Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you use glass for both milchags and fleishags?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 3:43 am
I grew up MO using glass bowls and dishes for both. We also had a wooden table which we used with place-mats for both. DH used a glass table with a table cloth on it for fleishags and place-mats for milchags when I married him and we continued this practice. A friend of mine was shocked that I used glass bowls interchangeably for both growing up. Is this a common practice?

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 3:57 am
Glass is non porous and therefore doesn't absorb. Yes, we use glasses and glass bowls for both

amother

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 4:04 am
Yes. I use glass for meat and dairy, but only for cold food. I was taught that once a hot food is placed on glass, it changes from parve to whatever that item was.

heidi

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 4:13 am
Gee amother, I understand your need to post this very personal piece of info. anonymously. Good you did, cause you're wrong. Glass does not become meat (or dairy) even if a hot food of that sort is used on it.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 4:16 am
[quote="]Gee amother, I understand your need to post this very personal piece of info. anonymously. Good you did, cause you're wrong. Glass does not become meat (or dairy) even if a hot food of that sort is used on it.[/quote]

Scratching Head

JewishMommyNYC

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 5:13 am
All I know is sephardm hold that they can use glass for both. ashkenaz are not supposed to use both it is not their minhag. Maybe MO have a third practice but the above is what I know.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 7:02 am
Please keep in mind that Pyrex is not necessarily in the same category as real glass, you need to ask your LOR...as some poskim hold it to be the same as glass, and others don't. The Rema treats glass as something that needs hagala between milchigs and fleishigs, but since there is a valid halachic opinion (and the opinon of R' Yosef Karo) that it can be used for both, there is what to rely on if you use glass for both.

Happy18

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 7:08 am
While halachically I believe as long as its real glass and not pyrex or another similar type "glass" its allowed, I don't. I know people who do, I'm just not comfortable with it because its not how I grew up. Also, many of the glass things in my kitchen are made of pyrex so I feel like it would just be to confusing to remember whats real glass and what isn't.

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 7:10 am
Yes. We would use glass for both if needed. But we had separate simply because it was more practical this way and of course it matched the set ;-). But drinking glasses amd desert plates, all the time.

At a simcha we would always borrow the desert plates from a few of my sibligs who had similar glass dishes sets and it was never marked.
Its GLASS.

And our table is milchig. We use place mats or a table cloth for fleishig.

chani8

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 7:32 am
I'm still trying to get used to using glass for both, but DD insists. I never know which utensil to use to get stuff out of the pan with - If the food is dairy, I use a dairy knife. But the glass pan used to be only on the fleshig side, even though I don't think I ever really put fleshig in it anyway. Oh well. The joys of nusach Israeli cooking.

Talya

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 7:54 am
I use drinking glasses for both but they don't have hot liquids in them. I've been told that if I cook something in glass then I can only use it for whatever I cooked in it and pareve.

miracleshappen

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 7:54 am
I was taught that glass cannot be used for both milchig and fleishig as a KLI RISHON-meaning you can't use the same pyrex dish to COOK both milchig and fleishig in. However, for everything else its fine to use glass for both ie serving, prepping, eating, etc.

mazal555

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 8:11 am
This really depends on who you are. I am Sephardic so I use glass for both including visions pots. I don't understand what the issue is with the table. The way that you used the table seems fine. it's only an issue if the table is dirty so you don't need to have separate placemats you just need to clean them in between. So it sounds like you are Sephardic. Smile

Raisin

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 8:36 am
the shul I daven in is very ashkenazi and they have one set of jugs, salad bowls and glasses for meat and dairy.

SBM13

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 10:30 am
In my house growing up we always used glass cups for both. I thought everyone did that but I recently found out its all a minhug. Everyone has there own things. Dont worry about what others do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen