Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Baltimore: Jewish school for nonfrum family

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:55 pm
Hi, I want to help my cousin who lives in the Baltimore area. She is a rare combination of Conservative Jew who is politically conservative. She does not want to send her kids to public school because they're a disaster and very woke. She also doesn't want to send to Solomon Schechter because they got on the woke bandwagon. She wants to look into Orthodox schools. Obviously the type that are more diverse and not all the families are frum. What are her options in Baltimore?

Batyah85

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:58 pm
Beth Tefiloh is her best bet.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:00 pm
I agree with Beth Tefillah.
If she’s closer to Silver Spring, Berman.
She should know about the different schools.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:02 pm
Beth Tfiloh is close to what she is looking for but NOT politically conservative.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:03 pm
Beth tfiloh is exactly what she is looking for. It identifies as an orthodox school in terms of Judaic studies with primarily non orthodox students. Their ideology is pro Israel.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:11 pm
Beth Tfiloh

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:12 pm
Another vote for Beth Tfiloh.

It fits exactly what shes looking for.

Probably not super conservative but very pro Israel and not crazy woke.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:19 pm
Thanks. I think her main concerns politically are Israel and pushing LGBTQ stuff. Other political issues don't matter as much.

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:27 pm
Maybe look into OCA if Beth Tefiloh doesn’t fit the bill.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. I think her main concerns politically are Israel and pushing LGBTQ stuff. Other political issues don't matter as much.

I think there are lgbtq family/families at BT. I don’t think they push agendas but they are welcoming to everyone.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 11:01 pm
So here is the deal and what I hear from my friends that send. Unfortunately being woke and pro lgbtq is trendy for the highschool age. So yes, there is a some lgbtq students in the school or at least very accepting of this lifestyle.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:58 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
So here is the deal and what I hear from my friends that send. Unfortunately being woke and pro lgbtq is trendy for the highschool age. So yes, there is a some lgbtq students in the school or at least very accepting of this lifestyle.

I heard that was the case but wasn’t sure how true it was. What do you mean by accepting?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:59 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Maybe look into OCA if Beth Tefiloh doesn’t fit the bill.

I think oca may be too religious.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:01 pm
How about Chabad?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:11 pm
Would love to meet them! ☺️

I think they need to make a decision what is more important for them. BT is definitely going to be more liberal than they like. But OCA or BY/TA are too Orthodox for them right now. They need to think long term- would they rather their kids turn out like the average BT alumnus or like the average OCA alumnus? Only they can answer that.
Or... they need to move to a redder state where they can find politically conservative non-frum communities. But that is becoming more and more rare.
Honestly, I think if I were in their shoes, I'd homeschool. What they want simply does not exist anymore Sad

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:19 pm
Also, how old are the kids? Are we talking about elementary kids or high school kids?

amother
Peru

Post Yesterday at 12:19 am
Beth Tefiloh is the middle ground. If you push the kid too far in the other direction, they're prone to rebel at a certain age and you'd risk them leaving the Jewish community all together if the kid's politics don't match the mother's when the child comes of age. Being accepting of people from various walks of life and with various political views is hardly the worst a child could encounter in school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics