Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
NeuroLinks or Fast forward?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

shalombayis

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 12:17 pm
Hi
I'm seriously considering fast forward for my son. He is 6 years old and we think he has add. He is very dreamy and not focused on the details around him. Seeker- I'm going to try to pm you if I can figure out how to do that.Smile

debsey

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 12:24 pm
Neurolinks has no empirical validation
Despite the study posted, FastForWord does have empirical validation for language based learning disabilities and auditory processing disorder. It does not have empirical validation for ADHD, despite some misleading ads in the frum press.
There is also a program called Cogmed that targets working memory. Has empirical validation ONLY for that.
Hatzlacha.

Barbara

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 12:26 pm
If your child has auditory processing deficits, I recommend that you sign up for the AuditoryProcessing@yahoogroups.com mailing list. Its both helpful and informative.

momesq

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:14 pm
Bumping this topic. Anyone use fast forward for slow readers. DD has difficulty decoding, tires easily and gives up. Spelling is terrible too. We've used tutors, vision therapy etc and there's been improvement but not great. B'h reading comprehension and auditory processing is ok though. Anyone use fast forward for specifically this? And when you say expensive how much are we talking?

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 11:37 pm
You can PM me. I am a Fast ForWord provider but I do NOT try to "sell it" to anyone it might not be appropriate for. We can talk about whether or not it would suit your child's needs. It sounds like it might be but I'd like to know more. I can also tell you about pricing, I'm familiar with some of the main companies that offer it, and personally I try to offer some flexible options to make it more workable.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 8:47 pm
Quote:
"You can PM me. I am a Fast ForWord provider but I do NOT try to "sell it" to anyone it might not be appropriate for. "

Seeker - you say that your are a Fast Forward provider, but you are not listed as a provider on their site. What does that mean? Do you not need certain credentialing to be a provider? Please explain that. Thank you.

Please answer here as I would prefer to remain anon. Also, approximately, how much does this run (typically)? I realize it can be different for everyone. Thank you.

Also, if anyone has been serviced by seeker, how was that experience? Appreciate the information.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 10:28 pm
To become a provider you need to be credentialed in some related field, such as special education or speech therapy, and then take the training class and test given by the company. It is actually not all that hard to become a provider in the first place, but then it takes some experience to learn the ins and outs of the program. I forget exactly what the threshold is but you probably have to have had a certain minimum number of clients using FFW to be listed on their search directory. I'm a more small-game provider because it's not the primary thing I do and I only recommend it when I think a child is very likely to benefit, as opposed to people who do it as their main business - just providing FFW. (Either that or I was supposed to do something to get on the list and didn't? I should probably contact them and check it out. Thanks for letting me know)

The cost varies per provider; we have to pay the company a certain amount for the license to use the program (for each person) and then people mark it up differently. Personally, I offer several options because I found that cost was one of the big issues people had preventing them from using the program with a different provider. So now I offer a choice between a flat rate for a year or a monthly rate for as long as you use it (good for people whose needs aren't so severe and might finish more quickly, or who want to try before committing) and a few tiers of service. So while I've seen various rates from others, usually around $2000 and up, I have options starting closer to $1000 and going up depending how long you want to do it for and how much help you want during that time. My hope is that this will help people who really need it to access it more easily.

Curious to hear if any of my clients are on here and answering Smile But please note that I take negative feedback or suggestions seriously and would LIKE to know if there were any problems with your experience so I can make it better for you and for others in the future. Of course it's a little gentler to hear directly, but anything you post here I can assure you won't stay the same! Part of being a small-scale provider is that I can have the flexibility to work with each person's needs and feedback rather than a factory approach.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 6:00 pm
Anybody have success with neurolinks?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 6:51 pm
seeker wrote:
To become a provider you need to be credentialed in some related field, such as special education or speech therapy, and then take the training class and test given by the company. It is actually not all that hard to become a provider in the first place, but then it takes some experience to learn the ins and outs of the program. I forget exactly what the threshold is but you probably have to have had a certain minimum number of clients using FFW to be listed on their search directory. I'm a more small-game provider because it's not the primary thing I do and I only recommend it when I think a child is very likely to benefit, as opposed to people who do it as their main business - just providing FFW. (Either that or I was supposed to do something to get on the list and didn't? I should probably contact them and check it out. Thanks for letting me know)

The cost varies per provider; we have to pay the company a certain amount for the license to use the program (for each person) and then people mark it up differently. Personally, I offer several options because I found that cost was one of the big issues people had preventing them from using the program with a different provider. So now I offer a choice between a flat rate for a year or a monthly rate for as long as you use it (good for people whose needs aren't so severe and might finish more quickly, or who want to try before committing) and a few tiers of service. So while I've seen various rates from others, usually around $2000 and up, I have options starting closer to $1000 and going up depending how long you want to do it for and how much help you want during that time. My hope is that this will help people who really need it to access it more easily.

Curious to hear if any of my clients are on here and answering Smile But please note that I take negative feedback or suggestions seriously and would LIKE to know if there were any problems with your experience so I can make it better for you and for others in the future. Of course it's a little gentler to hear directly, but anything you post here I can assure you won't stay the same! Part of being a small-scale provider is that I can have the flexibility to work with each person's needs and feedback rather than a factory approach.

I'm a bit curious about your "flat rate for a year." AIUI, the Fast ForWord protocol is that it should take at most 16 weeks, even if the student doesn't reach 100% during that time. What do you do the other 8 months?

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 11:29 pm
To the original poster in 2014 how did it end up? What did u end up doing? My DD has the same exact issues. We did VT, OT & PT bUt still having a hard x with reading. How did you do be th sat year?

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 12:20 am
amother wrote:
I'm a bit curious about your "flat rate for a year." AIUI, the Fast ForWord protocol is that it should take at most 16 weeks, even if the student doesn't reach 100% during that time. What do you do the other 8 months?

Not sure where you got that information from, but it isn't accurate.
Fast ForWord doesn't have one set protocol; it depends what level you're starting at and how far you want to go (e.g. if you have an older student who wants to get from barely reading all the way up to grade level, that will take a lot more doing)

There are also variations depending on things like scheduling - if you are going to do more time per day and more days per week you can potentially progress faster, and the opposite is true as well. Though some people will have to take it more slowly in any case just because it might be as much as their brain can handle.

And of course you have people whose work gets interrupted for whatever reason, so it not only takes longer but they may be set back in middle and need to do more work to get back to where they were before moving on.

It is possible for some people to reach their goals with FFW in a few months. In that case, I agree with you that signing up for a year is overkill. That's why my practice is set up with monthly and half-year options in addition to a year, to offer an alternative to other businesses I have compared with that automatically sign you up for a year (at cost of over $2000 last time I checked)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 4:24 am
seeker wrote:
Not sure where you got that information from, but it isn't accurate.
Fast ForWord doesn't have one set protocol; it depends what level you're starting at and how far you want to go (e.g. if you have an older student who wants to get from barely reading all the way up to grade level, that will take a lot more doing)

There are also variations depending on things like scheduling - if you are going to do more time per day and more days per week you can potentially progress faster, and the opposite is true as well. Though some people will have to take it more slowly in any case just because it might be as much as their brain can handle.

And of course you have people whose work gets interrupted for whatever reason, so it not only takes longer but they may be set back in middle and need to do more work to get back to where they were before moving on.

It is possible for some people to reach their goals with FFW in a few months. In that case, I agree with you that signing up for a year is overkill. That's why my practice is set up with monthly and half-year options in addition to a year, to offer an alternative to other businesses I have compared with that automatically sign you up for a year (at cost of over $2000 last time I checked)

It was in the product literature when we used the program. It's also for example here. http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/rep.....x.asp
And we discussed that with our provider.

That's why I was wondering.

kelly

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 5:25 am
I have used the Neurolinks program for my daughter with add and can not write in enough words how happy we were. We started the program with a child who was barely able to function with daily life and activities and finished the program with a changed mainstream child!!!the drastic change was so obvious throughout the months of being on the program..I cannot thank neurolinks enough. I will forever be indebted to them. I've referred many ppl to them already and all came back with outstanding results. The program entails homework and patience but it is all worth it. Every penny was worth 5!!!They today have an office in Israel too..If u wish to know more details about it u can pm me..hatzlucha!

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 5:40 am
deleted to include a previous post.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 5:42 am
kelly wrote:
I have used the Neurolinks program for my daughter with add and can not write in enough words how happy we were. We started the program with a child who was barely able to function with daily life and activities and finished the program with a changed mainstream child!!!the drastic change was so obvious throughout the months of being on the program..I cannot thank neurolinks enough. I will forever be indebted to them. I've referred many ppl to them already and all came back with outstanding results. The program entails homework and patience but it is all worth it. Every penny was worth 5!!!They today have an office in Israel too..If u wish to know more details about it u can pm me..hatzlucha!

So happy to see this post!! My daughter just started Neurolinks last week for her issues which include: lack focus/concentration, poor time-management, clumsiness, poor social skills, etc.

Hoping to see a big improvement!! Smile

Also, I just want to mention that Neuorlinks has a 100% money back guarantee if you're not satisfied with the results. The lady who evaluated my child said that they offer this because they are so confident in the program and it really works. She said she hasn't had to give back anyone's money so far (she's been doing this for 8 years). (There might have been one person who didn't work the program (ie do the homework) who asked for his money back, but that's it.)

kelly

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 5:53 am
yup u can't expect good results if u dont do the work. All these magic programs like fast forward, which promise results in a day by playing games on the computer, are baloney.

mommydearest

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 9:47 am
I know 2 ppl personally who did neurolinks. One had nice results - for a while. Child was falling back again and is doing something now which is very worthwhile (lots of effort, but getting slow and steady results). Another one just finished in May after having spent a fortune on nueorlinks and did not get very far. Hatzlacha!

kelly

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 10:01 am
must've been someone who didn't do their homework fully. its a program that needs a commitment and if u don't follow it fully you cant see full results. Trust me, I've tried all programs already..Neurolinks was the only one that worked.

Tirza

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 10:06 am
Kelly-
I disagree with what you said about FastForward.
It's not just "playing games". It's hard work. The games are just a way to make the activities child-friendly, and the activities are actually very challenging for kids with auditory processing disorder. My child had to do many of them again and again until she was able to improve her scores. It does not "promise results in a day". It takes at least 6-8 weeks of consistent, almost daily work. The activities specifically target exactly those sounds that are difficult for APD kids to distinguish and process. It's research-based and it's not baloney.

kelly

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 10:10 am
I'm happy u had success with them . I guess not all programs work for everyone.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children