Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How cruel is it to chase pigeons?
Previous  1  2

imasinger

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 2:48 pm
anotherima wrote:
Reminds me of this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHrRxQVUFN4

Snicker. Mary Poppins. And here I was, hoping for Tom Lehrer's "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park." http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 4:01 pm
Appropo, my teenage son raises Iranian and Peacock pigeons on our mirpesset.

I never let children scare them or chase them.

On the other hand, when the "street" pigeons try to come and partake of their meals we chase them away! (These guys can eat us out of house and home and pigeon food is expensive...)

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 4:28 pm
imasinger wrote:
Snicker. Mary Poppins. And here I was, hoping for Tom Lehrer's "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park." http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY

You beat me to it.

Blue jay

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 5:10 pm
pigeons are very resilent. You chase them and they fly back to you..
Talk to your kiddos about how pigeons are very helpful and keep the rats away! they eat lots of trash. So we shouldn't chase them , maybe just dance with them. Smile a la Mary Poppins style

spinkles

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 5:15 pm
Tell your kids the stories of gedolim who interrupted their learning in order to help animals who were hungry or in distress. Teach them to see themselves as nurturers.

When my children were young and would try to stamp on ants, I would show the children what the ants were doing, and explain to them that they were carrying the food back to their nest, where little baby ants were waiting for them. We read books about ant colonies so they could picture everything. We did an experiment to see what kind of food the ants like best (left out several choices and watched to see which ones they went to).

I do agree with the poster above who said scaring animals is bad middos. Little children who don't know better should be gently taught that you shouldn't scare another living creature unless the animal is dangerous or is trying to bother you. Scaring animals for sport is mean. (Not referring to OP's kids...they're very young.)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 7:22 pm
It's actually a chessed to chase them. They get complacent and will forget about hawks who will chase, catch and eat them.

DH is constantly keeping them on their toes.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 7:41 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
It's actually a chessed to chase them. They get complacent and will forget about hawks who will chase, catch and eat them.

DH is constantly keeping them on their toes.

Omg, how could I forget all those hawks in Brooklyn?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 8:22 pm
We saw a hawk once, eating a pigeon. It was in Brooklyn.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:12 pm
how would you feel if a giant species of sorts were chasing you for fun ...

sounds cruel ~

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 12:54 am
I'm relieved to know that there are at least a few posters on here who have some sense of compassion, or at least respect for Hashem's creatures.

For those who think it's all in good fun, just wait until a big dog decides to chase your kids. What? He's not going to hurt them. He's just playing! So what if your kids are screaming and terrified?

If you kids are really so desperate for something to do, then you obviously aren't playing with them enough, or giving them enough proper exercise. Other creatures do not need to suffer pointlessly for your amusement.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 1:02 am
I don't buy the theory that it doesn't bother the pigeons. Evidence is to the contrary: They flee. Why would they flee if they were not bothered?

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 1:04 am
P.S. I am not saying the 6-year-old child is cruel. The child does it because he is not thinking/aware. He needs to be made aware so he can grow the trait of compassion beyond pigeons.

Frumdoc

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 5:06 am
Teaching compassion towards animals is one of the ways we can bring our children up with love and compassion to those who are weaker and needy in our communities. It is often a child's first instinct to chase them, some would describe their pack instincts, where they establish their role in their little world -I am bigger and better than x, but smaller and lesser than y.

At some point, this has to be curbed to enable a child to learn the limitations of what is tzar baalei chayim, and what is ok. These are lessons that extrapolate towards all sorts of important principles in life, including respect towards non jews, towards the weak kid they might be tempted to bully or younger siblings.

Running ahead to see the birds scatter is one thing, throwing stones is another. Hashem didn't put them in our world to give us a focus for aggression or torture.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 6:41 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you kids are really so desperate for something to do, then you obviously aren't playing with them enough, or giving them enough proper exercise.

Excuse me!!! We were at the playground. Plenty of things to do.

willow

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 11:07 am
Well when you see my dd chasing the pigeons please be dan lecaf zehus that she is trying to catch it not scare it!!. She honestly thinks we will cook it if we catch one ( well we did say if you manage to catch on we will make pigeon for dinner) so she is always trying.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 11:24 am
Try to have the benefit of the doubt for people. Could be the pigeons broke the "deal."

"They get out of the way of our cars, and we look the other way on the statue defecation." LOL

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 11:30 am
If my child threw rocks at an animal I would have a VERY hard time not going batsh*t crazy.
First, it's a very very bad sign mental health wise to torture animals... and torture doesn't start with full on torture cessions one day.
Second, why on EARTH would they think it's ok?
"Would you want to be thrown stones at?"

I don't allow my kids to "hurt" plants either. Flowers are taken delicately, ditto for fruits and vegetables, no stone throwing or leaf pulling for fun.

I read from a rav that even objects we don't destruct for fun, as we emulate G-d who is the builder.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette