Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Getting rid of the smell of mothballs

amother

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 11:48 am
So I was at someones house for a week, and the place was full of mothballs. I came home and everything reeks of mothballs. All out clothing, toys, carriage, infant seat, wallets... every little thing that was there.
I tried washing one load twice with baking soda, but the smell was still there.
im at my wits end! any advice on how to get rid of this smell would be appreciated immensly!

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 5:16 pm
As you've already discovered, baking soda is not effective against mothballs.
Charcoal will trap the vapors, but you're not going to want to put black stuff on your clothes. wrap some charcoal briquettes in a thick fabric to keep the black from getting all over the clothes. Put the offending items in a box with the charcoal--PLAIN charcoal, not quick-ingnite, which is impregnated with lighter fluid--and leave for a few days.

But the best cure is lots and lots of fresh air. Hang the things up in front of a breezy window or on a porch, or best of all, outdoors if you can.

Are you sure it's all mothballs and not mold odor?

Last edited by zaq on Fri, Jun 27 2014, 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

cbg

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 7:17 pm
Try washing things with white vinegar. Yes everything will smell like vinegar, but vinegar smell goes away quickly. Just test the vinegar on an unnoticeable place to make sure it doesn't fade your clothing.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 2:09 pm
OP here. thanks for your replies.
First of all, yea, am sure its moth balls. at the end of out stay I actually saw the balls on the floor of the room...
anyhow, I washed everything out with lots of vinegar, a lot of the clothing even twice, and BH I think the smell basically came out, more or less.
I did have things like toys and such kind of things that still smelled, so I sprayed it all with vinegar and left it out for a few days, and it helped for most things too. At this point I think its my crocs and some other things that are made of rubber that still smell. looks like rubber keeps the smell in the most. am hoping that with time and fresh air the smell with get out.

any other ideas would be great!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry