Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Does money make you happy?
Previous  1  2  3

Does money make you happy?
Yes  
 62%  [ 52 ]
No  
 12%  [ 10 ]
Other  
 25%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 83

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 8:40 am
I just read a really interesting article in a scientific journal that looked at IQ in poorer v richer farmers in India.

They measured it before the harvest, when all the farmers were relatively poor and didn't know if they would get a good harvest / enough money that year, then remeasured it after the harvest.

They found that those farmers who had a good harvest increased their IQ by 10 points from before, and those who had a bad harvest dropped their IQ by 10 points.

The conclusion was that poverty caused enough stress that the poorer farmers were constantly worrying about it, which mentally, even subconsciously, distracted them enough to drop their IQ.

Although it doesn't prove anything, it does suggest that a certain amount of money, ie enough to manage day to day expenses and normal life, rather than excessive amounts does bring improved contentment and mental relaxation enough to improve an objective measure of intellectual function.

I.e., enough money brings contentment, rather than happiness. Very different things. But it is a complex question wwhich it's important to reflect on in a deep way when considering your lifestyle and goals.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics