Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
What do you do as Entrée/Hors d'œuvre
Previous  1  2

shaini

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 4:38 am
November wrote:
Can you post the recipe for your tuna patties? Do you serve them with any sauce?

My recipe is simple, I don't have exact measurements and it also depends on how many you want to make.

Cook up some diced potatoes either boil them or microwave them, so they're the consistency that can be mashed. When cooked, mash the potatoes but don't add any flavouring to them.

I use a couple of tins of tuna in brine. Drain the brine but keep it aside (you may need to use it later).

Chop some onions/spring onions or similar. In a large bowl, flake the tuna, you don't want any lumps, add the onions and some of the mashed potatoes, add some pepper and salt to taste. It depends on how you like them, how much potato you need to add. The potato is the filler and it's similar to adding flour or matza meal to foods like kugels. Add one or more eggs to bind everything together. If the mixture seems dry, add some of the tuna brine.

Shape into balls, say about half the size of a large gefilta fish ball. Coat with flour, dip in egg and then into breadcrumbs or coarse matza meal. Fry until golden brown.

I don't serve them with sauce but with salads, pickled beetroot, pickled cucumbers etc.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 5:49 am
thanks wrote:
My daughter was assigned in 4th grade to bring in a recipe for an appetizer (forshpeiz). She asked the teacher what that is. The teacher said "it's what you eat before the meal". When she came home she told me, "Mommy, do you know you need to eat meatballs or a knish before the meal?"

We had a good laugh. I skip the entree. In fact, sometimes, I make a hearty meat soup for a night meal, and that's it. With so many yomtov meals, no one wants or needs anything else. I used to put out more, but it all came back to kitchen.

Ladies, keep your ears open this yomtov. You will hear so many people kvetching, "I ate too much", "oish another meal", "we have to eat again",etc. Don't do it. Keep your sanity and enjoy your yomtov.

I agree. I was looking at someones menu for rh and she was planning to serve for all the night meals, fish, salads, soup, and main course. (and dessert)

I would totally do main course only but it feels odd for a formal meal. But there are plenty of light options that won't fill people up too much...plated salad, fruit, soup.

MMCH

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:12 pm
growing up we always had an appetizer, either a fish course, or a small little thing, or a salad course with lots of choices for a yom tov meal.

when I got engaged my dh was blown away by this he thought it was so nice. and he went back to tell my mil how amazing it is.
now my poor mother in law feels she MUST have an appetizer at each meal (6 years later) on yomtov, bc thats what my family does.

and it stresses her out! I keep telling her we dont need it. she keeps calling me for different ideas.
drives me crazy.

Zehava

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:21 pm
Magazine recipes usually look too hard for me but I found one in whisk for pomegranate glazed salmon. It's really easy n looks delicious so why not?

BeHappy!

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 2:32 pm
Would you please be able to post the recipe of the pomegranate glazed salmon? Sounds good and perfect for Rosh Hashana!

studying_torah

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 5:29 pm
mm yes the pomegranite salmon sounds really nice- please post

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:25 pm
Potato knishes with mushroom sauce
Pastrami egg rolls
Stuffed manicotti
Sweet n Sour salmon (not for RH)

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:33 pm
Raisin wrote:
this is a great idea for the second night rosh hashana, when you need to have new fruit.

That's what we do :-) This year we had horned melon, green and yellow kiwi, something that looked like an eye ball, pomegranate seeds and star fruit. It looked really pretty :-)

debsey

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:38 pm
Deli salad
potato knish/mushroom sauce
meatballs over rice
pepper steak over rice
Pulled brisket over mashed potatoes

A friend and I were discussing making ground meat pinwheels. If it works out, I'll post the recipe. Right now, the plan is to brown ground meat in taco spice. Spread on top of a sheet of puff pastry, roll up jelly roll style, slice, THEN bake. Serve with onion sauce (it's like mushroom sauce without the mushrooms! Really savory tasting)

I'll let you all know how it comes out.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:41 pm
Salmon Persillade
Zucchini Bruschetta
Portobello stuffed potatoes
Salmon pastry boxes
Sushi salad

justmarried

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:45 pm
Rainbows613 wrote:
There is no section in the recipe corner for this! Everyone must have a few ideas...

Here is my collection:
-Soup
-Mushroom vol au vents
-Pastry cones with meat/liver inside
-Smoked salmon with egg inside - like a parcel
-Mini meat balls over rice (never actually done this)
-Lasagna roll ups with meat inside
-Sushi
-Punch

Please share yours!

I would love to have the recipe of the Mushroom vol au vents!

debsey

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Salmon Persillade
Zucchini Bruschetta
Portobello stuffed potatoes
Salmon pastry boxes
Sushi salad

1) Ra_mom - any time you wanna volunteer to come over here and cook, let me know!
2) What's your recipe for the salmon pastry boxes? That sounds awesome......Probably above my skill level, but still, awesome......

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:04 pm
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....83046

debsey wrote:
1) Ra_mom - any time you wanna volunteer to come over here and cook, let me know!
2) What's your recipe for the salmon pastry boxes? That sounds awesome......Probably above my skill level, but still, awesome......

Lol. It's actually really simple.
Make dill dijon sauce. Let sit to allow flavors to deepen. Coat salmon in sauce. Wrap in pastry dough. Egg and bake. Scallion ribbons optional.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
http://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183046

Lol. It's actually really simple.
Make dill dijon sauce. Let sit to allow flavors to deepen. Coat salmon in sauce. Wrap in pastry dough. Egg and bake. Scallion ribbons optional.

That sounds like a yummy version. For RH I marinated squares of salmon in honey mustard sauce. Sauteed leeks, and put a bit of leek along with one piece of salmon on each small pastry square. Folded up into a square, turned it seam side down, brushed with extra honey mustard sauce and sprinkled sesame seeds. Baked until lightly browned.

I plated some baby spinach leaves, sprinkled pomegranate seeds, and placed two pastry squares in the center, one slightly overlapping the other. Then I drizzled everything with honey mustard dressing.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:16 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
That sounds like a yummy version. For RH I marinated squares of salmon in honey mustard sauce. Sauteed leeks, and put a bit of leek along with one piece of salmon on each small pastry square. Folded up into a square, turned it seam side down, brushed with extra honey mustard sauce and sprinkled sesame seeds. Baked until lightly browned.

I plated some baby spinach leaves, sprinkled pomegranate seeds, and placed two pastry squares in the center, one slightly overlapping the other. Then I drizzled everything with honey mustard dressing.

Yum, I would love to try that! And the visual of the leaves and pomegranate seeds...

INSPIREME

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:34 pm
Cabbage Salad
Chicken Wontons
Pastrami egg rolls
Chicken spring rolls
Pastrami knishes

I love the idea of the soup with the baked pastry dough on top Smile

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Yum, I would love to try that! And the visual of the leaves and pomegranate seeds...

I was the only woman at that meal, and I think the aesthetics were wasted Confused Next time I'm inviting you Tongue Out

Rainbows613

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 6:24 am
To make the actual vol - au - vents I looked up a post here on imamother - which I don't know how to put in here!!! Type in puff pastry into the search drive its on page2 - I copied the website address

http://thedaringkitchen.com/re.....-vent

If you want the mushroom sauce let me know..

Sweety19

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 11:18 am
I went to someone on Rosh Hashana. They served some sort of avocado salad with smoked salmon for the first course. It was delicious. Does anyone have a recipe for this salad. I think it had hard boiled eggs and red onion in it.
Thanks!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus