Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
University of Haifa International School

amother

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 2:37 pm
DH and I are both considering making aliyah and attending grad school in Israel. He likes the University of Haifa International School. He likes what he's heard about their program and he is gung-ho to make Aliyah next year. We've been debating Aliyah for awhile, his Hebrew is non-existent and so he has no interest in the Technion or the regular program. DH is "stuck" in his current job and cannot get promoted without a masters degree.
I have my bachelors in education, but I'm burning out in the classroom after 5 years of teaching. I don't want to teach 30 children daily anymore. I want to work in groups of 2-3 kids, max. I liked the look of their art therapy program and I like what is online, but I don't know any art therapists in Israel.
I'm petrified!
I don't know anyone who went to University of Haifa International School. I don't know anyone who lives in Haifa. I'm nervous about the community in Haifa. What are schools like? I have a 5 year old, a 4 year old, and a baby.
My aunt told me that if we move to Israel I'll be killing my kids.
ADVICE PLEASE!

ValleyMom

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 8:40 pm
My daughter went to high school for one year in Kiryat Motzkin which is at the base of Haifa--in Irsale they call it a suburb. It's a HUGE city very ethnic and diverse population. It looks, smells and sounds like NYC.
Parking and driving is terrible. Of ALL the places I visited Haifa was my least favorite.

That being said I did visit the orthodox community at the highest level of Haif and it was a little prettier but still very gritty--big city feel.

People move to Israel so their children can walk to and from school and play outside their houses with neighborhood kids. This is NOT what I saw at all.

Also, Haifa is a city built on the side of a mountain with neighborhoods built on different levels.

What can I say... I wasn't crazy about Haifa. Also, it only had TWO kosher restaurants. The one I went to was beyond gross.

amother

Post Thu, May 29 2014, 9:16 pm
There is an all-religious suburb of haifa, kiryat shmuel. We recently looked into it. It would be worthwhile to find out more, the people seem really nice.

ally

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 1:15 am
I would really question the idea of International schools first.
Firstly, the tuition is usually significantly higher (closer to American tuition- I know the med program is ~$25000) than the Israeli Universities (which are around 10000 NIS/year).

Secondly, as far as I understand, most people doing these degrees are planning to move out of Israel at the end (or for an MBA, internationally recognized may be desirable but desirability is also associated with the reputation of the University. I am not sure how well recognized Haifa U is). In Israel, I am not sure that an international degree will entirely help your job prospects. It is difficult to find jobs which do not require some level of competency in Hebrew.

Finally, I'm not sure what your field is, but I know for example that at the Technion, undergrad is all taught in Hebrew but for graduate degrees, if there is a non-hebrew speaker in the class they can request the class be given in English. Many of the Universities also offer their own "ulpan", at reduced rates (although you get some ulpan free when you make aliyah as well).

ocee

Post Fri, May 30 2014, 1:59 am
I don't know the universities, but Haifa is beautiful! Green, lush, ocean view, diverse, and Eljyahu hanavi is buried there.
Look into it...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions