Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
It all smells like pee

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 3:41 pm
I have a chronic bedwetter. By now all her pajamas smell like pee no matter how much they're washed, blankets too. How can I get the sell out?

nywife

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 3:58 pm
Try mixing 1/4 cup of color safe bleach with a gallon of water and soaking it for a few hours. Then wash with regular detergent.

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 12 2015, 4:37 pm
Either presoak in water with a cup of vinegar added, or pour a cup of vinegar in the final rinse water. The vinegar neutralizes the ammonia in the urine and the vinegar odor dissipates once the fabric is dry.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 4:06 pm
How old is she? Why would you let her ruin all her cloths and the mattress if she is a chronic bedwetter?

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 4:18 pm
Oxi clean? Presoaking in the powder/hot water combo and maybe adding a small bit of vinegar to the washing machine may get stains and smell out. Oxi clean helped us out for the explosive diaper stage... No smell.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 4:21 pm
amother wrote:
How old is she? Why would you let her ruin all her cloths and the mattress if she is a chronic bedwetter?

And why are you amother??? Just to insult a desperate mom who is trying to help her child? You don't know if there is a medical reason or if they are working on a solution now. Dont judge.
This is amother abuse.

Grandma 1

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 4:25 pm
I would add powdered Borax, or Arm and Hammer Washing Soda to the detergent, when you launder the pj's and bedding. Follow the directions on the box on how to get rid of odors.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 4:26 pm
Hey there....relax,

I asked because I had the same issue with my dd, (still have) and I made her wear protection to bed, so I was wondering how old her dd is that shes sleeping in her reg underwear.

rikki!

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 4:54 pm
zaq wrote:
Either presoak in water with a cup of vinegar added, or pour a cup of vinegar in the final rinse water. The vinegar neutralizes the ammonia in the urine and the vinegar odor dissipates once the fabric is dry.

I second that- vinegar does the trick.

ice princess

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 6:06 pm
Ammonia works as well, I add it to every load. It neutralizes every smell, clothes come out smelling fresh & clean.

imasinger

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 7:58 pm
I'm with Grandma1. I have a Costco bag of Arm and Hammer baking soda next to my detergent, and a handful added to smelly loads works great.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
Hey there....relax,

I asked because I had the same issue with my dd, (still have) and I made her wear protection to bed, so I was wondering how old her dd is that shes sleeping in her reg underwear.

Then please state that in your post. Otherwise, your post sounds quite condescending and rude. Sorry you are facing this struggle-hugs. But Without your personal story, it was amother abuse- and I get quite frustrated with people using amother to attack others. Yes, I use amother- but only when it could reveal something about me IRL.

granolamom

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:20 pm
amother wrote:

pullups often leak. older kids often prefer to 'try' to stay dry rather than wear 'diapers'. younger kids often balk at wearing 'diapers' to bed and will sometimes just take them off if 'made to wear them'. chronic bedwetters often wet heavily at night and the smell goes right through the diaper and permeates the clothes and bedding. and also, there's a shita that wearing a diaper inhibits the development of waking up when wetting, so its not always a great way to go. I'm sure there are many other reasons that dont come to mind right now.
its highly unusual that a mother doesnt think of the obvious solutions, usually its that the obvious solution was not working or possible in their specific situation.

to the OP, I agree with the vinegar idea. and air dry outdoors if you can. also, natural fabrics will release the smell more readily than polyesters. so I'd keep that in mind when purchasing pj's. good luck, and remember, this too shall pass!

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 7:59 am
granolamom wrote:
pullups often leak. older kids often prefer to 'try' to stay dry rather than wear 'diapers'. younger kids often balk at wearing 'diapers' to bed and will sometimes just take them off if 'made to wear them'. chronic bedwetters often wet heavily at night and the smell goes right through the diaper and permeates the clothes and bedding. and also, there's a shita that wearing a diaper inhibits the development of waking up when wetting, so its not always a great way to go. I'm sure there are many other reasons that dont come to mind right now.
its highly unusual that a mother doesnt think of the obvious solutions, usually its that the obvious solution was not working or possible in their specific situation.

to the OP, I agree with the vinegar idea. and air dry outdoors if you can. also, natural fabrics will release the smell more readily than polyesters. so I'd keep that in mind when purchasing pj's. good luck, and remember, this too shall pass!

OP here--- yes! thank you!
7 year old wpon't wear pullups, we tried a bed alarm without success. She has several plastic sheets but they were starting to smell too. Went to a uroligst who gave us meds but I'm not so keen on them and want to find another way to help her

Anyway, zaq's vinergar idea worked great
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry