Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
I hate Purim

french fries

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 7:56 am
I love the mitzvos of Purim. Listening to the megilla, Giving tzedaka. Giving gifts of food to friends and eating a delicious meal with loving family and friends.

I hate Purim. Its such a commercial holiday. So much pressure from my kids about costumes. I don't have creativity, money or time to plan spectacular costumes. So much pressure from others to make fancy expensive shalach manos. Its so hard to plan a seudah with everybody's plans. It's so hard to hear the megilla with so many little kids in shul making noise.

Kids who can't be quiet in shul shouldn't come. There is no mitzva to mess up other peoples mitzva to hear the megilla. This year the my kids take care of their own costumes. I buy simple foods to go in shalach manos. I'm not inviting anyone to my seudah except my husband and kids who live at home. Any one else who wants to come will have to ask me. I'm not going to them. I'm so exausted.

Frenchfry

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 8:19 am
Purim is also my least favorite YT. I actually like the costumes and MM planning and I never had a prob with noisy kids by megilla where I go, but I hate the preassure of the actual day.

Scheduling delivery is crazy trying to get to everyone. Almost every year someone throws up in the car. By the afternoon the kids have had it, but we have a seuda ahead of us. My dh makes fun of me that I'd definitely rather do tisha b'av any day

Frenchfry

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 8:22 am
Purim a month before pesach was definitly haman's doing.

I think that haman figured that if he's successful in killing the jews, then he'll get'm all, if not, at least he makes life difficult for 50 percent of the population every year!

willow

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 11:04 am
I love Purim
I hate the junk
I hate it is a month before Pesach
Nope I don't feel pressure to do anything but what I want.

gila-rina

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 11:24 am
Frenchfry wrote:
Purim a month before pesach was definitly haman's doing.

I think that haman figured that if he's successful in killing the jews, then he'll get'm all, if not, at least he makes life difficult for 50 percent of the population every year!

Rolling Laughter

MGmom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 11:46 am
Hate Purim too! Hate the drinking, Hate all the food going on, Hate all the junk, hate all the leftovers, hate the hangover!

embarrassed embarrassed after all mm are sent and we finished the megillah reading and morning meal, I lock up in my room and let dh with the kids out till midnight! Dont even bother leaving the house to the messy streets! embarrassed embarrassed

thedudette

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 11:58 am
well I love purim (except the junk - ppl should give stuff u actaully want to eat. the best mm I ever got was a salad, a deli sandwich (yes I ate that for lunch while driving around delivering), a bagel, donuts, choc milk/ milk. Those I eat - who wants the junk?)
I don't mind the traffic - it's all part of the fun Smile and luckily no one I know gets drunk, so it's all good b'h

AlwaysThinking

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 12:22 pm
I don't hate purim... YET. I think I might after this year.

And I find MM fun, but very stressful, even though no one near me does fancy ones...

Last edited by AlwaysThinking on Mon, Feb 27 2012, 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

boysrus

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 12:39 pm
I used to dislike purim. I always associated it with drunkenness which scared me, and too much stress delivering so many mm, and trying to find costumes.

now I no longer dislike it, my attitude has changed. this is due to things I learned about purim, about how special a day it is, and about what a special opportunity it is to daven to Hashem for everything we need. on Purim , if somebody puts out their hand (for money) we give it to them. in the same way, 'kol haposhet yad nosnim lo', we can "put out our hand" to Hashem and ask Him for everything we need, it is an auspicious time to daven, (other auspicious times include Shabbos Mincha and the month of Elul and Aseres yemei teshuvah)

since learning this a few years ago, I try to focus on what is most important. I plan simple mm's, make sure not to give too many so delivery doesnt take all day. I also plan my purim seudah menu around what can be made in advance and reheated so that food prepartation doesnt take me too long on purim itself. past age about 10 I have found that my kids will sort out their own costumes withut too much help from me.it is worth investing in a few good quality costumes that can be worn again and again (and lent to others!)

most important of all to me, I make sure that I have time to daven at some point of the day, prefferable at least an early mincha (early so that I make sure not to forget when im involved in seudah preparation.) I use purim as an opportunity to daven properly for all my family members by name including bils, sils, nieces, nephews, grandparents, etc, and I daven to Hashem for specific things that I know or think these family members need. it is uplifting and gives me a very good feeling.

I think it is a shame that we dislike purim (I can;t bring myself to use the word 'hate ' about such a specail day, sorry!) we need to try and look for the good in it, and plan it in a way that we like it better.
as for drunkneness, that s the only thing that I cant find anything nice to say or think about...

to OP and all previous posters, I really hope that this year you will enjoy purim more than u think you will!

have fun!

Debbie

Post Fri, Mar 09 2012, 7:31 am
I am so glad that I found this thread so I know I'm not the only one who doesn't especially like Purim.
I enjoy hearing the Megilla( but I wish that some people would know when to stop banging for Haman and I don't just mean the kids) and I quite like making making mishlach manot (although the ones I make are not overly fancy)I also enjoy the seudah. and family time.

The whole costume thing drives me crazy and has done for years,I am not in the least creative at least now my girls see to their own costumes.

What I find almost disturbing is that some shops sell mishlach manot that are so expensive that the money could well be used to feed a family of four for a week;in my humble opinion that is not what Purim is about.

I used to really like Purim,maybe I am getting old and boring!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics