Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Silver tip roast

frestn

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 9:51 am
After only buying expensive-cut roasts (usually brick roast), I decided to save money in the butcher this time and buy a silver-tip. However, I'm concerned that the silver tip will be a lot less tender melt-in your mouth than my usually brick roast because it's supposedly a very lean cut and suggested for ground meat, not necessarily a Shabbos roast (with lots of guests that I want to impress!)

If I'm cooking it with a homemade BBQ sauce, does anyone know the best way to cook it so that it's soft and tender? Will it be comparable to an expensive, tender cut if cooked right or am I doomed to have a tough roast?

asd3

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 9:52 am
Marinate it in red wine first overnight. I do it to all my roasts it makes them very tender

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Mar 05 2014, 10:04 am
I love those silver tip roasts. They are about five pounds. I pat it dry with a paper towel, throw a lot of spices on the tinfoil, put the roast on top of the tinfoil, throw some more spices on top of the roast, then wrap it up tightly and well in the tinfoil. Three layers of tinfoil.

Then it goes into a pre-heated 400 F degree oven for three hours, or three hours and fifteen minutes if it is unusually heavy, over five pounds. Set a loud timer.

Then, it cools for a half hour still wrapped, and is then eaten or put in the fridge, still wrapped. It's moist and fine. As you eat it, put it back in its tinfoil wrapper.

I use a sheet cake pan, not a roasting pan.

Because it's wrapped, the oven doesn't get dirty.

There might be liquid in the pan at the end. I pour some off, but I leave some, to keep the meat moist in the fridge.

The spices are lots of garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, oregano, and a little cumin. We eat the meat cold with horse radish.

If it was frozen, I leave it out in the air for a few hours before roasting it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics