Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Spin-off from Shmutz-Free Novels: Classic Radio

Fox

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 4:21 pm
I have a new passion to share: classic radio programming from the 30s, 40s, and 50s!

Whatever stereotypes or expectations I had about classic radio shows . . . well, I was completely and woefully ignorant.

First, there are an amazing variety of genres, including science fiction, mystery, detective, historical drama, sitcoms, Westerns, and more.

Second, these shows have some of the most sophisticated writing and plot development I've ever encountered in entertainment. I've discovered a whole world of writers, including a surprising number of women. Some of these writers eventually moved to television, and others became primarily book and magazine writers.

Finally, of course, this stuff is squeaky-clean. The detective shows generally feature a supporting actress with a sultry voice, but that's about it for s-x. The law enforcement or Western shows might have an occasional shoot-out, but nothing more gratuitous.

But here's the most amazing thing to me: I've discovered that when entertainment is genuinely well-written, my tastes are a lot more diverse. I never cared for Westerns, for example, after having been subjected to Gunsmoke as a child. But can you believe one of my favorite radio shows is Tales of the Texas Rangers? Who knew?

Some of these shows are available online for free; other sites have membership fees, etc. I download shows to my Kindle, but it would be perfect on a smart phone or similar device. Here are a couple of sites I like:

Radio Vault

Radio Spirits

Hope some of you will also enjoy! They're perfect for Pesach cleaning -- you can listen as you work! They are also enjoyable if you are sitting and just thinking about Pesach cleaning.

LOL

busydev

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 4:33 pm
oh I used to LOVE classic radio. WBBM plays it from 12-1. nowadays thats generally past my bedtime, but I often used to listen while doing homework in college. (bedtime was 1:30-2 mostly) the best were the comedies of course. I was always happy when fibber m'gee came on. (cant remember the other favorites off hand- its been a few years)

Fox

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 4:45 pm
Yup! That's how I developed the habit: WBBM at midnight during a bad run of insomnia!

And when I got over the insomnia, I discovered the websites!

Snickers18

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 4:55 pm
I used to listen to Drama Hour every night as a teen. 2 awesome selections every day of the week. The Lone Ranger, The Shadow, Have Gun Will Travel, George Burns and Gracie Allen, Our Miss Brooks, Dragnet, etc etc. If I ever had to miss a night, I would tape it. I prefer the freedom of listening on the radio- I tried watching Dragnet a few years ago, and it wasn't my thing on the screen. Thanks so much for posting these links. I'd love to dredge up some old favorites!

nechami1

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 5:00 pm
I love my dab digital radio which has classic English comedy on Radio 4 extra....so if anyone is reading this from the uk- listen up!

Fox

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 5:26 pm
nechami1 wrote:
I love my dab digital radio which has classic English comedy on Radio 4 extra....so if anyone is reading this from the uk- listen up!

. . . and the rest of us can listen in here:

Radio 4

I see they have Alistair Cooke's Letters from America, which I plan to listen to soon! This sounds so ridiculous, but I remember his introductions to PBS's Masterpiece Theater from my pre-teen years (and it's been a l-o-o-ong time since I was a pony, to quote Mr. Ed). He always explained how the story fit in with British history, culture, and attitudes, and he helped viewers understand the "big picture" behind the fictional or fictionalized feature.

In particular, I remember his explanation of the extent of British deprivation during and after WWII. This is something that most Americans don't fully realize, and we certainly don't realize the effect it had on British culture and attitudes. Having had that 2-minute tutorial from Mr. Cooke, all sorts of subsequent British current events -- from the doings of the royal family to Mick Jagger -- fell into place.

nechami1

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 5:28 pm
Radio 4 does have some comedy on it but a few years ago they introduced Radio 4 extra- which is just drama, comedy, classic serials, readings etc. I think its great!

Fox

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 5:32 pm
nechami1 wrote:
Radio 4 does have some comedy on it but a few years ago they introduced Radio 4 extra- which is just drama, comedy, classic serials, readings etc. I think its great!

Got it! Slightly different url.

Well, they both look great! Thanks for letting us know!

BBC Radio 4 Extra

yo'ma

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 7:02 pm
I don't know when it was from, but my mother used to tell me about the Bickersons. It was most likely from the 50's because she would have been too young earlier.

shanie5

Post Mon, Mar 11 2013, 10:11 pm
I just got 2 sets of cds with old time radio programing. Fibber mcgee and molly, burns & allen, the great gildersleeve, life of riley, my favorite husband (lucille ball), amos and andy..............

I listen to them in the car. my kids enjoy them too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics