Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
How bad is it to have DH take online course for me?
Previous  1  2  3

groisamomma

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 8:34 am
Kugglegirl wrote:
I can't imagine a professional grad program that would not include statistics!

What are you talking about? Statistic is useful, but it's definitely something required of undergrads, not on the graduate level. I've done two graduate degrees and neither one required Statistics at the graduate level, it was something I took as an undergrad and I am happy I did because yes, it makes it simple to read studies in professional journals just as you said.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 8:41 am
I never needed statistics and I have 2 undergrad degrees. (I have taken every other math class under the sun though)

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 9:53 am
groisamomma wrote:
What are you talking about? Statistic is useful, but it's definitely something required of undergrads, not on the graduate level. I've done two graduate degrees and neither one required Statistics at the graduate level, it was something I took as an undergrad and I am happy I did because yes, it makes it simple to read studies in professional journals just as you said.

I agree, to me Chem and stats, if they are not part of OPs actual professional education sound more like undergrad requirements than grad. I'm curious as well what field/ program this is.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 10:16 am
If you don't know how a graph can be manipulated to make the viewer think something, which a statistics course teaches, you cannot call yourself educated at an advanced level in Chol. You will believe anything you see, and, you will not know what people are talking about when they discuss any science.

If you don't know how basic non-organic chemistry works, you cannot call yourself an educated person at an advanced level in Chol.

For that, you need to know that acid plus base yields a salt and water. You need to know what oxidation is. You need to know what water does. Or, don't study science. That's ok, too. But if you want a graduate degree in anything Chol that isn't pure talk, it cannot be a mystery to you how matter works.

And, even a degree in sociology, psych, history, anthro, poly sci means nothing if you don't know what a Bell curve is, or the difference between a mean and an average.

Do you want to get a blank look on your face in a professional setting when somebody mentions a distribution? That won't look good AT ALL.

You are much smarter now and you can do it.

ascsam

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 11:05 am
Totally assur, you've got:
Lying
Cheating
Stealing
G'neva Da'as.
Genearl jerkiness to everyone else in your program.

No way.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 1:24 pm
How bad is it if I send DH to toivel for me?

PAMOM

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 1:51 pm
I have friends getting grad degrees in education , psychology, social work, and more --all need grad courses in statistics.

octopus

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 2:57 pm
if you are going for a major in psychology (undergrad) statistics is a pre-req.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 3:04 pm
Your kidding right!?!?!

blini

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 5:00 pm
Seriously? Are you pranking us? Otherwise by even asking, you know this is wrong. Do you have kids? Are you going to sit each examination for them? Pfft. Have your beloved act as your mentor and coach. But in the end, in your heart, you know you have to do it yourself.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 5:32 pm
OP, I can't believe you even asked the question. You know perfectly well that it's not OK, and in more ways than one. There is no "heter" for fraud.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 16 2014, 6:04 pm
Umm hello newcomers...did you not read the rest of the thread past the first post??

imasoftov

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 4:32 am
amother wrote:
Umm hello newcomers...did you not read the rest of the thread past the first post??

I amend my question to "if due to a complication that is not my fault, my mikveh night gets postponed, how bad is it if I go myself on the original date, and send DH on the new one?"

Happy18

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 5:00 am
Ladies the OP got the message. I do know people who admit to having their spouse/parent/sibling do college or graduate school work for them and I never feel quite the same way about them again.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 7:12 am
Asking for a heter on Imamother? If you think it's possible to get one, ask a rav.

Frenchfry

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 5:13 pm
I'm not in any way saying that I think what OP is proposing is in any way OK, but her post leads me to wonder.....

Why isn't there some way of prevention in place, or is there?

You'd think that crooks would make a pretty penny by taking courses in other people's names over and over again. What's the catch? Are those who designed these courses relying on the assumption that mankind is honest?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 6:50 pm
Why all this bashing? the op made it clear that these are not core requirements needed for her training. If this is the only way she can get the degree, and she is very passionate and knoledgable in the field she is going for, she can probably get a heter. Personaly, my dh is going for a degree and he had a terrible education. We do the assighments together and I end up writing up most essays. He takes courses, practices and watches videos in his free time. He told more than one rabbi about it and they were fine. I think this is a better idea than having to lie about income in order to get programs on a measly wage for the rest of our lives.

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 7:05 pm
Frenchfry wrote:
I'm not in any way saying that I think what OP is proposing is in any way OK, but her post leads me to wonder.....

Why isn't there some way of prevention in place, or is there?

You'd think that crooks would make a pretty penny by taking courses in other people's names over and over again. What's the catch? Are those who designed these courses relying on the assumption that mankind is honest?

Yes.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions