Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are you not eating raisins? Why does OU give Hechsher?
Previous  1  2

octopus

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 5:51 pm
thank you OU for being so normal!

What should we stop eating next? all fruits and veggies- they may all be infested with bugs! Instead let's eat all the manufactured fake-o food that the frum companies produce in their factories that are made of mostly chemicals and very little food.

yogabird

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 6:00 pm
Why can't a company give a hechsher on foods that need to be checked for insects? (not saying this is necessarily the case with raisins, but in general...

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 6:40 pm
yogabird wrote:
Why can't a company give a hechsher on foods that need to be checked for insects? (not saying this is necessarily the case with raisins, but in general...

I think when people buy a product with a hechsher, they naturally assume that means that it's kosher to eat in its current form, as is. If the supervising agency is counting on the consumer to take additional steps, which are not always so easy and simple, to make it kosher, they would need to clearly state that, and would need to publicize such a change in approach, which runs counter to the current mindset. It might also make that agency look bad if others don't follow suit, as it could appear that they're cutting corners.

yogabird

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 7:37 pm
doctorima wrote:
I think when people buy a product with a hechsher, they naturally assume that means that it's kosher to eat in its current form, as is. If the supervising agency is counting on the consumer to take additional steps, which are not always so easy and simple, to make it kosher, they would need to clearly state that, and would need to publicize such a change in approach, which runs counter to the current mindset. It might also make that agency look bad if others don't follow suit, as it could appear that they're cutting corners.

For the people that mentioned buying products with raisins in them in EY with a badatz, they usually put a small notice somewhere on the package stating that the item needs bedikah. I've seen this on packaged dried fruit, granola, other cereals, even frozen vegetables, with the badatz eida chareidis hechsher.

octopus

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 7:40 pm
doctorima wrote:

when I buy dill and parseley (products of israel) it says I'm supposed to soak in soapy water for three minutes before use.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 9:38 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
actually, I heard that the infestation was in heimishe brands because they didn't store their food properly. I definitely buy dole. I do not check them.
This

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jan 30 2014, 11:17 pm
doctorima wrote:
Interesting, seems to be a machlokes among different supervising agencies, with some being lenient and others machmir:

http://yudelstake.blogspot.com......html

I'm curious if this is a blog that people read for kashrut info (seems to forbid just about everything) or a search engine brought you there.

Chickpea

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 12:06 am
Are craisins also infested?

spring13

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 12:36 am
I'd like to know if our ancestors in Eretz Yisrael used to bring their grapes and figs and dates to the Beis Hamikdash as bikkurim, and then threw them out once they finished saying the words because they assumed they were infested with bugs? Did Rabbi Akiva check his produce with a light box? Did Bruriah peel her strawberries?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 11:10 am
spring13 wrote:
I'd like to know if our ancestors in Eretz Yisrael used to bring their grapes and figs and dates to the Beis Hamikdash as bikkurim, and then threw them out once they finished saying the words because they assumed they were infested with bugs? Did Rabbi Akiva check his produce with a light box? Did Bruriah peel her strawberries?

I think I love you

boro parker

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 11:32 am
tzippibird wrote:
Are craisins also infested?

no

MommytoB

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 11:42 am
spring13 wrote:

From the ou's magazine:
"To properly check for bugs one must have a sensitivity to detail. Insects can hide in hard-to-see places and can be very small. Nevertheless, consuming a miniscule insect would not be considered an averiah unless the creature is identifiable to the naked eye.

Crude microscopes date back to the mid-fifteenth century. By 1674 the powerful microscopes of Anton van Leeuwenhoek were able to detect smaller creatures. However, the Torah was given to us many years before that. Chazal, in their great wisdom, have declared: “Lo nitna Torah lemelachei hashareit, The Torah was not given to angels” (Berachot 25b). The position of most halachic authorities is that one should not have to resort to using extraordinary measures in order to see the bug."

So....no light boxes Smile at least not before microscopes.

http://www.ou.org/jewish_actio.....home/

Barbara

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 11:48 am
imasoftov wrote:
I'm curious if this is a blog that people read for kashrut info (seems to forbid just about everything) or a search engine brought you there.

And I'm trying to figure out if the people writing comments are being sarcastic or not. Revoke the certification of any establishment in Lakewood that advertises food for the Super Bowl? Because, gosh darn it, if you're going to watch football, you need to eat treyf with it?

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jan 31 2014, 2:07 pm
imasoftov wrote:

It is kind of like that. He is extremely machmir on many things. I used to read it (and some of his posts are very legitimate), but after the "Internet Asifa" period I decided to stop reading blogs that have what may be loshon hora.

DrMom

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 3:21 pm
Barbara wrote:
And I'm trying to figure out if the people writing comments are being sarcastic or not. Revoke the certification of any establishment in Lakewood that advertises food for the Super Bowl? Because, gosh darn it, if you're going to watch football, you need to eat treyf with it?

Is there supposed to be a link in this post?

Success10

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 4:32 pm
The bug checking issue has always, well, bugged me, I try to hold by the more stringent approaches, but I have asked myself, as a poster said above, did people not eat broccoli or strawberries in the old country? The only thing I can think of is that in modern times our amazing pesticides have actually produced a new generation of "smart bugs" that can't be washed away with normal measures, and can outlive the pesticides. It's a thought.

sjp613

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 5:26 pm
Back to original topic does anyone know if the sunmaid raisins are a problem they are not OU but where I live I think we were told that they were ok to use without checking

amother

Post Sat, Feb 01 2014, 7:06 pm
My Rav said that American raisins (obviously with an acceptable hechsher) are acceptable). Check with your Rabbi.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 02 2014, 1:27 am
DrMom wrote:
Is there supposed to be a link in this post?

I found this http://yudelstake.blogspot.co.......html
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen