Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How do you clean shmattahs?

amother

Post Fri, May 31 2013, 4:27 pm
Please dont suggest paper towels or some other type of disposables. I use shmattas for cleaning everything.

I put the dirty ones in a basket and BH it does not smell. I do a load on hot when the basket gets full. I usually have to wash the load a few times w/o detergent till all the soap/cleaning supplies comes out. Then I wash them again with detergent. We dont pay for water/ electricity.

Is there a faster/ easier way to get them clean?

Mama Bear

Post Fri, May 31 2013, 5:15 pm
What? I just wash it in the washing machine, once, and it gets clean.

anonymom

Post Fri, May 31 2013, 5:17 pm
I do basically like you. I save them up till I have enough for a load then put it on the highest hottest setting with extra soak time etc. I dont need to do it more than once. My cleaning products are melaleuca tub n tile and mela power.

amother

Post Fri, May 31 2013, 6:45 pm
Is it safe to wash shmattas with bleach?
I use fantastic, mr clean, windex, Murphy's ect. I've never done it cuz I thought the fumes might be toxic.

Jewishmofm

Post Fri, May 31 2013, 8:51 pm
How how how do you save up a batch and not have them stink stink stink? I just threw all mine out and bought some new ones (my towels had the same prob, so could not replace from them as I usually would). I wash the rags twice a week, just throw in the machine and go. No smells yet, and they clean well. I am looking for other shmattes though as these have to be made wet before you can use them (even for sopping up spills) and just don't suit our shabbos lifestyle - cuz yes spills happen on shabbos too! any suggestions?

dee's mommy

Post Sat, Jun 01 2013, 9:58 pm
I wash them in the washing machine with the towels in hot water.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sat, Jun 01 2013, 10:00 pm
I wash them in hot water with a bit of Chlorox.

Marion

Post Sat, Jun 01 2013, 10:49 pm
I throw them in the washing machine with a little bit of bleach in a regular cycle. We don't use a lot of chemicals in our cleaning, and we don't use the rags for anything besides cleaning.

naturemom

Post Sat, Jun 01 2013, 10:51 pm
Your towels will smell if you dont wash them either in hot water or with bleach.
And you can use a 1/4 cup of bleach diluted in the water before adding the towels if you are concerned about the colored towels. Yes even dark towels can be washed this way.

IMHopinion

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 12:26 am
Which detergent are you using for it?

Jewishmofm

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 1:07 am
I have a special "heavy duty" setting on my machine, which I was told is best for towels - it's a hot water cycle. I use bleach most, but not every, time I wash them. I did have a problem with our machine not draining well and have since been cleaning out the drain more religiously. I wonder if that could have made the shmattes/towels continue to smell? I have not had a problem with my newer towels, but like I said I am washing them more frequently.

anonymom

Post Sun, Jun 02 2013, 1:26 am
I try to let them dry as much as possible while waiting to be washed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry