Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How much do you spend on average per Shaloch Manos?

How much do you spend on average per Shaloch Manos?
$0 - $2.50  
 34%  [ 28 ]
$2.50 - $5.00  
 39%  [ 32 ]
$5.00 - $10.00  
 20%  [ 17 ]
$10.00 - $15.00  
 1%  [ 1 ]
$15.00 - $20.00  
 1%  [ 1 ]
$20.00 - $30.00  
 1%  [ 1 ]
$30 and more  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 81

blueberries

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 9:08 pm
We spend around $5 - $10 per shaloch manos. Just wondering how much everyone else spends. Also typicaly how many do you send out?

sky

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 9:12 pm
Standard between $1.00 - $1.50 , about 50
Teachers and Rabbanim and Bosses, $9 - $18, about 12

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 9:31 pm
About $1.00 each (possibly less) I bake, and wrap in cellophane.
For rebbeim and morahs about $5

I give about 40 (+ approx 8 teachers)

We spend a lot more on matanos leevyonim, probably at least four times what we spend on mishloach manos.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 9:38 pm
$4 for 30 MM
$15 for 5 MM for parents/ILs, some special neighbors who do a lot, etc.

mandr

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 9:46 pm
Approximately $5-7 each for 24 Mishloach Manos. (I usually buy stuff that are sold by the dozen so I have to work with multiples of 12)

Leahh

Post Sun, Feb 08 2015, 10:45 pm
I try to keep it under $2 each. I make 2 nicer more expensive ones for rabbeim. We have more rabbeim this year so I guess I'll have to make more nice ones.

Miri7

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:31 am
40-50 in the $1-2 range. 2 nice ones in the $15-20 range.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 5:40 am
No idea. Everything is home-made, I don't shop for the ingredients separately and some of the stuff was already in the kitchen. Same answer if you ask me how much a pan of brownies costs to make. Well there's a cup of flour, and there are 8 cups in a kilo bag (are there? that's what a website said) and a bag of flour costs, well I don't know. Repeat for the other ingredients.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 6:10 am
I voted $30+, but I make very, very few. We live in a fairly remote OOT area; it's not as though we have 50+ neighbors and friends ringing the bell.

luppamom

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 8:03 am
imasoftov wrote:
No idea. Everything is home-made, I don't shop for the ingredients separately and some of the stuff was already in the kitchen. Same answer if you ask me how much a pan of brownies costs to make. Well there's a cup of flour, and there are 8 cups in a kilo bag (are there? that's what a website said) and a bag of flour costs, well I don't know. Repeat for the other ingredients.

This. In the past, I did a lot of homemade. Although, I overestimated and the ingredients were perishable so there was money wasted. This yr., nothing homemade. It was too stressful and I'd rather enjoy Purim... I'm also new in the neighborhood and not sure people would eat my kashrus. This yr., I am hoping to spend around 10 shekel on each and giving around 10 and one nice one (not sure what it will cost me)

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 8:34 am
I'm planning on spending about 90 shekels for 30 mishloach manos - about 3 shekels each. Although everything is home made, I listed all the ingredients and added them up. E.g. I know I'll need a bag of cocoa powder (on sale right now for 10 shekels), 4 bags of icing sugar...etc etc. I don't know exactly how much the wrappings will cost but I threw in about 10 shekels for cellophane and another 10 shekels for ribbons and bits. I may already have some of those things in the house, so I may not actually spend 100 shekels, but that's what it will cost me.

We're also going to need Rebbe mishloach manos (wine, and quite a bit of money - I heard at least 250 shekels per Rebbe), various for Rabbonim (wine and nuts in a respectable looking bag) and ganenet mishloach manos (nice looking glass dishes with healthy-ish food). And this is still mishloach manos, we haven't mentioned tzedakah yet.

So you can see that once we add in all the expensive ones, we're going to be spending a LOT. And Pesach is coming just around the corner. So that's why I give cutesy themed inexpensive treats to our friends (and in our community that's what they're giving to us too) - it makes everyone smile, and we can focus our limited shekels where they really need to go.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 8:38 am
Even when I make homemade I still spend on packaging, plates, ribbon, bags. I include all my expenses. And I do include ingredients. Most of what I send is homemade. So if I make 10 lbs of rolls I know how much 2 bags of flour costs and 1/2 dozen eggs , or if I make dips I know how much I spent on eggplants, techina paste.... I've been surprised sometimes how much the homemade ingredients add up.

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:24 am
Those that make them for about $1.00, what are you putting in them? If you can't send homemade is it possible to make them so cheap?

Shoelover

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:44 am
I spend $5-10 and make 50-60

mille

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:03 am
$1-2 each, and we give about 20 or so?

green mom

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:11 am
We spend around $4 for 40 and more for rebbiem and teachers.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:18 pm
About 6 MM, each 15 dollars. This year will be a patshke year for MMs! lol

rachel6543

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 1:29 am
prob around $1 or less each. I make a lot 40-60, so can't afford to spend a lot on each one. Today went to Costco and started to pick up some stuff toward it. So far, have spent 35 cents /each. Final price still tbd.

I usually make small simple (often healthier) ones. This yr I might actually bake something. Maybe oatmeal raisin cookies. I did that once and apparently it was very popular among my friends. I only give things I would eat myself. And I try to give healthier things. I don't do tons of candy. Also, I'm not into themes, poems... Etc. too much work for me!!! But I do enjoy seeing the creativity of my friends!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 1:37 am
ChutzPAh wrote:
Those that make them for about $1.00, what are you putting in them? If you can't send homemade is it possible to make them so cheap?

you can often get party gift bags at the Dollar store (20 small plastic bags for $1). I have filled with a small water bottle or juice box, granola bar, & fruit leather. Sometimes I've added tea bags, a small candy... Etc.
simple, healthier, parve, not expensive.
Many people have told me they like this because they can take the food to work or put in kid lunches.

Lsg1

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 7:18 pm
Last year, I did nuts and raisins, oatmeal packets, a banana, clementine and real juice juice boxes - all from Costco. What items do you do from Costco?

rachel6543 wrote:
prob around $1 or less each. I make a lot 40-60, so can't afford to spend a lot on each one. Today went to Costco and started to pick up some stuff toward it. So far, have spent 35 cents /each. Final price still tbd.

I usually make small simple (often healthier) ones. This yr I might actually bake something. Maybe oatmeal raisin cookies. I did that once and apparently it was very popular among my friends. I only give things I would eat myself. And I try to give healthier things. I don't do tons of candy. Also, I'm not into themes, poems... Etc. too much work for me!!! But I do enjoy seeing the creativity of my friends!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics