Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Excuses before bedtime

superjew

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 4:44 pm
My DS is 2 & 2months. He's always loved going to sleep. Knew his schedule & routine. He practically ran to his crib and go in happily. Lately (just month or so) He still seems pretty okay with the routine & schedule but has a bit more excuses before bedtime. It's worse when my DH isn't home. Furthermore, when DH isn't home (and only then) he cries when I actually get him into his crib. Once he FINALLY decides to go in without a fuss, he changes his mind seconds later and as soon as I'm out of the room & door's closed, he starts screaming. The crying doesn't last long but I just want to know if anyone experienced this and what it means?
Why only with me? What is it that I can do for him to change this behavior?
Please help! Its driving me bananas! Rolling Eyes

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 5:46 pm
He's reached an age where he realizes he can use tactics to push off going to sleep Smile

I wish I could tell you it gets better. The excuses and time it takes to go to sleep just get worse with age Sad

See if you can nip it in the bud so that maybe you can at least get another 2 more years of calm.

rachel6543

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 6:02 pm
It's normal. My son started doing the same thing at that age.

My suggestion, after you have done your bedtime routine and put your son in his bed/crib, leave the room. If he starts fussing, make excuses...etc just go back in, lie him down, put his blanket back on and leave. Don't say a word. Repeat as necessary & you can wait a few min in between visits. Just make sure you don't say anything, don't give him any attention. Eventually he'll just tire out or get the idea and go to sleep. I got this tip from supernanny and it really works. My son is almost 4 and he's on a really good bedtime routine and rarely fusses after we put him to bed. But when he does, I just do this and it usually works in 1-3 tries and he is out for the night.

Good luck!!

bubbles

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 6:02 pm
my son is exacly the same age he started doing that so we put him in a bed he is much happier now.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 1:02 pm
superjew, we were part of the same January due date club Smile
I can relate! My little 2 year old has also started making excuses...most recently, that he "needs to watch the news"! We were ROFL! LOL

superjew

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 1:09 pm
HAHA last amother, that IS hilarious!
So should I ignore the excuses & just let it pass? Should I give into them? (like needing a drink, might be real, but reading a book I'd say no too)
Bubbles - How would I know if thats what would help my ds though? I'm afraid of trying & then getting stuck with the 'coming out of bed' problems.
Its a big transition and I want to make sure he's really ready for it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 5:47 pm
superjew wrote:
HAHA last amother, that IS hilarious!
So should I ignore the excuses & just let it pass? Should I give into them? (like needing a drink, might be real, but reading a book I'd say no too)
Bubbles - How would I know if thats what would help my ds though? I'm afraid of trying & then getting stuck with the 'coming out of bed' problems.
Its a big transition and I want to make sure he's really ready for it.
Don't allow the excuses.
Make sure they use the bathroom again before bedtime.
Give them a mini 8 oz water bottle near their pillow so they can't drink on their own if their thirsty.
And that's it. No excuses.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics