Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
What's going on in Baltimore?

shstreich

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 9:42 pm
Anybody live near the violence? How is this affecting you?

nywife

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 9:46 pm
Baltimore ladies, thinking of you. Hope you and your families are safe.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Apr 27 2015, 10:49 pm
What's going on now? Just a plain old riot. The National Guard is being called in, and there's a 10pm - 5am curfew starting tomorrow night.

To this point I haven't heard of any trouble in the immediate area. Shomrim is patrolling. Closest violence I'm aware of is the trashing of Mondawmin Mall, about a 15-minute drive from my home.

Baltimoron

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 9:13 pm
All I've done for the past two days is check the news at least every 5 minutes and listen to "credible threats" regarding unpeaceful gatherings in places (very close to) where we live, work and shop. I spent the rest of my time fielding texts and making arrangements for what is closing early (work, schools) and figuring out alternate routes. It is exhausting! BH I haven't seen or heard of any violence immediately in the frum neighborhoods. I did see armored vehicles driving down Park Heights Avenue this evening towards downtown. I feel on edge not knowing what the next few hours will bring. It is certainly giving me an eye-opening glimpse into what life in E"Y must be like.

Shuls and the mikva are taking the 10 pm curfew seriously and locking their doors. One shul removed the sifrei torah. When my husband came home from mincha he said they actually did something different (not put head down during tachanun?) due to no sifrei torah present.

Hashem should keep the law enforcement safe and help them do their jobs all over the world.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 9:32 pm
Baltimoron, welcome! What a great screen name!

The mayor seems, sadly... overwhelmed, weak, not up to the job. And the police chief seems soft. So far the only grownup in the room has been Governor Hogan.

Shomrim has been doing a terrific job here in the (frum) 'hood — I just hope they're not subject to the curfew. So far all has been quiet here today, but people, white and black, are uneasy.

Baltimoron

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 9:37 pm
Thanks RD. I've been on for a long time under a different sn. I didn't want to out my location with my regular sn.

sourstix

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 9:41 pm
so how is it that one person has two diff screen names? I wouldnt mind that. is anyone else here doing this? how?

sequoia

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 9:46 pm
Just make a new account with a new email.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 1:00 am
Baltimoron wrote:
All I've done for the past two days is check the news at least every 5 minutes and listen to "credible threats" regarding unpeaceful gatherings in places (very close to) where we live, work and shop. I spent the rest of my time fielding texts and making arrangements for what is closing early (work, schools) and figuring out alternate routes. It is exhausting! BH I haven't seen or heard of any violence immediately in the frum neighborhoods. I did see armored vehicles driving down Park Heights Avenue this evening towards downtown. I feel on edge not knowing what the next few hours will bring. It is certainly giving me an eye-opening glimpse into what life in E"Y must be like.

Shuls and the mikva are taking the 10 pm curfew seriously and locking their doors. One shul removed the sifrei torah. When my husband came home from mincha he said they actually did something different (not put head down during tachanun?) due to no sifrei torah present.

Hashem should keep the law enforcement safe and help them do their jobs all over the world.

No, it doesn't. Rolling Eyes

etky

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 1:18 am
DrMom wrote:
No, it doesn't. Rolling Eyes

Well, maybe during the Intifada, in certain areas like mine, but not major cities.
For me, the alternate route thing and the armored vehicles definitely brings back memories....

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 2:09 am
etky wrote:
Well, maybe during the Intifada, in certain areas like mine, but not major cities.
For me, the alternate route thing and the armored vehicles definitely brings back memories....

Okay...

But if someone from EY were to post, "The news from Baltimore this week is certainly giving me an eye-opening glimpse into what life in the US must be like," most people from the US would recognize that it is ridiculous to extrapolate from a riot that necessitates the National Guard to everyday life in the US.

Baltimoron, daily life here is mostly peaceful, with very low rates of violent crime. Please visit us sometime soon!

June

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 2:21 am
Quote:
I feel on edge not knowing what the next few hours will bring.

I certainly felt this way during the last war....

I think she was referring to high-tension times, not all times.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 2:35 am
June wrote:
Quote:
I feel on edge not knowing what the next few hours will bring.

I certainly felt this way during the last war....

I think she was referring to high-tension times, not all times.

Okay, fair enough. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics