meatballs. It contains salt, paprika, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, mint, rose petals. I usually add 1 egg and matza meal and knead a bit, brown in non-stick pan first without oil to get the grease out. Then I cook in tomato based or grated carrot based sauce for about 30minutes.

bnm

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 7:43 pm
I had extra mix once so I added an egg or 2 and baked it as sheperds pie.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 7:44 pm
I ended up just doing as MaBelleVie said. I added an egg and a little bit of whole wheat bread wet and put it on George Foreman and it was delicious!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 8:00 pm
Love bnm's recipe!

Another great recipe is this one
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....+pita
I change it up a bit though. I use dark ground turkey, add 2 garlic cloves, use 1 tsp dried mint instead of fresh, and use just a sprinkling of cinnamon and cayenne. Delicious with the salsa/relish in a pita!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics