Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
13 years old ds wants a pocket knife

amother

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 3:17 pm
Would you get it for him?

flmommy

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 3:28 pm
If he is responsible yes, my responsible 10 year old has one. Make a bid deal out of how you trust him and teach him the proper way of handling it and where it can't go ie. school etc.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 3:38 pm
flmommy wrote:
If he is responsible yes, my responsible 10 year old has one. Make a bid deal out of how you trust him and teach him the proper way of handling it and where it can't go ie. school etc.

Op here
What does he need it for. Dh thinks it's dangerous.

anonimouse

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 3:48 pm
boys that age like having pocket knives and they can be useful. Would he be happy with a swiss army knife? That's what we gave our son and I actually find myself utilizing his services a lot. (he always has it in his pocket, but I often can't find my scissors, etc.)

ETA- if you have concerns that he's going to do something dangerous with it, or he's shown himself to be unstable, that might be different. In that case, I would speak to a mechanech to get an eitzah

amother

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 5:22 pm
Op here
Ds is responsible. Which is a good pocket knife for that age?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 6:54 pm
get one with a whole bunch of tools. don't get him a tiny one. I liked having a pocket knife at that age, and I still have one. you never know when it will come in handy. I like the victorinox one we have, but it's currently selling for $50. I wouldn't spend that much on a kid. why not ask him which tools he wants? \

oh, and I would have no objection to my kid having one at that age.

octopus

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 7:39 pm
I would not be happy with a ten year old having a pocket knife. You should ask yourself- is this something the child will keep at home in the toolbox? or is this going in his pocket everywhere with him? Because if it is the latter, he has no business whatsoever taking it to school or camp. Keep that in mind.

octopus

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 7:40 pm
I don't know why I read the title as a ten year old. I see now we are talking thirteen year olds. But my opinion doesn't change. It doesn't belong in school or camp.

forever21

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 8:45 pm
I would be nervous if my son was hanging around with a kid who had a pocket knife. What do they need it for? I can only imagine what would happen if he brought it to school and took it out to show his friends and a teacher or principal saw him.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 8:47 pm
For a responsible kid? Totally cool. Just not at camp or at school.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 17 2014, 9:14 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
For a responsible kid? Totally cool. Just not at camp or at school.

I agree. You just have to know the kid. Some are 13 going on 40 and some are 13 going on 6.

What does he need it for? He doesn't. But if he has a variety of tools, he can use them for tinkering and minor repairs as well as opening cartons and cans, peeling oranges, and so on. If he's responsible and lucky he may have it for years and years.

Just don't let him bring it into an airline security line or to the Israeli consulate or any Federal building or courthouse or national landmark site like the Statue of Liberty as it WILL be confiscated.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:24 pm
Bump
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children