Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
New Jersey

amother

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 1:03 pm
Does anyone know of a nice city in New Jersey that is close to NYC that has somewhat of a Lubavitch kehilla and shul?

baseballmom

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 2:16 pm
morristown?

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 6:32 pm
Morristown for sure (I live there...)...I believe there is also a kehilla in Hillside, though maybe smaller.

The only downside to Morristown is that basically you have to buy, and the real estate is astronomically expensive...esp if you want to be able to actually walk to shul. We're B"H here bc dh is in kollel...and housing is the stipend.

bashinda

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 7:53 pm
I wouldn't recommend Morristown unless you're in kollel. It's such a transient place. How come nobody's mentioned Passaic? Isn't there some sort of a Lubavitch community there?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 8:15 pm
bashinda wrote:
I wouldn't recommend Morristown unless you're in kollel. It's such a transient place. How come nobody's mentioned Passaic? Isn't there some sort of a Lubavitch community there?

There is but it is very small...

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 9:55 pm
I understand that Morristown is problematic unless you are politically in line with the yeshiva there.

Passaic? we've discussed that before. just search passaic. I didn't really say nice things about it, warning.

brooklyn

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 11:29 pm
How about Edison, highland Park. Sorry don't know many Jersey communities other than the ones mentioned.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 12:10 am
I thought Passaic was a very yeshivish crowd ...

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 8:26 am
brooklyn wrote:
How about Edison, highland Park.

The Lubavitch shluchim there don't want Lubavitchers to move there unless they are shluchim themselves. I wish I could move there, its a huge jewish community and a ton of shuls.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 9:05 am
[quote="chocolate moose"]I understand that Morristown is problematic unless you are politically in line with the yeshiva there.
quote]

I believe I know what you are referring to, and it really would only be an issue to someone who feels the need to publicize their opinion in a loud manner constantly...not normal things like yarmulkes, putting what they think on a bentscher, etc. rather needing to put yellow signs, etc. up everywhere and shouting things loudly everywhere they go.

Plenty of families, including some of the rabbis, some of the kollel yungerleit, and some of the baal habatim are of this opinion within the realms of nonobnoxious behavior. It is true though that the community is not so into shouting things/waving signs, etc. about it not out of embarassment but rather out of tznius.

If you meant something else, sorry I misunderstood.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 9:07 am
amother wrote:
brooklyn wrote:

The Lubavitch shluchim there don't want Lubavitchers to move there unless they are shluchim themselves. I wish I could move there, its a huge jewish community and a ton of shuls.

and do they really control Edison, New Jersey ...

mamaluv

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 4:01 pm
[quote="amother"][quote="brooklyn"]How about Edison, highland Park.[/quote]

The Lubavitch shluchim there don't want Lubavitchers to move there unless they are shluchim themselves. I wish I could move there, its a huge jewish community and a ton of shuls.[/quote]

why don't they want other lubavitcher's?

mamaluv

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 4:03 pm
How do u qoute someone with having the white backdrop and not like my previous post?

mimivan

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 4:09 pm
There's a really nice shul and Chabad house in Tenafly. The Rabbi there is Rabbi Shain
11 Harold Street
Tenafly, NJ 07670-1819 USA
Phone: 201-871-1152 ext. 101
Fax: 201-871-4181
Web: www.chabadlubavitch.org
Rabbi Mordechai Shain
Mrs. Malka Shain

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 4:09 pm
greenfire wrote:
I thought Passaic was a very yeshivish crowd ...

It is a mix of people - there is a large yeshivish community, many baalei teshuva, and a small modern orthodox community. The chabad there is pretty small.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 6:01 pm
MSJ wrote:
amother wrote:
brooklyn wrote:

why don't they want other lubavitcher's?

Edison doesn't even have shluchim anymore. Also there is no Lubavitch shul besides the chabad house in New Brunswick and thats 99% of the time is focused on the college students. The only programs they make for families is Lag B'Omer (some years) Purim (some years),Pesach seders and a moshiach seudah in the main MO shul in town. All the people makarved through the chabad house there, move out within a few years unless they don't really consider themselves Lubavitch and become more frum but not really following all Lub customs. The frum school in the area isn't very Lubavitch friendly either. Its a very nice frum commmunity but not really for Lubavitchers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics