Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Researching communities - your input please!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 5:38 pm
Shalom, We are in the early stages of researching communities. We have a few ideas about our ideal - and of course we are aware that we will likely have to sacrifice something or a few things. But here you go-

In American terms, we consider ourselves modern yeshivish - that is to say our lives are centered around Torah learning and mitzvos, and (not but) at the same time we love secular subjects like history, science, technology. We send our kids to BY and Ner, and (not but) are friends with Jews with very different hashkofos.

With the understanding that we will have to make concessions and/sacrifices in our "ideal", these are the biggies:

We have a child with some special needs, who will need a school with a strong inclusion (mainstream and special ed) program and low student:teacher ratio for this child. (I've heard there are excellent schools in the Gush like this)

We are seeking a religious neighborhood where streets and businesses are closed on Shabbat and Yom Tov, AND where Jews of different hashkafos get along well. (I've heard Ma'ale Adumim Mitzpe Nevo is like this)

Last, we are looking for a Yishuv, Moshav or small town where the pace of life is slower, people friendlier, some Anglos, French and whatnot, but mainly Israeli. Like Karnei Shomron, Neve Aliza?

And last, of course, home rental (we won't buy for a few years) prices closer to the less expensive end.

I'm thinking prob Somewhere in Yehuda. We are open to the South, plan to have a car, but would still like to be within 1 hr train from J'm.

Thoughts? I've gone through the other threads. Looking for new ideas! Please share your experiences. THANK YOU!

Posting anonymously b/c we haven't yet announced our plans Smile

boysrus

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 10:35 pm
just wanted to wish you hatzlacha in your search adn your eventual aliyah. When you wake up in the morning, hopefullly you will find lots of more helpful responses to your post from our Israeli imamother friends!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 17 2014, 11:03 pm
Thanks Copper Smile We are going to our first NBN meeting in a few weeks, which is very exciting!

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 12:57 am
So...it's true that in Mitzpe Nevo the street is quiet on Shabbat/YT but it's NOT "closed". Not in the sense of Sanhedria where there's an actual gate they pull shut. I'm also going to say that not all residents of MN are as tolerant of other hashkafot as we wish...and there's very little property available (rental or purchase) in the neighbourhood; they're out of space.

That said, Ma'ale Adumim as a whole is very tolerant, and though the roads are open you may want to consider other neighbourhoods. I don't know what to tell you about the SPED system; it's very hit or miss depending on the teacher any given year (and you've got to be kidding about the small class size if you're mainstreaming) but they do send to Jerusalem if you want to for school.

mandksima

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 3:18 am
You can contact me about Karnei Shomron if you want details as I live here. There is a mix here but the overall leaning is more modern Orthodox than you sound. Doesn't mean you won't find your place here. I am friends with lots of women of different hashkafot and don't feel pressured to be religious any differently than I wish to but living in a Dati Leumi area means eating at everyone's houses who eat rabbanut hecksherim, having movies/TV as a strong influence even if you don't own a TV, Bnei Akiva is strong, boys and girls socialize often and also here, the streets in Neve Aliza are closed on Shabbat but there is no gate, security vehicles parole and an occasional car goes through even though there are signs.

In the surrounding areas, there are non-religious and religious mixed and everyone is friendly. We always wish non-religious residents a Shabbat Shalom and they always smile back. Politics can be strong here but I am totally not involved with that. We have very good services here and I have 2 special ed kids that thrived here. Lots of Anglos but an Israeli yishuv. Having a car makes life much more comfortable here although I know some who don't have and they are fine. It is hard to find rentals sometimes but not impossible. Buying prices are still cheaper than other Anglo areas but not cheap like they used to be.

Good luck in finding the right place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions