Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
What does this mean?
1  2  3  Next

monkey

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 10:41 pm
Just wondering...I read breaking news "Republicans won control of the US senate..."

Curious-in laymen terms..what does this mean?

why are people making a big deal out of it?

Is this better for us now? Worse? Doesn't make a difference?

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 11:09 pm
It's awesome
It means basicaly
Hopefully, Obama will be finally reigned in

Miri7

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 11:30 pm
Whether this is good news depends upon one's perspective. I expect that a great variety of perspectives are present here, despite what we all have in common.

IMO This is bad news for women who want equal pay and protection from gender- based harassment, or want to see meaningful gun control passed. This is bad news for people who depend on federally-funded government assistance programs, such as SNAP. My main concern is that we will get no real climate control/pollution legislation passed because the oil industry has continued heavily to the Republican campaigns this year. I think this is a win for big business and very right wing christians.

I think Obama's been a very ineffectual president, even though I am generally quite liberal and supported his election. I don't think that the new republican control of both houses will "rein him in" much more than he has been before.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:39 am
clairefenton wrote:
Whether this is good news depends upon one's perspective. I expect that a great variety of perspectives are present here, despite what we all have in common.

IMO This is bad news for women who want equal pay and protection from gender- based harassment, or want to see meaningful gun control passed. This is bad news for people who depend on federally-funded government assistance programs, such as SNAP. My main concern is that we will get no real climate control/pollution legislation passed because the oil industry has continued heavily to the Republican campaigns this year. I think this is a win for big business and very right wing christians.

I think Obama's been a very ineffectual president, even though I am generally quite liberal and supported his election. I don't think that the new republican control of both houses will "rein him in" much more than he has been before.

How many of these new Republicans are Tea Partiers?

morah

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:48 am
It actually doesn't mean much practically. The Republicans won control in that they have a majority, but they don't have a strong enough majority to actually do anything with it. You need 60 seats to really be in control, they only got 52. The Democrats can still filibuster and block any meaningful action.

etky

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:18 am
In any case Obama's horizons are inevitably more limited now, regardless of the Republican victory, as he enters the final years of his last term in office.
Not quite a lame duck yet but that is the general direction.
Analysts are predicting that his focus will now be more on foreign policy rather than domestic issues.
That makes me nervous.

zohar

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:36 am
clairefenton wrote:

Your right that it depends on perspective, but I take offense at some of your premises. Yes it is definitely "bad" for those who are looking for more climate controll regulations and those who want to depend on SNAP and those who want to limit guns for the law abiding population. But it's great for ppl like me, who while I am on food stamps now, it looks that in the near future I will no longer qualify B"H. That will mean that I will probably loose my Medicaid too, so if they repeal obamacare, that will be great as I will be able to buy better and cheaper insurance that will reflect my family's needs.
But how is it bad for woman who want equal pay and don't want to be harassed? What legislation is being proposed that would cause that? It's pure liberal propaganda. Those evil mysoginosy republicans. Rolling Eyes
Taxes will hopefully be cut for everyone and hopefully wasteful spending too. It is great for businesses both big and small if they cut the corporate tax rate and limit harmful regulation which will make the US competitive again and we will have less businesses leaving and job growth. I don't think that they can make much of a difference when it comes to foreign affairs.

anon for this

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 1:01 pm
One issue I'm concerned about is net neutrality. I don't want big businesses to be able to block access to other sites or viewpoints. And if you have a business or income-generating presence on the internet, you should be particularly concerned about this.

A Republican-controlled Senate is more likely to fold to lobbyists trying to end net neutrality. Although a leading proponent of net neutrality, Senator Al Franken from Minnesota, did win reelection last night, which is encouraging.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:47 pm
anon for this wrote:
One issue I'm concerned about is net neutrality. I don't want big businesses to be able to block access to other sites or viewpoints. And if you have a business or income-generating presence on the internet, you should be particularly concerned about this.

A Republican-controlled Senate is more likely to fold to lobbyists trying to end net neutrality. Although a leading proponent of net neutrality, Senator Al Franken from Minnesota, did win reelection last night, which is encouraging.

Did you mean opponent or proponent? I don't get the "Although".

anon for this

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 9:44 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Did you mean opponent or proponent? I don't get the "Although".

Al Franken is a big proponent of continuing net neutrality, it's one of his signature issues. The "although" was to say that even though Republicans (many of who would like to end net neutrality) now control the Senate, Al Franken won reelection and will continue to work on this important issue.

Barbara

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 10:01 am
Obama reigned in? Obama has been an ineffectual president, with the Republicans blocking virtually all meaningful legislation for years.

It means that the minimum wage will not be raised. That there will be an effort to eliminate all federal support for student loans. That there will be a renewed push for "student initiated" prayer in schools. (That's right, folks with special ed kids in public schools; but don't worry, your kids can sit silently while everyone else thanks Jésus, who is their personal Lord and Savior). Continuing Common Core. No gun control and, in fact, a push for an end to gun licensing. End Obamacare (including, of course, allowing children to be on parents' insurance into their 20s, and and end to refusal of care for pre-existing conditions) with an eventual push to end Medicaid.

It means the appointment of Conservative judges who will continue the Republican agenda for decades.

It means stricter immigration policy. And if you think that's a good thing with the increasing anti-semitism in Europe, I suggest you think again.

Maya

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 10:08 am
I'm disappointed. I thought the majority of this country was over all that ultra-conservative cr*p, especially in areas such as gun control and education. Seems I was wrong.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 10:27 am
etky wrote:
In any case Obama's horizons are inevitably more limited now, regardless of the Republican victory, as he enters the final years of his last term in office.
Not quite a lame duck yet but that is the general direction.
Analysts are predicting that his focus will now be more on foreign policy rather than domestic issues.
That makes me nervous

Me too. Obama has done more to alienate US allies and embolden US enemies than any president in recent history.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 10:37 am
Barbara wrote:
Obama reigned in? Obama has been an ineffectual president, with the Republicans blocking virtually all meaningful legislation for years.

It means that the minimum wage will not be raised. That there will be an effort to eliminate all federal support for student loans. That there will be a renewed push for "student initiated" prayer in schools. (That's right, folks with special ed kids in public schools; but don't worry, your kids can sit silently while everyone else thanks Jésus, who is their personal Lord and Savior). Continuing Common Core. No gun control and, in fact, a push for an end to gun licensing. End Obamacare (including, of course, allowing children to be on parents' insurance into their 20s, and and end to refusal of care for pre-existing conditions) with an eventual push to end Medicaid.

It means the appointment of Conservative judges who will continue the Republican agenda for decades.

It means stricter immigration policy. And if you think that's a good thing with the increasing anti-semitism in Europe, I suggest you think again.

not all republicans are that hardcore. these days the trend is "liberal republicans" and "conservative democrats"

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 10:39 am
causemommysaid wrote:
not all republicans are that hardcore. these days the trend is "liberal republicans" and "conservative democrats"

Conservative Democrats, or just trying to distance from Obama? And re the liberal Republicans, I guess that's what they're calling non Tea Party types Tongue Out

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 10:46 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Conservative Democrats, or just trying to distance from Obama? And re the liberal Republicans, I guess that's what they're calling non Tea Party types Tongue Out

in general, being too far left or too far right will backfire. I think lots of Americans are coming to this realization including the politicians.

Barbara

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 10:48 am
causemommysaid wrote:

That was pretty much all taken from the Republican Platform. So its what the Republican Party says it stands for.

anon for this

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 11:01 am
causemommysaid wrote:

Which Republicans do you consider liberal, and which Democrats do you consider conservative?

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 11:11 am
Barbara wrote:
That was pretty much all taken from the Republican Platform. So its what the Republican Party says it stands for.

I am republican and most of my friends and family are republican. none of us believe in most of the stuff mentioned but we also don't like what the democrat party stands for.

many Americans pick a side but when it comes down to the actual issues, they are pretty neutral.

If I didn't pick the side I had more affinity to, I wouldn't get to vote in the primaries or have any say within my own party.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 11:22 am
anon for this wrote:
Which Republicans do you consider liberal, and which Democrats do you consider conservative?

in congress? I don't know. I don't keep up with politics enough to have names

I mean on a general level, I've read articles and shabbos table discussions with friends and family (and even on imamother) have led me to believe that most people today are not hardcore in either direction.

we are a very gray generation. nothing is black and white anymore.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics