Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Help with Roast! Mine keep coming out super hard!

chayadore

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 10:31 pm
I made roast twice and both times it came out so hard and chewy! I cooked it for two hours with sauce and seared it before cooking. Any tips for making a roast that comes out soft?

IMHopinion

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 11:09 pm
First of all, some roasts need a lot more cooking time than 2 hrs.

Which roast are you cooking?

studying_torah

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 11:11 pm
A few tips for you: 1) keep it covered, or use a roasting bag. 2) low and slow is better for roasts, which means cook it a bit longer but t a lower temp. 3) you might need a bit of water, or wine, even with the sauce, bec that might not be enough liquid. 4) maybe try a diff type of roast, one that is more marbled so it will be juicier. The marbling is the fat, and you put the fattier side up, so it can melt down and infuse the meat w moisture. 5) marinating the meat will help tenderize it. 6) there is always pot roast, made in a pot and basting it w liquid so it stays moist.

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 11:15 pm
An easy roast recipe is onion soup flakes on the roast and a can of coca cola cooked covered. The meat comes out tender and moist.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 15 2012, 11:28 pm
I put onion powder, garlic powder and paprika, and about an inch of water on the bottom. I cook it at 325 for about 25 minutes per pound. also, I underestimate the time, rather than overestimate, and I prefer to undercook it a little bit originally, because it goes back into the oven again and I dont want it to get over done.
also, try using a meat thermometer, and cook it using that. my roast is usually about 4lbs, so I cook it for about 2 hours, and then I check it. how big are your roasts?

Dev80

Post Fri, Nov 16 2012, 2:39 am
We (well my dh who cooks the meat) cooks it for atleast 4 or 5 hours and it always comes out melt in your mouth soft. He usually cooks it covered and then uncovers it for a bit at the end. Another trick is he marinates it in olive oil and garlic cloves (garlic powder when lazy) overnight, then sears it, then the long cooking time in whatever sauce. But the main thing is the long cooking time.

chayadore

Post Fri, Nov 16 2012, 7:48 am
Its a chuck eye roast, and the meat thermometer came out at 170 when I check it. It seem likes it cooked. I already too, it out of oven and put it in the fridge overnight can I recook it longer?

Thanks for all the replies!

3mitzvos

Post Fri, Nov 16 2012, 10:59 am
Yeah, I think the only problem here is cooking time. I always have to cook my roasts a lot longer than 2 hrs to get them soft.

Barbara

Post Fri, Nov 16 2012, 11:09 am
chayadore wrote:
I made roast twice and both times it came out so hard and chewy! I cooked it for two hours with sauce and seared it before cooking. Any tips for making a roast that comes out soft?

You mention below that you used a chuck roast. That needs to be cooked with lots of liquid -- at least half way up the roast -- for a long time at a low temperature. 2 hours may be enough time, but you may not be using enough liquid.

smiledr

Post Fri, Nov 16 2012, 11:47 am
My butcher told me low and slow - 200 degrees 5 hours and comes out great. An easy and great recipe is a can of cranberry sauce w three tablespoons onion soup mix - makes such a great sauce!

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Nov 16 2012, 1:45 pm
chayadore wrote:
Its a chuck eye roast, and the meat thermometer came out at 170 when I check it. It seem likes it cooked. I already too, it out of oven and put it in the fridge overnight can I recook it longer?

Thanks for all the replies!

Slice it and put it back in defatted pan juices (hopefully you cooked it with some liquid -- this cut needs it) and cook tightly covered until soft.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics