Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Best double stroller for snow

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 12:55 pm
I need the help of the stroller mavens!

Expecting number 2, DC1 is 2 but very tall and heavy (80%ile for height and weight) so the rumbleseat on our Uppababy won't last long until weight limit is reached.

Biggest factor is ease of push in icy/snowy weather as it will mostly be used on Shabbos (Canadian winters...)

Also important would be good basket, bassinet option/newborn ready.

Bonus if it looks nice and comes with accessories.

Thanks in advance!

nyer1

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 1:14 pm
something definitely with air tires. I'm looking into the city mini GT double as I'm expecting #2 in june iyh. we live in ny and spend a lot of time in and out of the car but also do a lot of walking so I want something thats easy up and down curbs. my son is very tall and will be 3 Y/o when the baby comes. we are really happy with the single city mini gt so I think the features on the double will be very similar. will have to test drive it though. I've heard that for a newborn u can attach the infant car seat or bassinet to one side.

blueberries

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 1:20 pm
Here we go.

lizard8

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 1:26 pm
I have the GT double and it pushes well in the snow. I'm so happy that I was convinced to get the GT over the regular city mini!

spring13

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 2:08 pm
Bob, Bumbleride, Mountain Buggy, City Elite all have great all-terrain doubles. Baby Trend is good if you need something cheaper. They're clunky but can handle a northern winter. Don't get anything with smaller wheels than a City Mini GT.

Emotional

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 2:16 pm
I bought this 4 years ago during the blizzards in Brooklyn and I still use it in Lakewood. It is hands down THE BEST stroller for snow. Zips through deep snow drifts like no problem.
http://www.strollersdirect.com.....llow.
The downside is that it's big and bulky and not very travel friendly.
No bassinet but I was able to attach a car seat.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 3:17 pm
Three of my sister-in-laws have the Schwinn Turismo Swivel Wheel Double Jogger. (no bassinet or newborn option. You may be able to snap in a carseat easily)

Typically the strollers with the big jogger tires can be pushed through anything. They are just bulky to store or take into the car.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 9:55 pm
Hi All! OP here.
Thanks for the replies.

Our first one we were looking into was the city mini GT, so I'm not surprised to see so many suggesting it...

I'm worried that it doesn't manouver so well. We took a city mini regular for a spin and a single GT. They were fine but I wasn't blown away. I'm not convinced about the snow handling and the basket is basically useless. However, from all the others I've researched it seems to have the highest weight and height capacity (most comfortable for our big toddler) but isn't technically supposed to be used from infancy (not 180 recline). I do really like that it has the great fold and we would be able to manage with just the one stroller (theoretically if it really is good for the snow, since its easy for the car).

The mountain buggy looks great, however the seats seem super narrow (no specs on their site so not sure what they are precisely) and the max weight is 79lb combined...nothing like the city mini at 100lbs but the basket is way better!

I really like the looks of the bumbleride. It seems to have everything I want, my only concern again is the size of the seats and head clearance.

Anything else I should consider? With all that said, does anyone have anything else to add or to help me with my decision?

proudma

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 9:57 pm
Love blueberries suggestion!

Seriously - uppababy is the best! Huge wheels, HUGE basket - a lifesaver in the snow.

Good luck with your choice

baltimoremom

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:07 pm
I have the bumble ride and love it. If you don't need to fold it often it's great. My older son is 3 and 1/2 and the height is fine and he has been is the 75%-90% for height. He currently weighs about 35-4o lbs. I have used it in the snow and it maneuvered great. There is a bassinet option but it's not necessary as it comes with rear head rest and the foot rest lifts up and the seat reclines flat. The basket is amazing and can hold everything

baltimoremom

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:10 pm
I use the skip hop parent organizer with the bumble ride as you cannot fit through doorways with the cup holder it comes with. The car seat adapter and rain cover as affordable as opposed to the baby jigger prices. I do wish there was a child option of a tray though.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:18 pm
Op here

Proudma: I have the vista, but dc1 is 31 lb and limit on the rumble seat (ours and the new 2015) is 35lb, which may not last long. I love love love the stroller and I am having a hard time finding a double that measures up.

Baltimoremom: what is the fold on the bumble ride like? How tall is your older dc? Is it cumbersome when folded?

baltimoremom

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:28 pm
The seats fold flat but it's a bulky fold because of the big tires. It takes a a few times to get used to folding it but now I can fold it and get it into my car in 2 minutes. It fits in my small trunk without an issue. I rarely fold mine, if you need to travel a lot I would prob not suggest getting it unless you have a van. The tires do come off which would make the fold compact. I only fold mine for occasional Sunday trips and otherwise I keep it unfolded an use it on shabbos and for walking. I was debating btwn the citi mini gt and the bumble ride. The bumble ride seats are much better and the stroller has better wheels and a better basket.
I have no idea how tall my son is but I do now he's on the tall side but he had plenty of space and he took plenty of naps in the stroller without a space issue

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:35 pm
I also have and love a double bumbleride. If you need to put it in and out of the trunk often it will be a pain, but that goes for all the strollers in that category. My five year old who is 48" tall still rides in it, but obviously it's not exactly roomy for him. He has fallen asleep in it recently so I guess he's still comfortable, never complains (but he doesn't ride a ton). The push is amazing.
The mountain buggy duet is almost definitely too small for you but you can look for a used duo which is the much bigger, older model. They basically last forever. But it's just as bulky as the bumbleride.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 9:29 am
I know 3 people who owned the Bumbleride who bounced it up a few steps regularly, and all 3 had their frame crack within the first 1 - 2 years. [Bumbleride did replace the frame for all of them]
In the end 2 of them got the mountain buggy instead (and sold their new frame) and were so much happier. They said it was a much stronger frame.
[I don't have experience with either]

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 1:09 pm
definitely a double jogger. I love the instep safari. not sure if the double works with a car seat. officially, all joggers are recommended from ages 6 months and up, but they lie flat and have a five point harness. I have used the instep safari double from newborn, it was wonderful. it will also give you a very smooth ride bumping down steps, but it is heavy. I used to put four kids in mine regularly, it held up quite well. it's large, though, so storage may be a problem.

wife2

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 2:17 pm
does the baby trend double jogger work well in snow? I know it is cheaper than the others but it still has big tires

busydev

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 3:10 pm
we bought the baby trend single jogging stroller for use in snow and were very happy with it so we also got the double... tho we have not yet had to use it in the snow. the air tires are large and it pushed very nicely... for a fraction of the price of a new "brand name" jogging stroller.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 11:57 pm
Thanks ladies, for all your responses!

I really like the bumbleride, but in terms of the frame cracking with stair bouncing...thats a concern!

I would love for the duet to be big enough but I have a feeling its a bit small in terms of the seat width, which of course is also its selling point, but whatever...

I keep coming back to the city mini gt because it is the least expensive, but also versatile in that it folds easily and although it is heavy it shouldn't be too difficult for in and out of the car. It also has generously sized seats and high weight limit, although the basket is basically worthless...and we get a lot of use out of our basket now.

A few other options I've seen:
Does anyone have a taller toddler with a city select? I like the versatility of the configurations, but I am concerned about space in terms of leg clearance, as well as maneuvering, with a heavier child in the lower front seat (if the heavier child has to go on top, I wouldn't get it...the benefit of this one for me is the baby up closer to me). Also, are the wheels too small for snowy conditions? I know an air tire would technically be the best, but still.

Also, if I were to get smaller, non-air filled tires, I would look at the Valco Snap double. It has a similar set of features to the GT but its lighter (slightly lower weight capacity but same as bumble).

HELP...I'm feeling overwhelmed with options and I don't want to make a big purchase and regret it. What if we buy something and hate it or it isn't good quality or we misjudged what our needs will be and we buy a big heavy jogger and need for the car more?!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics