Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
7 y.o. doesn't talk!!!!!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 11:19 pm
Dd Never said a word in school to teachers/friends. Doesn't talk to. Her married siblings! Schools providing therapy for her but doesn't seem to help. What's my next step???

gryp

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 11:51 pm
Look up selective mutism. The more you pressure her to talk, the more stubborn and anxious she will get about it, and refuse.
You need a good therapist for a 7 yr old. I wouldn't expect much success from BoE therapy.

climbing613

Post Fri, Jul 13 2012, 12:32 am
You definitely want a therapist that is good and deals specifically with selective mutism (assuming thats what it is, and given your description, it sounds like it may be) being that it's an anxiety disorder involving language rather than a pure language disorder. There is a women who has a lot of experience working with preschool age kids with SM. Her name is Shaindel Cohn and she lives in Lakewood. I would recommend giving her a call as she should be able to give you some ideas and may be able to refer you to others. Her number is 732-267-9575.
Hatzlocha.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 13 2012, 12:39 am
Thank you! I will definitly give her a call. Is she state certified-would u know?

amother

Post Fri, Jul 13 2012, 2:31 am
You can try NYU child study center in New York .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)