Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
1) With school-age kids, 2) my Hebrew stinks. Hopeless?
Previous  1  2

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 1:26 am
amother wrote:
OP here. Thanks everyone for being my sounding board.

Of course we would not make such a huge move if we weren't really into it! Right now we're not, right now we're just toying with the idea. As I said, we have a while to think about it - MINIMUM 4 years. We'd only go for it if/when we become certain that it is what we want. It's a pretty promising idea, though. I had always wanted to be there but sort of let that dream go when I married DH, who was pretty settled where he already was, and now that he's suggesting it again but at a different stage of life than I originally envisioned, it's time to re-evaluate for both/all of us.

Is there such a thing as a right-wing DL community that is also anglo-comfortable to the extent that you wouldn't be looked down on for not speaking Hebrew well?

It's nice to hear that the general opinion is that kids don't have a hard time at 6-10 years old. I would not have guessed that. I've heard scare stories about how kids go off the derech from not making the transition well... or if their family didn't integrate well enough...

If it's any clarification, I don't even get what went wrong in the "zeh sheli" story. I would probably say things like that multiple times a day. How DO you say "this is mine"?

Husband is in training in a medical-related field. He could do his job with no language, but getting along with coworkers and such is a big part of getting and staying employed...

5mom, thanks for the TV suggestion. I'm not the type to usually watch TV but in this case that actually sounds like a great way to gain exposure!
Sure there are, but you said at minimum 4 years, so why dont you get on the learning hebrew now? Seriously.
But I will tell you something. In my yishuv, the rav did not know one word of english, not one Smile then there was a big influx of anglo olim that may not have known hebrew all that well and the rav learned basic english. I thought that was amazing, to make them feel welcome.
There are for sure communities where hebrew is ok if it is broken or minimal, but you do have a while till you come, so you do really have time to start learning.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 1:35 am
I would certainly try to learn more intensively if we decide to make aliyah, but I have been trying to some degree my whole life (Jewish school education) and I know I am just not at all good at languages! I think my auditory processing is subpar. I have to ask people to repeat themselves a lot even in English. I can do OK in reading and writing (not perfect but passable for a second language learner), listening I miss a ton, and speaking I can do slowly and sound very foolish (like an American who stepped out of the Bible?)

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 1:37 am
amother wrote:
I would certainly try to learn more intensively if we decide to make aliyah, but I have been trying to some degree my whole life (Jewish school education) and I know I am just not at all good at languages! I think my auditory processing is subpar. I have to ask people to repeat themselves a lot even in English. I can do OK in reading and writing (not perfect but passable for a second language learner), listening I miss a ton, and speaking I can do slowly and sound very foolish (like an American who stepped out of the Bible?)
So if you think you have all of those problems with language, start now. You have years to learn.
And not all day schools teach hebrew very well at all, so think of yourself starting from almost scratch.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 1:41 am
smss wrote:
I know I'm going to get bashed for this, but I'm saying it anyway. IMO, that's not enough. the people who succeed in making it here are the ones who came because they LONGED to live in israel and would not move back for anything. (oh, and it also helps if they come with money....)

(WHY don't double quotes work anymore?)
I disagree. At this stage of life, sure, you can only do it if you're really committed. But my original vision to go around when I got married and see how it goes - tons of people do that! I have plenty of friends who did, and know others too. When you're newlyweds you can take certain freedoms such as trying on a community/lifestyle/job for size without risking too much upheaval if it doesn't work. They take it one year at a time, some end up staying forever, and some move back after a few years - they had a beautiful beginning in Israel and then lost nothing by moving back to a place they're MORE familiar with.

A family should only even try if they are really committed and believe they can succeed. But plenty of honeymooners dabble in Israel with only medium commitment, and from what I see they do fine. For me, that's moot already. Just responding to what you said regarding my INITIAL feelings towards living in Israel - which were that it is something I really want, but am not sure I would be able to handle, so would love to give it a try while young and free while leaving future options open. Too late now...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions