Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Convertible carseat that's easy to install (for taxis)

CP123

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:40 pm
Hi,

My daughter is a year old, but a bit underweight. She has outgrown her infant carseat by height, and we need to buy her a convertible seat. As she still weighs very little, we must have something that rearfaces for a while. But, we don't own a car and so we need a carseat that is easy to install, as it will be in and out of taxis, my in-laws' car, my parents' car, etc. Most convertible carseats have all sorts of tethers and things, and I'm worried about being able to install it properly and quickly each time I get in and out of a taxi. I also can't rely on LATCH in all cars. Does anyone know of a convertible carseat that is super easy to install via seatbelt? We're in Israel, so it can be an American, European, or Israeli model; many are available here, so let's assume that's not a factor.

Thanks!!

chani4

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:42 pm
I didn't look into it completly but I heard the chicco nextfit

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 18 2014, 1:45 pm
You want one with built in lockoffs so you won't need a locking clip if the seat belt is being used to install it. Take a look at Britax models or the True Fit as models with that feature. They also do have the push button LATCH connectors if you do use LATCH which is much easier than hook models.

smss

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 11:44 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
You want one with built in lockoffs so you won't need a locking clip if the seat belt is being used to install it. Take a look at Britax models or the True Fit as models with that feature. They also do have the push button LATCH connectors if you do use LATCH which is much easier than hook models.

that's a good point, but the britax car seats are SO heavy (don't know about true fit). I can't see lugging that around when traveling by taxi. are there any lightweight car seats that have that feature?

m+m

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 11:45 am
chani4 wrote:
I didn't look into it completly but I heard the chicco nextfit

Great car seat, easy to install, but HEAVY!! you wouldn't want to shlep it in at out of a taxi

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 12:38 pm
The Britaxes aren't as heavy as some others Wink

The Combi Coccoro is great for seatbelt installs but has a very small height and weight limit, so unless a child is on the small side, it will be outgrown before you get too much use out of it...very lightweight.

The Cosco Scenera would be my next bet for a lightweight seat, but a lot of installs require adjustment via pool noodle Sad

The Britax classic models (I have a RA, but I think the Marathon does too) can work well with the carseat-stroller thing (Go-Go Kidz? Sit n Stroll) and can be used like that...

little_mage

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 2:08 pm
We have the Cosco Scenera and no car-so exactly the situation you're describing. I find it very easy to install, although personally I feel that it's much more secure forward facing then rearfacing.

4eyes

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 5:54 pm
Britax also has a little wheelie cart that is great for taxiing with the seats.

CP123

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 4:02 pm
Thanks, some good suggestions here! The wheelie cart is a good idea, I'm just not sure it's available here in Israel. Maybe I could get someone to bring it to me from the US. Anyone know how much the britax wheelie thing costs? Is it a UK product or an American one?

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 5:13 pm
http://www.britaxusa.com/acces.....-cart

says it's $79.99

for that price why don't they just put wheels on the car seats that can go inward & a handle on top that can pull out ... for easy mobility

goodmorning

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 7:42 pm
greenfire wrote:
http://www.britaxusa.com/accessories/car-seat-travel-cart

says it's $79.99

for that price why don't they just put wheels on the car seats that can go inward & a handle on top that can pull out ... for easy mobility

They do: http://www.amazon.com/Lilly-Go.....BUP1A
Not that I've ever used them -- reviews indicate that they combine the worst of all worlds.

We have connected our car seat to a rolling suitcase -- works well if you are traveling. (Something like this but a homemade version: http://www.amazon.com/Travelin.....N3ASO)

OP, I don't mean to burst your bubble here, but in my (not very extensive) experience, no toddler car seat is particularly easy to install (they are made to be put into cars and left there) and certainly not easy to lug around. (So if you want to take a taxi to a doctor's office or to go shopping somewhere and need to have the car seat with you ... It is very very hard to do past the snap-n-go stage.) I find that in the vast majority of cases, it is easier to walk or use public transportation than it is to bother with cars eats. (Though I live in NY and the subway system is much easier for strollers than buses are.) It also might be helpful to leave your car seat in the car you use most often (e.g. your parents' or your in-laws') if they don't mind -- or even to have two inexpensive ones and leave one in a very commonly used car.

Then again, if you come up with a great solution, I'd be very happy to be proven wrong!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics