Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Skinny and not eating

amother

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 3:01 pm
He's always been on the skinny side, like DH, but eats a ton, so has always gained weight. He was always on the low end of the weight chart, but I was not concerned, because he kept a steady pace of growth. He likes everything. The last 2 weeks, he has decided he doesn't like eating meals, only wants to graze. I am going to take him to the doctor's office to weigh him tomorrow, but I am worried now- his pants are falling down, which makes me think he's lost weight! Showing no signs of illness or lethargy- he's his usual self. But if I sit him down to eat, he cries and refuses to touch the food; so I let him graze just so he'll eat something, but it's not nearly as much as when he sits. He is almost 15 months and just learned to walk. I would expect to gain less, given slowed growth at this age as well as the increased activity. But losing is not supposed to happen, right?

Also, he still nurses quite a bit, though definitely subsists mostly on solids. He also drinks whole milk.

Should I be worried? How do I get more food into him without turning it into a battle?

anonymrs

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 3:10 pm
When you figure it out let me know, please. My dd is 17.5 months and weighs about 17.5 pounds:( I wish I would know how to get her to eat more. I definitely think that the nursing is related, at least in my situation I think so. I'm starting to think that she needs feeding therapy....

amother

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 3:13 pm
He definitely does not need feeding therapy. He eats any and all foods, textures, etc no problem, and has been since starting solids. It's just that since learning to walk, he won't sit for a meal. He still eats everything, just instead of the whole plate, it's two bites and then goes off to do something else. I can't get more than that out of him...

In the kitchen

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 3:16 pm
A friend of mine was having a similar problem.

The doctor suggested adding spices to the food. Now if this isn't your problem you are going to have a good laugh.

The family eats BLAND food. Really really bland. Some salt, maybe some pepper and occasionally a bit of paprika.

So instead of feeding him plain cottage cheese she put in a dash of cinnamon as the doctor suggested and he ate it up!

b"H by adding some flavor to the foods he is now eating well.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 3:19 pm
OP here- he already eats well-seasoned food- garlic, curry, even hot peppers! I think he might be too distracted to eat...

Hashemlovesme

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 3:19 pm
you can always give him a pediasure (milkshake) it has all the vitamins/minerals plus a lot of callories. We gave my ds this, amongst trying other things (having lots of high calorie snacks) to get him to gain some weight.

syrima

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 3:26 pm
weather is nice now...take lunch and snack out to the park and feed him in the stroller. Then let him run around and work up an appetite and then give him a few more bites. Ask the Dr if you should cut back on the milk so he will want more food- good luck, it can be tough.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 3:34 pm
OP here- I can just give pediasure, it's not an rx or anything? All dairy that he eats is whole milk/full fat. What other high-cal options are there that are also healthy?

In the kitchen

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 3:46 pm
avocado, techina, butter, peanut butter...

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 6:57 pm
Why is he drinking whole milk if he's nursing a lot too? That may be filling him up too much to have room for real food. Did your ped recommend starting him on milk? If not, I would cut it.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 7:23 pm
MaBelleVie- he doesn't really drink whole milk when I'm around b/c I'm available to nurse. He drinks it when he's with someone other than me. Ped said to start him on it whenever I was ready to cut back on nursing. I don't want to stop yet, but am starting a ft job soon, so I'm trying to get him to nurse less during the day.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 7:44 pm
explore the possibility of reflux, could be why he doesn't want to eat so much anymore. I know you think I am crazy but it happened with my brother. he suddenly got bad reflux after he ate when he was little (yes that little) and stopped eating. he went on meds for it and my mother illiminated certina foods from his diet and within a couple of weeks went back to normal.

also, sometimes its just a phase. it happened with my friends baby.

JollyMommy

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 12:30 am
one of our kids was/is consistently 10% below curve in weight and about 90% in height. I used to go nuts trying to get him to eat fattier food and larger quantities. he's a preschooler now, very active, swims like a pro and is still very, very thin. At this point I think it's just a body type.

any how, what you should have in your mind is "every bite counts", offer him nutritious, calorie dense foods.

one of our best was eggs with mozarella cheese, or muffins with whole wheat flour, chocolate chips and other stuff laced inside. I have no problem if he wants to eat ice cream, just for the calories.

the 1-3 year old stage was hard with eating. now, he eats very little but more frequently. you won't believe this but his favorite food is broccoli- he loves vegetables, which does not help his weight.

over all, don't sweat it. it'll be okay as long as he's eating at least 1 good meal a day (or the equivalent spread out over the day). offer him food often.

cubbie

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 4:58 am
Firstly it's very normal for a baby to start eating much less after their first birthday, and also to get thinner when they get more physically active.

Don't let this get you stressed or let food become a battlefield, it will create bigger problems.

You need to choose what's more important to you that your son takes in calories throughout the day or that your son is eating proper meals, and act accordingly. If the calories are more important, make sure you're always offering him healthy nutritious snacks during the day that he can feed himself, and if the meals are more important cut out all snacks and only offer food at specific meal times. if you think he's filling up on milk and this concerns you, decide how often and when he will get milk and stick to it. If you don't mind that he's filling up on milk because you feel he's getting more calories that way, nurse more often.

But the bottom line is that you have to decide what is most important to you and create a plan accordingly.

Also don't forget that babies and children who are being offered food will not let themselves starve if they are hungry!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics