Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
New Novels/Books

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 12:59 pm
Any new novels or books that you read lately?
Anything that's really good and worth purchasing?
I already read Guesthouse, Prime Suspect, A Tale of Two Sisters.
What about Closing Accounts?(Something like that, I noticed it in Eichler's)
What about Full Harvest? I like long books, but only if it contains substance. In other words I don't want to read 500 pages, if it can all be written in 100 pages. Is it really shleppy?

Last edited by Cookies n Cream on Sun, Nov 18 2012, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 1:04 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Any new novels or books that you read lately?
Anything that's really good and worth purchasing?
I already read Guesthouse, Prime Suspect, A Tale of Two Sisters.
What about Secret Accounts?(Something like that, I noticed it in Eichler's)
What about Full Harvest? I like long books, but only if it contains substance. In other words I don't want to read 500 pages, if it can all be written in 100 pages. Is it really shleppy?

Full Harvest is fantastic, but other than some added historical content (a lot of it) at the end, it is the same as the serialized version that appeared in Binah over the past few years.

I've read all of those you've mentioned and it is by far the best. Lots of excellent content and very well researched for historical accuracy.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 1:07 pm
Thanks!
I didn't read the whole thing in the Binah, because I got lost in middle.
I'll buy it then.
Anyone else?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 1:43 pm
There are some amazing biographies out there - As Long As I Live, Rav Yitzchak Silber's memoirs (forgot the title), and Rabbi Lau's autobiography. (I haven't read it yet but have been very much encouraged to.)

There are wonderful story collections out there. R' Binyomin Pruzansky has a new one. And this isn't new but I just read it - Who Cares by R' Boruch Brull.

You probably are more up to date on novels than I. Yael Mermelstein's new book is a teen book but I can't wait to read it. And I assume you've read her Second Chances?

yummydd

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 1:45 pm
I loved full harvest. It was maybe a little too much shlepping in some parts, but I really enjoyed it.

September June

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 1:48 pm
New novels:
Face in the Mirror (geared to teens, but well written)
Trapped in Cyberspace (do not recommend)
A Tale of Two Sisters (didn't read yet)
Full Harvest (well written and interesting bonus historical content, but life on the prairie is no fun Sad )
Tangled Ties (serialized in the Mishpacha, not sure how long this was out, it was a so so novel)

Bells and Pomegranates by Rachel Pomerantz should be coming out in book form soon. That is probably a book worth reading.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Nov 18 2012, 2:22 pm
Thanks for the responses. I read a Face in the Mirror. Awesome book! I highly recommend it.
I own Second Chances-also amazing!
I read Tangled Ties-was not bad.
So I think tomorrow I'll be going to Eichler's to get Full Harvest.

Pink Fridge, I think As Long As I Live is next on my to but list..
I heard that it's a great book.

chilled

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 6:11 pm
Are we only suggesting jewish books? are there any non-jewish or non-fiction books out there worth reading?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 28 2012, 7:08 pm
chilled wrote:
Are we only suggesting jewish books? are there any non-jewish or non-fiction books out there worth reading?

I think there might be some threads. Revive some and I'll chime in over the next few days.

zissy2004

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 3:41 am
I'll revive this one lol
I got a gift card for a new book, going to buy soon.
Which are the latest good novels? As thick as possible, should be interesting.
I loved autumn rain and freedom to be..
Any suggestions?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 4:51 am
Sun Inside Rain is back in print! I saw the ads in all the weeklies. Menucha publishers maybe?
And Zissy, if you're looking for thick (and incidentally a fine read) have you read Full Harvest yet?

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:09 am
"As long as I live" is amazing. I really enjoyed "full harvest". Well researched & I enjoyed the historical content as well.

zissy2004

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:09 am
Thanks pink for responding! I own sun inside rain, great book!
I read full harvest in binah and although I think EG is one of the greatest writers I have known, I hate historical fiction! But any these days novels from her would be a dream! I love riva pomerantz style as well or Libby lazewnik, Rachel shorr...
Nachman seltzer style novels I like too. (Just not too complicated)
Basically, nothing too intellectual LOL

zissy2004

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:10 am
Culturedpearls wrote:
"As long as I live" is amazing. I really enjoyed "full harvest". Well researched & I enjoyed the historical content as well.

What is "as long as I live?"

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:16 am
zissy2004 wrote:
Culturedpearls wrote:

It's a life story of Reb Aharon Margalit. His trials beginning from a sever case of polio, cancer & loss of his son. His incredible courage & perseverance despite his disability to reach for the stars & succeed despite all odds. Truly an inspiration.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:17 am
zissy2004 wrote:
Culturedpearls wrote:

It is one of the most awesome biographies I've ever read. Easy reading in the sense of easy to understand, but very challenging when you take it to heart. It's the autobiography of R' Aharon Margalit, who's now a successful Israeli businessman and osek b'tzarchei tzibbur, who developed very serious polio as a toddler, but learned to walk, talk, and overcome numerous challenges, with exceptional grace and strength.

Some other excellent biographies are Rav Yitzchok Zilber's memoirs, To Remain a Jew,a and Rabbi Lau's autobiography.

These may not be books you'll choose to buy but worth borrowing for extra reading.

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:20 am
Rabbi Lau's book is an excellent buy. I have lent in to many people both frum & not. It made quite a kiddush Hashem.

zissy2004

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 5:20 am
PinkFridge wrote:
zissy2004 wrote:
Culturedpearls wrote:

It is one of the most awesome biographies I've ever read. Easy reading in the sense of easy to understand, but very challenging when you take it to heart. It's the autobiography of R' Aharon Margalit, who's now a successful Israeli businessman and osek b'tzarchei tzibbur, who developed very serious polio as a toddler, but learned to walk, talk, and overcome numerous challenges, with exceptional grace and strength.

Some other excellent biographies are Rav Yitzchok Zilber's memoirs, To Remain a Jew,a and Rabbi Lau's autobiography.

These may not be books you'll choose to buy but worth borrowing for extra reading.

Right. I heard about that one. I'll keep it in mind.
Now, any more new good novels?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room