Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can weight loss surgery work for an emotional eater?
Previous  1  2  3

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 6:03 am
ange wrote:
Please don't be offended, I am truly confused.

If are having all these surgeries one still has to limit certain foods, and learns. New way of eating, why go through all the dangers and body changing effects of a surgery. Wy don't people just do the new way of eating and lose weight that way?

I am asking because a relative of mine recently had the lap band I think. She had to be on a liquid diet prior, and is limited after as well. So if she was able to exert the self control to do that, than why not just do it with the help of a dietician, coach, etc. and not have the surgery?

Another person I know had it too and she also has just a handful of foods she can eat now, so why not just eat the handful and skip the surgery if you're going to have to eat that way anyway?

And another relative did it too and 10 years later looks just the same..she never changed her eating habits so her weight loss was negligible.

I am sorry if anyone is offended...that is truly not my intent, its just something I never understood.

I can't answer for the lapband people who have to limit what kinds of food they eat. I did the sleeve and I can eat anything. But I have less capacity.

Maybe the secret of people's successs is that whether you want to or not, you will lose a bunch of weight during the first year after sleeve surgery. That's just how it works. At that point, you are hopefully at a pretty decent weight, even if you are not at goal (BTW in Israel they specifically tell you that the sleeve is not meant for achieving goal but for losing about 65% of the weight you need to lose). As you go through that first "magical" year, you hopefully learn new habits (which are easier to implement since your body limits you) which should be easier to continue in the second year etc. Also, once you've lost a nice amount of weight you being to really enjoy the fruits of the surgery and this in and of itself motivates you to continue. Not everyone succeeds and some people do re-gain their weight (very easy to do) but the surgery gives you a wonderful jump start at weight loss.

I was not able to sustain any control over what I was eating for years, even though I knew all the rules and exercised as well. I just couldn't do it. Now that I am 1.5 years after the surgery, I am like a regular person. I have to watch what I eat. I'm currently attending a 10 session workshop run by a nutritionist and a social worker to help myself succeed. There is no magic. But it's certainly easier to exercise now and success breeds success. Know what I mean?

For the record, we have 3 lapband ladies in the workshop. One of them can eat everything and loves her life. The other two - oy. One of them throws up all day and eats only unhealthy foods. The other one can't get any food down before 1:00 pm even though she is starved. She lives on coffee and chocolate. Interestingly enough, neither one would go back to their fat selves. They have a big challenge dealing with opening and closing the band btw. I do not envy them. It's very stressful.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 8:09 am
ChossidMom wrote:
I can't answer for the lapband people who have to limit what kinds of food they eat. I did the sleeve and I can eat anything. But I have less capacity.

Maybe the secret of people's successs is that whether you want to or not, you will lose a bunch of weight during the first year after sleeve surgery. That's just how it works. At that point, you are hopefully at a pretty decent weight, even if you are not at goal (BTW in Israel they specifically tell you that the sleeve is not meant for achieving goal but for losing about 65% of the weight you need to lose). As you go through that first "magical" year, you hopefully learn new habits (which are easier to implement since your body limits you) which should be easier to continue in the second year etc. Also, once you've lost a nice amount of weight you being to really enjoy the fruits of the surgery and this in and of itself motivates you to continue. Not everyone succeeds and some people do re-gain their weight (very easy to do) but the surgery gives you a wonderful jump start at weight loss.

I was not able to sustain any control over what I was eating for years, even though I knew all the rules and exercised as well. I just couldn't do it. Now that I am 1.5 years after the surgery, I am like a regular person. I have to watch what I eat. I'm currently attending a 10 session workshop run by a nutritionist and a social worker to help myself succeed. There is no magic. But it's certainly easier to exercise now and success breeds success. Know what I mean?

For the record, we have 3 lapband ladies in the workshop. One of them can eat everything and loves her life. The other two - oy. One of them throws up all day and eats only unhealthy foods. The other one can't get any food down before 1:00 pm even though she is starved. She lives on coffee and chocolate. Interestingly enough, neither one would go back to their fat selves. They have a big challenge dealing with opening and closing the band btw. I do not envy them. It's very stressful.

Very well said. I wanted to add that because the sleeve only allows us minimum capacity, we are forced to weigh which foods to eat because there's simply no room for anything else. That forces you to make better choices (most of the time, for me anyway). My entire family's eating habits are changing as a result of my surgery, B"H. My kids joke about how their stomachs "talk to them" and tell them when they're full before they overeat. LOL

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 8:13 am
Last night I was at a sheva brachos. The salads were very so-so. The soup didn't taste very good to my palate and the roll was no big deal. Before I would've eaten just to keep busy. Today it's not worth it. So I ate the main and dessert! Only had one bite of the roll. This never would have happened before. It's got to taste really good for me to bother with something now. (Usually).

amother

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 9:32 am
Any info on how you dealt with the sleeve and nursing?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 9:40 am
I have a friend who got the sleeve done. She lost a lot of weight and looked great, but then she found out that milkshakes and ice cream slide right down with no problem, and she gained almost all of it back. Her doctor refuses to do any more for her until she gets her emotional eating under control.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 12:09 pm
I was nursing my 7 month old son while I had the sleeve surgery. I had to stop nursing for at least 24 hours due to the anesthesia. He was at my MIL while I was recuperating and I did not resume nursing for four days post op. I pumped when necessary. My supply was definitely affected however I was able to nurse for several months after surgery. It can be done but depends on several factors which are out of your control. You might lose your supply and your baby might not resume after several days hiatus. Since the process for insurance approval and all the appointments needed prior surgery, your baby will most likely be old enough to subsist on solids. You may need to supplement with formula.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 12:34 pm
The problem is that my supply isnt really good as is and I need to suplemment already with formula.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 1:42 pm
How old is your baby? Also, have you started the process yet? It takes several months from the first appointment until surgery. You may not be nursing at that point anymore.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 1:50 pm
my baby is about 3 months old.
I havent started the process yet. I heard that if it takes too long from when you do the appointments, get insurance approval etc until you wanna actually do the surgery than it might be too long...
know anything about it?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 2:00 pm
Probably depends on your insurance requirements. If I recall correctly most appointments can be valid for a year. Blood work needs to be recent. You should really ask your surgeon about this.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 2:39 pm
Maybe seeling yourself slim will be a motivation?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 3:21 pm
ange wrote:

If are having all these surgeries one still has to limit certain foods, and learns. New way of eating, why go through all the dangers and body changing effects of a surgery. Wy don't people just do the new way of eating and lose weight that way?

I am asking because a relative of mine recently had the lap band I think. She had to be on a liquid diet prior, and is limited after as well. So if she was able to exert the self control to do that, than why not just do it with the help of a dietician, coach, etc. and not have the surgery?

Another person I know had it too and she also has just a handful of foods she can eat now, so why not just eat the handful and skip the surgery if you're going to have to eat that way anyway?

And another relative did it too and 10 years later looks just the same..she never changed her eating habits so her weight loss was negligible.

I am overweight but not considering any of these surgeries. I wish it was as simple as you say it. I always have a huge appetite and it's really hard to diet. If you get the sleeve it cuts your appetite down so it makes a huge difference in your life. I really wish there was some magic pill to take away my appetite and I would be really thin. When I'm pregnant in the first few months I usually don't have an appetite and I don't eat much. I am able to lose weight and feel good. of course I eat enough for the baby etc. but in all honesty if you were never overweight and struggled with food you can never understand.

I am sorry if anyone is offended...that is truly not my intent, its just something I never understood.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 3:23 pm
ange wrote:

I am overweight but not considering any of these surgeries. I wish it was as simple as you say it. I always have a huge appetite and it's really hard to diet. If you get the sleeve it cuts your appetite down so it makes a huge difference in your life. I really wish there was some magic pill to take away my appetite and I would be really thin. When I'm pregnant in the first few months I usually don't have an appetite and I don't eat much. I am able to lose weight and feel good. of course I eat enough for the baby etc. but in all honesty if you were never overweight and struggled with food you can never understand.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 10:20 pm
amother wrote:
my baby is about 3 months old.
I havent started the process yet. I heard that if it takes too long from when you do the appointments, get insurance approval etc until you wanna actually do the surgery than it might be too long...
know anything about it?

Every office works differently. The place I went to we had our very first appointment for a consult mid-October and got all the tests done within a month. Surgery was mid-December so there was less than two months from when I decided until I did it.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Feb 19 2014, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:

The sleeve did take away my appetite, although I did not really recognize it in the beginning. I am learning to read my body's signals more and I realize that while my stomach isn't hungry I reach out and nibble something only because it's right there. Since the sleeve I literally have to remind myself to eat some days. In the beginning I thought about food all day (that's the way I was before) but food is really ceasing to be my whole world now B"H.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 2:06 am
Many people find that alot of their hunger goes away for a while after sleeve surgery. That's because they remove the part of the stomach where the hunger hormone (ghrelin) is manufactured. Sadly, the hunger comes back. My doctors and nutritionists explained to me that there is still alot that is not understood about the whole hormonal connection. There seems to be a big hormonal advantage the first year.

For the record, my hunger never went away. I was starved right after the surgery lol. The big fat men in the ward who had also had the surgery (and had no hunger) were laughing at me as I talked about wanting to eat a shnitzel!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise