Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Presents from non religious family members

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:06 pm
My family is asking me what to give my aunt, as she is getting married.

We are the only frum ones, but I do not know what to suggest. I would say for them to send cash or a check because they will need money to adjust in the marriage. But I worry my family will take it the wrong way.

debsey

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:07 pm
Mitzvahmom wrote:
My family is asking me what to give my aunt, as she is getting married.

We are the only frum ones, but I do not know what to suggest. I would say for them to send cash or a check because they will need money to adjust in the marriage. But I worry my family will take it the wrong way.

What about gift cards to a useful store?
Is she registered somewhere? Maybe ask her to register at a specific store, just so this issue can be dealt with?

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:12 pm
debsey wrote:
What about gift cards to a useful store?
Is she registered somewhere? Maybe ask her to register at a specific store, just so this issue can be dealt with?

This! My Bed Bath & Beyond gift cards were among the most useful things I got.

itssimplyme

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:14 pm
How old is your aunt?

How about a scarf/book/jewellery/perfume/blanket/picture frame/tea pot/notebook set/a plant or flowers

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:37 pm
I don't understand why the family is turning to you for gift advice... unless it's that they want to set this aunt up with a gift appropriate to starting a jewish home and thus turn to the frum family member for suggestions? Maybe they are wondering about candle sticks, kiddush cup, challah board/ cover... something like that?

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:57 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I don't understand why the family is turning to you for gift advice... unless it's that they want to set this aunt up with a gift appropriate to starting a jewish home and thus turn to the frum family member for suggestions? Maybe they are wondering about candle sticks, kiddush cup, challah board/ cover... something like that?

That's what I am thinking. You could also suggest a kosher mezuzah in a pretty case, havdala set, menorah, Judaic artwork, or a gift certificate to a Judaica store near where they will be living.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 5:53 pm
Yes, I'm sure they want to get her a "Jewish" gift and that's why they're asking you. The large Judaica stores have gift registries--if your aunt doesn't want to register with them , suggest that your relatives check them out anyway. They should ask the seller if the object they're buying is appropriate for actual use--you wouldn't want them to buy a Chanukiyah that isn't kosher for the mitzvah, or a mezuzah case too small to hold a kosher klaf.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics