Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Babysitter asked son to change toddler's diaper!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 6:56 pm
I work from home and have a babysitter to watch my younger children while I work. She hasn't been feeling well lately, and hasn't had much energy. It's a bit annoying, but I am hoping she will feel better soon and be back to herself.

Last time she was here, last Thursday, the following happen. She watches my 6 year old son after school along with the little ones. (She doesn't work Fridays and took today off since her husband had off from work). So, last Thursday, my son comes into the room I was working in with a plastic bag with a dirty diaper in it. He was tying it up. I asked him if the babysitter asked him to throw it away for her. He said yes and that he had also changed the 2 year olds poopy diaper. I asked him why. He said that the babysitter asked him to becuase she didn't want to because the poopy diaper was going to make her sick and she didn't want to do it!

There are so many reasons why this is bothersome! I can think of so many!

What should I do? Say something tomorrow when she returns? What should I say to her? I don't think I shoud just let it go, because she'll probably ask him again!

Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 6:56 pm
I work from home and have a babysitter to watch my younger children while I work. She hasn't been feeling well lately, and hasn't had much energy. It's a bit annoying, but I am hoping she will feel better soon and be back to herself.

Last time she was here, last Thursday, the following happen. She watches my 6 year old son after school along with the little ones. (She doesn't work Fridays and took today off since her husband had off from work). So, last Thursday, my son comes into the room I was working in with a plastic bag with a dirty diaper in it. He was tying it up. I asked him if the babysitter asked him to throw it away for her. He said yes and that he had also changed the 2 year olds poopy diaper. I asked him why. He said that the babysitter asked him to becuase she didn't want to because the poopy diaper was going to make her sick and she didn't want to do it!

There are so many reasons why this is bothersome! I can think of so many!

What should I do? Say something tomorrow when she returns? What should I say to her? I don't think I shoud just let it go, because she'll probably ask him again!

Thanks!

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 7:05 pm
First of all, congratulations on having a 6 yr old son capable and willing to change his little brother's diaper. I think that's terrific. I can't see my son doing that in 2 yrs.

But no, it isn't his job and he should not have been asked. I think you need to let the babysitter know you're aware that this happened, let her know you're displeased, and ask her if she expects to be able to do the job you pay her to do fully in the future. Nicely, but firm.

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 7:20 pm
Is your babysitter pregnant? Either way, it's inappropriate and you need to tell her.

Nomad

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 7:40 pm
ooy OP, is this the same babysitter from the other thread who u were having trouble with because she kept missing work/not doing job because she is recently pregnant? if so, please fire her ASAP.
she is not getting any better.

notme

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 7:59 pm
Say something but not in a rude or harsh way. Is she by any chance pregnant? (not saying it's an excuse)

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Nov 01 2010, 8:39 pm
She sure sounds pregnant. And yes, it's wrong on so many levels.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 02 2010, 1:48 am
I dont even know what the question is?? Its a [crazy] thing to do and I would FIRE her ASAP!! Any normal person wouldnt ask a 6 year old boy to chang ehis younger sibling, so if shes stupid enough to ask when you are home what stupid things does she do when your not home???????????????????????????????

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Nov 02 2010, 1:51 am
Yeah, my first thought when reading this is, sounds like she's pregnant... if she is, you're probably going to lose her anyway so I think it's time to find a new babysitter.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 5:28 pm
OP here: So, last week I looked at my son's thumb and it had a little sore on it. It didn't seem like anyrhing. Two days later, the sore was blown up and filled with pus. We raced him to the doctor, who said we were very lucky because we caught the infection in time before it got into blood!

I was just thinking about the day that I wrote this when the babysitter had him change the diaper. I don't know if she has done it since. (I asked my son and he couldn't remember) So my questions are:

1. Could an infection like this come from changing a diaper? (Dr said it was a bacterial infection)
2. Even if she hasn't asked him since that day, could an infection of this sort appear close to 2 weeks later? (Or perhaps she is asking him!)

I upset at the notion that this changing could have caused an infection! The poor little boy was in so much pain...the infection/sore was huge!

Ronit

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 6:23 pm
The babysitter sure sounds pregnant & is so wrong for making him do it.

Regarding the thumb- Have you ever got an infectioin from changing your children's diapers? LOL No, never happened to me.

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 7:34 pm
Open wounds and feces.... not a good mix Mad
get new help ....

MimiMommy

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:40 pm
If it happens again, say something. But maybe she really is sick (or pregnant is a big possibility); would you rather her throw up everywhere while changing the diaper? It seems that your son didn't really mind. Maybe just ask the babysitter what's wrong.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:49 pm
its not acceptable but she is prob sick or pregnant.

tell her in a nice way that you are paying her to care for your kids and diaper changing is part of the job.

paprika

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 9:04 pm
Your son sounds like a really helpful kid. Very few kids would do that. Lucky you!

de_goldy

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 9:39 pm
This thread is from a year and a half ago.
That toddler is probably toilet trained.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers