Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Rib steak on the Stovetop

Fave

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 2:52 pm
I need an easy recipe for rib steak. I don't have a grill. I also don't want to use any of the commercial sauces for dietic reasons

jflower

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 4:31 pm
Do you have a grill pan? This is what I do:

Rinse steaks & pat dry with paper towels
Spray steaks with few sprays of xtra virgin olive oil, then bit of salt & pepper
Let sit about 30 min.
Spray grill pan with Pam & when very hot, put steaks in pan. Cover with splatter screen (this might get a bit messy)
Turn over when no longer pink. Sometimes I have to turn back over to redo 1st side.
Remove steaks from pan with tongs & cut off a bit to see if inside of steak is done to your liking.

Steaks get grill marks from the pan & are delicious.

mandksima

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 4:34 pm
Do you own a stove top grill pan? Those are the best. It is a frying pan with ridges so that it mimics the grill lines you would get on an outside grill. You can make a spice rub mix out of dry spices - paprika, sweet and hot, garlic, onion, black pepper, sea salt, cinnamon, cumin, ground mustard and corriander. Some recipes call for a little brown sugar but you can omit if you like. You can rub a little oil onto the steak and then rub in the spice rub (you can also skip the oil if you want.) Let it sit as long as you can, at least 20 min, and then fry steak on both sides to preferred doneness.

Fave

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 7:54 pm
Thanks - my issue with grilling steak on my grill pan is that the smell is overwhelming in my small windowless kitchen - takes 24 hours to clear out. Did anyone try doing it in a covered pot or in the oven on broiler setting?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 8:01 pm
Fave wrote:
Thanks - my issue with grilling steak on my grill pan is that the smell is overwhelming in my small windowless kitchen - takes 24 hours to clear out. Did anyone try doing it in a covered pot or in the oven on broiler setting?
do you have a good working broiler attached to your oven, or just a broil setting for the regular oven?

Fave

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 8:06 pm
Broiler setting

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 8:25 pm
You can sear the meat in a scorching hot pan for just a minute on each side.
Then transfer the steak to a cookie sheet or broiler pan and place it on the closest rack possible to the fire source in the oven preheated to broil.
The only seasoning it needs is a generous coating of coarse salt and pepper on each side.
Serve immediately or wrap right away each piece tightly in foil, but still serve within a few minutes.

Fave

Post Tue, Jun 10 2014, 8:27 pm
Thanks will try tom!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen