Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Can someone who understands Yiddish grammar help me?
Previous  1  2  3

Earnest

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 10:25 pm
Classically, to show endearment/respect you add the prefix 'the'/ der/di and also suffixes, nyu. like, di mamanyu, der tatenyu, or sweetheart with 'zissa.mammenyu'..In california, that translated as adding 'baby' as a suffix, ex. Harry-baby. The usually Americanized ending 'y' reads as a casual and tender touch...bubby works great for me. Wink

sequoia

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 10:33 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
In 'der heim', in Poland and Russia, children generally were not called with an 'ee' ending, as in Suri and Shloimy, but with a 'le' as in Surele, Shloimele, Dovid’l. After the War, it was the Hungarians, who had the majority of survival rate among the refugees, who brought this style along with them. In Hungary it was prevalent that children were called with an "ee" ending nickname.

Yeah, my grandpa says he remembers being called Abremele as a child.

LEMON

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 12:38 am
saying mama or tatte is a way of showing respect. addressing them in third party.

freidasima

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 3:58 am
BSD I love the story about the chremzech versus the Bis-LI! I can't wait to share it with my mother this afternoon when I go over there, she as a native yiddish speaker who also knows some Ivrit will appreciate it!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 6:26 am
I don't know ANYONE who uses the -ee in Yiddish, be it frum, not frum, Polish, Yekke, young, old, Litvish, chassidish.

-ee as endearment is a concept, but mostly in other eidot than the Yiddish speaking ones (yes, I am writing an article on this Smile ). It is a "new thing" in Yiddish with some very precise exceptions that I bet are hardly represented in the Anglo world.

Besi, indeed Hungarian use -ee.

penguin

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 9:15 pm
I know this is old, but you find the most interesting things under "Similar Topics"

So, what does Tattenu mean?
I always thought it means "Our Tatte", but that would be applying Hebrew grammar to Yiddish I.e. Avinu means our Father.

Pandabeer

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 9:21 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
There's a sarcastic saying that reflects the attitudes of the generations. Years ago yiddish speaking people would call food with a לך ending: kreplech, chremslech, nissalech, kneidelech. The idea was that people were more farginerish towards others, as in לך (to you). Nowadays, things changed. The foods are called: Bisli, Chipli, Kremli, ending with לי, possessive - ich un mich un zich... שלי שלי ושלך שלי - everything for me.

I heard it I think from Batya Barg - the way she said it was so tzim punkt (to the point)

miyodea

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 10:03 pm
penguin wrote:
I know this is old, but you find the most interesting things under "Similar Topics"

So, what does Tattenu mean?
I always thought it means "Our Tatte", but that would be applying Hebrew grammar to Yiddish I.e. Avinu means our Father.

Adding "nyu" to the end of a word makes it a term of endearment, so "Tatenyu" would mean something along the lines of "Daddy dear".
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics