Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Son joining the Israeli Army

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 3:58 pm
Would like to get some feedback from parents from the usa who have or had sons join the Israel Garin Machal, Israeli Army program,
I have a 23 year old who is planning on joining the Israeli army, He is Dati & I am a bit nervous about it yet am proud of him for wanting to do such an important mission .I think he could benefit from doing the army because at this point in his life he is still trying to find himself and wants to be able to stick to what he starts .
Please write to me if you have such an experience with your child and how it helped or changed your child in the positive aspect.

grace413

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 4:14 pm
I have a nephew who did this at age 18. It was a very positive experience for him. He went back to the States afterwards but after a few years returned to Israel and married a nice Israeli girl.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 4:27 pm
Very Happy Happy to hear positive things , I feel that me son will get along great in the Army he knows & talks Hebrew very well because both my husband and I are Israelis who live 30 years in the usa , He was in Israel many times , spend some time in Yeshivah there. So Israel is not new for him. I hope that it will be a positive experience for him too.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 7:16 pm
My brother signed up right after finishing college and ended up staying there because....wait for it...he met his future wife just a few months before his tour of duty was over.

gittelchana

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
Would like to get some feedback from parents from the usa who have or had sons join the Israel Garin Machal, Israeli Army program,
I have a 23 year old who is planning on joining the Israeli army, He is Dati & I am a bit nervous about it yet am proud of him for wanting to do such an important mission .I think he could benefit from doing the army because at this point in his life he is still trying to find himself and wants to be able to stick to what he starts .
Please write to me if you have such an experience with your child and how it helped or changed your child in the positive aspect.

My children aren't old enough for that.

I wish you lots of Nachas from your son in this very important line of work! You can be very proud of him!

Don't worry, army service of any kind puts people into a disciplined state of being. Many young men found themselves there.

Best of luck!

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 9:38 pm
I cannot overstate my admiration for young men who volunteer (!) for the IDF, and for their mothers who don't try to talk them out of it. Yiyshar Kochachem!

hila

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 12:46 am
And when you are ready to disclose who you are - let us Israeli imamothers know and one or more of us will adopt a "chayal boded" if he wants !

Kol Hakavod. maybe he will get you back home too ?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 9:56 pm
Thank you all for the encouragement I really needed it , I am in one side very proud of him for wanting to do it and on the other hand am afraid for him because it's a big chalange for him to actually stick to something in his life. He tells me that he needs encouragement from me and my husband on this bcause the moment he thought of going back to Israel to join the army different thoughts come through to him that maybe he is missing out on something else that he should be doing and that he wants to do it but on the other hand is not sure. It's a bit complicated with him he has never been an easy child he is lacking confidence in himself I geuss has anger towards us his parents that we don't push him towards what he wants to do and the problem is he never knows what he wants to do , he waisted 4 years in Israel some month in a yeshivah , some month working just to support himself. not sticking to any place he was for a long time . So it's very hard for us at one point to believe in him, but deep inside I do and hope that this experience in the army will help him find his way at last at the age of 23 .I pray that it will

chani8

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 5:03 am
If you only want positive about the army experience, then I can't help with that.

So let me suggest this. There are other things to do here. Many farms are looking for volunteers, offering free room and board. I can get you some online websites about it.

There are so many opportunities for someone wanting to do service here, without needing to go in the Army.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics