Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dumb question about braces rubber bands

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 6:13 am
So my son finally got rubber bands for his braces this week. His father took him to his appt, so I did not get the chance to speak to the orthodontist. Unfortunately, the office is small we orthodontist is only in once a week.

When I used rubber bands, I used 2, one on each side, going between the top and bottom. My son claims that he was told to use one and stretch it between all four points. Does that sound right to anybody else? Is that a valid way of using rubber bands?

Thanks

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 6:16 am
I had braces and I don't quite understand what you mean, as I never did anything like this. My orthodontist fixed the braces to my teeth, including the rubber bands (if I am interpreting what you mean correctly). I did not do any stretching myself, it was impossible to do that as it's completely fixed on to the teeth.

animeme

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 6:21 am
As far as I know it's two.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 6:53 am
Amother- I'm not talking about the tiny bands that hold the wire to the braces. I am talking about slightly larger ones that stretch between the top and bottom teeth on either side of the mouth to help align the jaw.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 7:06 am
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
Amother- I'm not talking about the tiny bands that hold the wire to the braces. I am talking about slightly larger ones that stretch between the top and bottom teeth on either side of the mouth to help align the jaw.

Oh I have never heard of that. Can you ring the orthodontist's secretary and leave a message or speak to him/her directly?

KeepCalm

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 8:40 am
I can't even picture how he can stretch one little band to all four points... and open his mouth.

My brother had to stretch one from the front of his mouth to the back (as opposed to from the top to bottom)

Best to ask.

Shoelover

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 9:00 am
Hey! I used to work at and ortho. Rubber bands aren't only used up and down. I've seen in a triangle and from one top tooth to another or bottom. I don't recall seeing over all four teeth. If you're concerned call the office and even if the doc isn't in an rda shld be able to look at his chart.

bnm

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 10:38 am
I had at one point from inside to out. each case is different.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 1:49 pm
Shoelover wrote:
Hey! I used to work at and ortho. Rubber bands aren't only used up and down. I've seen in a triangle and from one top tooth to another or bottom. I don't recall seeing over all four teeth. If you're concerned call the office and even if the doc isn't in an rda shld be able to look at his chart.

Thanks.
I called the office a few minutes ago and the secretary said she couldn't tell from his records. Her advice was to come in on Tuesday when the Orthodontist is in and have her show me. I asked why I couldn't just leave a message and get a call back and the secretary said "I guess you can call back on Tuesday" Thanks for the help, Ms. Secretary!

Which is why I turned to the internet for answers before calling the office. If there were other orthodontists in my area that took the insurance, Id switch.

grrrr
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics