Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
What are you making before the fast?
Previous  1  2

sweetmom6

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 10:43 pm
We're having canteloupe, vegetable barley soup, penne with low fat cottage cheese, baked potato with low fat sour cream...lots of water whole wheat rolls. I also take those kalei tzom pills right before the Fast.

sweetmom6

Post Sun, Aug 03 2014, 10:45 pm
BTW..here's the recipe for this yummy soup!
Vegetable Barley Soup
Serves: 6

Ingredients
16 ounce can peas & carrots (pureed)
1 onion (diced)
2 celery stalks (cut up)
3 carrots (cut up)
1 medium raw potato (diced)
1 tablespoon chicken soup mix
1/2 cup barley
salt & pepper to taste
6 cups water

Instructions
In a large pot, saute onion, celery, carrots in a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add potatoes; mix until soft. Add pureed peas & carrots. Add chicken soup mix with 6 cups of water. Mix well; add barley. Bring to a boil, then lower flame and cook for approximately 2 hours or until barley is soft. Serve hot with chow mein noodles or matzoh balls! (Most of the time I double the recipe and freeze the soup in Tupperware containers for later use.)

supermama2

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 2:24 am
YUM, that Veg. Barley soup sounds good! I plan on lentils and rice w/ caramelized onions (non Persian bride cookbook ) and a watermelon,banana,strawberry smoothie for dessert. The baked potatoes I've read about here sound very yummy too...maybe that will be lunch..or maybe the soup...ahh what a brachah it is to eat. Only 2 big fasts are requested of us a year, we can do that, right?

mrsg

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 7:48 am
A lot of you are preparing the seuda before Tisha B'Av with fishes and cheeses ; please, watch the sodium content as these foods tend to dehydrate you. Any fish that is in brine or smoked has a very high salt content and should be avoided, as well as many cheeses like mozzerella. Coffees, caffinated soda pop, and some teas can also pose problems for those fasting.
On the other end of the spectrum; if you want foods that will help keep you hydrated, eat lots of melon (any kind), grapes, lettuce and other watery fruits or vegitables.
I usually make a baked talapia (or flounder, or sole) in a mild milk-pepper sauce, lots of vegitables, salads (also good to avoid vinegar in your dressing) and buttered parsley noodles, and lots of melon all served about an hour or so before the egg and ashes. This seems to hold every one for quite a while.

Everyone should have an easy fast and merit to see the Bais Hamigdash rebuilt soon!

sandwitched

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 12:42 pm
I realize lots of you are doing quinoa, is that especially good for fasting?

just wondering...

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 12:50 pm
Vegetable Soup, Baked Tilapia, and mashed potatoes. Watermelon, canaloupe, and grapes on the side. I'm trying to get myself to drink powerade today b/c it helps, but I don't like it.

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 1:58 pm
I sense a theme...lots of people doing hearty soup, fish, potatoes, watermelon.

Pretty much what I am doing too.

chaya35

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 4:14 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think I remember learning that by the seuda hamafsefes you are only allowed to eat bread, egg and water.

I check with my husband he heard this at a shiur this week that it is permissable to eat watermelon or any other raw fruit by seuda hamfsekes. You are not allowd another cooked food example apple.

busydev

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 4:30 pm
I dunno but here where shkia is after 8 (and most of the major US cities are similar or later- we are close to the start of a time zone) we have 3 regular meals and then at some point after supper we have the seuda hamfsekes which is egg, bread and ash. and water.

Aribenj

Post Mon, Aug 04 2014, 7:55 pm
Lentil soup
stir-fried broccoli with garlic
baked potato with all the trimmings (cheese, sour cream, chives, etc)
Watermelon
sorbet
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals