Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Will I ever pass this maths test?! So upset!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 11:14 am
I want to be a nurse and have passed the admissions test (maths and english) so I have now been invited to an interview.
The only thing is I don't have the maths requirements and therefore I am having to obtain this certificate. There are two tests, one I have already passed (the non calculator one). I have still to pass the calculator test. I have taken it twice now and failed. I cannot obtain the certificate until I pass both the tests, and both times I thought I did ok on the calculator test but the pass mark is 70% which I think is quite high and I got 65%. It is so embarrassing that I have been there twice and failed both times. I have to pay to take the test each time. I have booked another test for next week and I am just praying I pass this time. I really need to pass by the following Monday as that is when my interview is, and I need to show them that I have passed - even though it won't be the official certificate, which would take a few weeks to be sent to me, at least it would be a test report saying I passed.

I am really upset! I so badly want to do this course but how can I pass this maths test? Do you think there is hope for me?

sayinghi

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 1:18 pm
Are these tests to be able to start nursing school or a nursing job?

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 1:23 pm
How can anyone here answer that without discussing math with you
Math was always my weakness too
Maybe try the statistics made fun, calculus made fun series

amother

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 1:44 pm
sayinghi wrote:
Are these tests to be able to start nursing school or a nursing job?

school

Bruria

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 2:00 pm
Don't give up, you will pass!! What you need is a decent studying schedule and maybe a tutor.
Make this a priority in your life, go to a library or some place quiet with no distractions , and study, study, study!!

cbg

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 3:22 pm
Lots of Tefillot. Say "Beshem Hashem Na'ase ve'matzliach" before your test.

penguin

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 3:26 pm
Have you considered asking someone to tutor you in the material?

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 3:34 pm
Do you find out what questions or topics you got wrong, or do you just get a number answer? The way to pass tests is usually to work through lots and lots of practice problems, especially in your problem areas. Were you passing practice tests before you failed the real thing?

DrMom

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 1:17 pm
Is this a standardized test? If so, I'm sure there is some Barron's or Kaplan or whatever book you can buy to review the material.

Are you in the US? Pop over to Barnes and Noble (or the equivalent wherever you are -- in the UK? You said "maths"...) or browse on Amazon to get some review material and practice, pracice, practice. Don't just keep re-testing without doing anything different to prepare.

BTW, what exactly is a "calculator test?" What types of questions are there on such a test?

amother

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 8:49 pm
DrMom wrote:
Is this a standardized test? If so, I'm sure there is some Barron's or Kaplan or whatever book you can buy to review the material.

Are you in the US? Pop over to Barnes and Noble (or the equivalent wherever you are -- in the UK? You said "maths"...) or browse on Amazon to get some review material and practice, pracice, practice. Don't just keep re-testing without doing anything different to prepare.

BTW, what exactly is a "calculator test?" What types of questions are there on such a test?

I've got a few books which I am learning from. I am practicing a lot. I am learning as much as I can. On the calculator test there is a range of topics covered in 30 questions, involving number work, percentages, interpreting data, shapes and measures, and more, it sounds easy (and in a few topics I get 100 percent of the marks), it's just that some of the questions are quite hard, and you don't get that much time and a lot of it is multiple choice - which is not easy at all as they try and make it harder for you this way.
But I've got another test booked for Wednesday so I'm PRAYING I pass this time. I would absolutely love to pass, it would put the biggest smile on my face! Smile

amother

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 8:51 pm
and it will be so humiliating for me if the man at the desk tells me I failed again! Sad

Bruria

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 9:19 pm
amother wrote:
and it will be so humiliating for me if the man at the desk tells me I failed again! Sad
Stop posting and go study!!!Tongue Out

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 9:21 pm
amother wrote:
I've got a few books which I am learning from. I am practicing a lot. I am learning as much as I can. On the calculator test there is a range of topics covered in 30 questions, involving number work, percentages, interpreting data, shapes and measures, and more, it sounds easy (and in a few topics I get 100 percent of the marks), it's just that some of the questions are quite hard, and you don't get that much time and a lot of it is multiple choice - which is not easy at all as they try and make it harder for you this way.
But I've got another test booked for Wednesday so I'm PRAYING I pass this time. I would absolutely love to pass, it would put the biggest smile on my face! Smile

Let's get down to practical tactics, in addition to tefillot. How did you do in the practice tests? I got an impression from your answers that you do get scores for each areas. Are there specific areas that you don't get marks? Or is it more general running-out-of-time issues? Very basic but are you using your calculator correctly? Math is one area where it really makes difference if you can find a good tutor, to work through some knotty questions. Personally 70% doesn't seem to be too onerous of a pass score.
Good luck, hope you get some time to review and rest over chol hamoed and the rest of yomtov.

DrMom

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 10:22 pm
Keep drilling yourself omly in the areas where you DON'T get 100%.

Also, do you understand the explanations of the questions you are getting wrong?

Peanut2

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 11:43 pm
Practice. Does your book explain how to go about answering each question or question type? Do you know what you are getting wrong?

Make sure to go over the things you are getting wrong and understand why you are getting it wrong and how to get it right. Then do another similar question and see if you do it correctly this time.

How are you pacing yourself? You need to find a strategy that works for you. Does your book offer any advice? Are you getting stressed out? Try to answer as many questions correctly. If you are not penalized for incorrect answers you can always fill in the bubbles for C at the very end for any questions you didn't get to. Hopefully there won't be any or very few.

Behatzlacha!

amother

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 12:05 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Let's get down to practical tactics, in addition to tefillot. How did you do in the practice tests? I got an impression from your answers that you do get scores for each areas. Are there specific areas that you don't get marks? Or is it more general running-out-of-time issues? Very basic but are you using your calculator correctly? Math is one area where it really makes difference if you can find a good tutor, to work through some knotty questions. Personally 70% doesn't seem to be too onerous of a pass score.
Good luck, hope you get some time to review and rest over chol hamoed and the rest of yomtov.

Thank you for your reply. I do get told each time where I scored high/low, and the first time I got high in a few areas such as number, probability and statistics and did poorly in shapes and measures. The second time I took it, I did worse in the former areas and got 100 percent in shapes and measures. As such I am just learning all the topics, memorising all the formulas, and doing practice questions.
I think that I answered two questions wrong on the last test purely because the answer I got on my calculator was a price, which I rounded up to the nearest thousand pounds and I think I should have written the whole display including the pennies. This is quite annoying as I was only 5% off passing so maybe those two marks would have brought me up to the 70%.
The pass mark changes with each test according to level of difficulty so all I can do is get as many right as I possibly can each time and please G-d this should be the last time I take the test!
Thank you everyone for your encouragement Smile

amother

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 12:08 am
Bruria wrote:
Don't give up, you will pass!! What you need is a decent studying schedule and maybe a tutor.
Make this a priority in your life, go to a library or some place quiet with no distractions , and study, study, study!!

Thank you!

amother

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 12:09 am
DrMom wrote:
Keep drilling yourself omly in the areas where you DON'T get 100%.

Also, do you understand the explanations of the questions you are getting wrong?

It is hard to remember as it it done on the computer and I don't find out which questions I got wrong or right :s

techiemom

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 12:26 am
I'm math challenged so I empathize. As a teacher, we tell kids to go through a test and answer questions that they are sure of, then go back and fill in the others. I can see where you might get stressed if you keep hitting ones you don't know. Then you can take Peanut2's suggestion and if you run out of time, just guess if you're not penalized.

Also, my daughter recently used https://www.khanacademy.org/math to help pass an entrance test. Good luck!

chaos

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 12:49 am
If you find that you're doing poorly because you are running out of time, keep in mind that for the multiple choice questions, you might be able to use your time more effectively if you estimate and use shortcut rather than solving for an exact answer. By estimating, you can generally eliminate more of the wrong answers quickly. Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics