Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Clothes, Clothes and More Clothes

luppamom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 2:58 pm
I'm not sure what to do. I hardly ever went shopping (other than maternity) b/c I have so many clothes and I live in Israel, not like America w/ constant sales. But, I am SICK of my clothes. A lot of them just sit in the closet. I just don't know if I should get rid of anything b/c what if I need them? Nice clothes are hard to find and at this point, I don't see myself investing $ for more. A lot of my clothes don't fit me, but they're good for changing sizes (early preg. b4 maternity, after birth). Styles not an issue b/c the ppl around me don't care.

The problem is that I don't really have space for all my clothes unless I put them in storage, but that also takes up space.

Should I get rid of some of my clothes or is it good to keep them around just in case?

Thoughts, please!

Last edited by luppamom on Sat, Mar 28 2015, 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dev80

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 3:34 pm
What I've done is give away things that my husband doesn't love, things I'm not really going to wear (seminary argyle sweater vests), and items that are just not going to fit me again (skirts that just won't zip from my kallah days Smile), etc.

I've been able to clear away significant amounts of clothes that way.

But things you may like to keep around then I'd keep around and figure out storage for since you'll be sad if you want them down the line and don't have them. In America I think the attitude would be more 'if you haven't worn it in a year give it away' but if you are talking about good quality items that are not easily replaceable it makes sense to want to hold onto them!

youngishbear

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 3:57 pm
My rule is if I haven't worn it the last time I was this size I won't wear it the next time I fit into it Wink
It could take significantly longer than a year to fit into a specific size again...

Volunteer

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 5:29 pm
My rule is that if I haven't worn it in one season (or one year if it is something I only wear during one season), I either donate it if it's still good, or throw it away. There are a few items I have kept as "schmutzy clothes" which I wear while I do dirty jobs.

Heyaaa

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 6:06 pm
One of my favorite things to do is go through my closet and give away what I don't love. It's so cleansing and you know other people will appreciate. I used to keep clothes because of the off chance that I may want to wear it one day but now I feel like if I'm going to wear it 3 times in a decade, I should give it away to someone who might wear it ten times in a year (or more).

-I don't give away wedding style dresses, because those are only meant to be worn so few times.

luppamom

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 4:51 pm
Heyaaa wrote:
One of my favorite things to do is go through my closet and give away what I don't love. It's so cleansing and you know other people will appreciate. I used to keep clothes because of the off chance that I may want to wear it one day but now I feel like if I'm going to wear it 3 times in a decade, I should give it away to someone who might wear it ten times in a year (or more).

-I don't give away wedding style dresses, because those are only meant to be worn so few times.

I hear you. I used to do this a lot mainly when I was in high school. It made me so happy to see other people wearing my clothes and enjoying them! But, then I realized that I started to miss the clothes around 5 yrs. later! That's why I don't know what to do. I need a few yrs. vacation from my clothing, but if I see them yr. after yr., I get sick of them... I would lend someone my stuff "temporarily" but I would probably feel to embarrassed to ask for them back. In the meantime, I have tons of clothes that I don't like looking at or wearing. I kind of found it easier when I was in maternity (aside for at the very end when nothing fit) b/c I didn't have so many choices and all of the choices I liked b/c I had just picked them out and before finalizing most purchases, asked DH if he liked them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics