Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Synthetic sheitals

dr pepper

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:16 pm
Is it possible to find a long, layered, synthetic wig that looks good, and real? Or am I just kidding myself?
I have a family simcha to attend and I don't cover my hair so I need something that looks good but I don't want to spend money on it because I will barely, if at all, use it again.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:19 pm
You never know if you might need it again.....but synthetic doesn't last anyway.

Wouldn't you rather borrow a hat?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:20 pm
I think it's silly to buy a sheitel for one time use. Will your relatives even notice if you don't cover your hair? Maybe you could borrow a shaitel or wear a hat.

dr pepper

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:21 pm
I don't need it to last. I don't like hats either. I will be in a lot of wedding photos and I don't think hats are flattering for me.

lst

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:21 pm
Depending on where you live, I have heard of sheitel gmach's where you can rent one.

dr pepper

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:24 pm
No gemach here. Maybe I can manage to get one in NY, where the wedding will be.

DH just wants me to do my own hair, but I think people will notice because it's pretty short and thin. Plus the family on the other side is chassidish and I don't want to disrepect.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:24 pm
See if you can borrow a sheitel. It seems pointless to buy something so expensive for one use. Just have your hair done up in such a way so people won't be able to tell if you're wearing a wig or not.

dr pepper

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:25 pm
You don't think people will notice with a regular updo?

shalhevet

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:28 pm
dr pepper wrote:

Of course they'll notice. Any frum woman can tell who's wearing a sheitel. You can buy synthetics which look nice at the beginning. I'm not so sure about long though. What do you usually wear to shul on Yomtov, say?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:30 pm
It depends on how you do your hair. Personally, I don't think you should drive yourself crazy about it. You can't please everyone - and I don't think anyone will really care if your hair is uncovered. Just let people think you're wearing a really great custom!

Maybe you could even borrow a sheitel from one of your relatives.

dr pepper

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:36 pm
shalhevet wrote:
dr pepper wrote:

Of course they'll notice. Any frum woman can tell who's wearing a sheitel. You can buy synthetics which look nice at the beginning. I'm not so sure about long though. What do you usually wear to shul on Yomtov, say?

I have a bandfall. But I was under the impression that a fall isn't fancy enough for a close family simcha, especially because I'm wearing a really fancy gown. I did put my fall in an updo once but all that styling practically ruined the hair.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:39 pm
Wear the fall and have it styled so the front of your hair blends in with the fall. If you don't wear it so often, why does it matter if the styling ruins the hair? They should be able to style it in such a way that the hair won't ruin.

Hannah!

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 11:13 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

shopaholic

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 4:29 pm
My colleague wore a band fall to her nefew's Bar Mitzva recently. She bought a black head band & bout a feathery thing & attached it to the band. I didn't see it but it sounded very nice. Go to a trimmings store & get something to attach to a band.

Tefila

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 5:08 pm
Op where do u live b/c there should be wig salons that would sell synthtics for cheap even non jewish ones. and you never know what they have, try them and see. Look in your yellow pages Exclamation

mumoo

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 5:16 pm
there are catalogues like Paula Young that sell synthetic and have really great sales. I use to buy them, they are nice -for a little while- but don't open the oven!

4c

Post Fri, Dec 29 2006, 12:00 pm
Wow, I think it's so beautiful to see someone who wants to respect the feelings of others! How nice that you want to cover your hair fully for the wedding. In this day and age of "everybody better respect me, how dare they expect me to conform", it's a breath of fresh air to see someone who is specifically looking to be a mentch! (Besides, it can only bring brachos to you and your family.) Regarding synthetics, if you're only looking to wear it once, then who really cares if it doesn't look so nice long term? Although I don't have anything specific to suggest, I have seen synthetics that are relatively long and look nice. Actually, I know someone who kept her old synthetics from when they were "in" (before the European hair days...), and uses them specifically for updoes so that she doesn't have to mess up her better shietels, and they look pretty good done up. Actually, paula young has some real hair sheitels that are pretty nice, too, and you can get quite cheap - again, they don't last, but if you're not looking to make a big investment, it may be worth it (I know some people who just by a paula young every year or two, and no one would know they're not wearing customs).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels