Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Yogurt Starter

Emuna

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 11:03 pm
Is there such a thing as cholov yisroel yogurt starter? Or could someone tell me how to make my own yogurt?

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:03 am
Ive heard of yogurt but never of yogurt starter? is it a kind of yogurt or a brand?
Here where I live cholov yisroel yogurts are always available.

Sparkle

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:22 am
Why under weight loss? Does yogurt started help you lose weight? I wish... Very Happy

chen

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 8:04 am
you don't need to buy special yogurt starter. Just use a dollop of plain unflavored yogurt "with live and active yogurt cultures". Those that have it will proudly say so on the label.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 9:43 am
I used to make my own yogurt and found it not to be worth it, but you enjoy it if that's what you want.

Emuna

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 10:38 am
I'll tell you why - I don't like how they add sugar to Ahava plain. I want a really healthy, pure yogurt with NO sugar. Chen, does Ahava work? They put a lot of "stuff" in there like thickeners, etc. Sorry it's under weight loss - I didn't know where else to put it Exclamation

Imhappy!

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:32 am
my mother always used a spoon of plain yogurt as a started and she made the best yogurt ( it's a combination taste of yogurt and leben) yumm I should really buy one...!

de_goldy

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:38 am
How do you make it?

chen

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:42 am
Emuna wrote:
I'll tell you why - I don't like how they add sugar to Ahava plain. I want a really healthy, pure yogurt with NO sugar. Chen, does Ahava work? They put a lot of "stuff" in there like thickeners, etc. Sorry it's under weight loss - I didn't know where else to put it Exclamation

they add sugar to plain yogurt? and they get away with calling it plain yogurt? as long as it says "live and active yogurt cultures" it should work, but it's possible that the results may be unpredictable. All the added stuff may reduce the overall concentration of cultures, so you may need to add more than usual, which IIRC is about 1- 2 tablespoons per quart of milk.

chen

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:46 am
de_goldy wrote:
How do you make it?

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/g.....shtml
http://www.integrativehealthco......html
http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/yogurt.htm

Esther01

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 1:27 pm
I was just reading this thread (and the wedsites from chen's post) and can't believe how ppl make yogurt. what's the whole idea if you are heating and cooling the milk? you are loosing all the nutrition....

this is the way my mother does it. simple and delicious.

she buys WHOLE NON-PASTURIZED MILK in a health food store. then she puts in a teaspoon of her previous batch in all the cups that she will be filling up. she fills up the cups with the milk, then she puts the cups up in the cabinet (for the warmth and dark) after 24 hours of letting it sit you have YUMMY yogurt with BUTTER on top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! put into fridge and hearty appetite.

Emuna

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 8:40 pm
Esther this sounds AMAZING - and thank you so much chen for the info. My question is, where can I get unpasteurized cholov yisroel milk?

Emuna

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 8:40 pm
I would accept frozen from Israel if available.

Esther01

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 9:26 pm
do you live in the NY area?

roza

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 9:26 pm
I remember asking a rov if this starter can be botel beshishim, you can ask him this and see what he will tell you, I remember doing it this way years ago. it was delish. but I remember starting from the 3rd batch, and this culture grows, I think...you only need a teaspoon of this culture for big jar of milk.
and I did it with regular milk, no, heating nothing, just left it in room tempurature and that was it.

update: I just realized that I was talking not about yogurt cultures but KEFIR cutltures, but I found that if I keep them in milk long enough it becomes yogurt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

Emuna

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 9:51 pm
OK, so you made three batches of kefir from the original kefir, and then added a teaspoon of THIS to the whole milk. Then let it sit for how long? And when should it start to be refrigerated?

Esther I'm in Los Angeles!!

roza

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 9:58 pm
Emuna wrote:
OK, so you made three batches of kefir from the original kefir, and then added a teaspoon of THIS to the whole milk. Then let it sit for how long? And when should it start to be refrigerated?

Esther I'm in Los Angeles!!

first ask a rov or call OK lab if it will be botel beshishim, because it's not really a milk - that culture itself. may be you don't need to take the precautions that I took by making few batches and growing this first culture that I got and then taking the 'babies' that are produced with time from the original culture and putting them in the new jar of milk.

but trust me, it's delish and worth the effort (in the begining, afterwards you just put it in the jar of milk)

and now those KEFIR GRAINS are sold on ebay. just search ebay for kefir grains.

HealthCoach

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 11:06 pm
Are there kosher kefir grains? I would be very interested in buying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise