Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help me use up Farina and oat bran

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 10:29 am
Looking through the pantry I have found myself with an almost full box of Oat bran and a (mistakenly) opened box of Farina. With Pesach not so far away, I need ideas to incorporate these two items in recipes.

Any ideas?

workaholicmama

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 10:37 am
These are my lkatchila uses, not just erev Pesach....
Yummy Chocolate chip cookies, substitute part of the flour for out bran.
When coating chicken you can add some oat bran to the crumbs, adds fiber and nutrients...
(I never buy farina cause don't like it....)

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:09 am
Why dont you make farina? You can add the oatbran to the farina for a more wholesome version. There are also many uses for farina lik muffins etc. google to see your options.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:10 am
They can both be used I place of some of the flour I cc cookies. My mother put some farina in challah and said it came out well. Use it for half the flour in muffins.

crocsrock

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:27 am
on the farina box there is a muffin recipe. I've made them a hundred times - the kids and adults eat them up! try it - lots of folic acid and protein. u can also add blueberries - yum!

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 4:01 pm
farina--add to meatball mix. Or better yet you can make soup kibbe. 1 cup farina to 1 cup ground meat, season with salt, pepper, a pinch of nutmet, chopped parsley, 1 tbsp chilled water. Knead well, make into small balls about 1.5 inch diameter, boil for 15min and serve in soup (This is the cheat version--the real McCoy has an outershell with ground rice and a bit of meat, encasing the filling that's spiced ground meat.)

You can also add to oatmeal, use instead of ground rice for rice pudding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen