Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Its that time of year !!!Dairy recipes needed!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Amarante

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 11:44 am
etky wrote:
Sounds like a fried kichel, LOL. Or rather like bow-shaped taiglach w/o the honey glaze.
Interesting about the home ovens. It's a good question for a social historian.
I always thought though that the reason they put the cholent in the baker's oven was because it was a such a large and heavy duty oven that retained its heat even when it was switched off for Shabbat - something that smaller domestic ovens couldn't do.

I don't know the name of the cookie but I recognized it immediately when I saw it in a Martha Stewart magazine. Very Happy The Italians have a very similar cookie called a Cenci. The Polish version is called a Chrusciki. I just looked up Kichel and that's not the same cookie. I remember round versions of the Kichel were sold in bakeries. The "bow tie" cookie is a rectangle and a slit is done with a knife and one end is pulled through and then it is fried until crisp and dusted with powdered sugar.

My major in college was social history because I was more interested in cultural history than the "great man" theory. Not that you didn't have to know names and dates so that things could be placed into context but I really was interested in how the "culture" revealed how people really lived and thought. I love how recipes change.

I love reading old cookbooks because they provide a lot of insight. I never knew why my grandmother had The Settlement Cookbook (subtitled A Way To A Man's Heart) Very Happy as opposed to some of the other ones like Fannie Farmer until I read a cookbook history and how that one originated with a settlement house that was geared towards Jewish immigrants. That's why it became a standard wedding gift to a certain generation of Jewish women.

I'm not sure what kind of stoves were available back in 19th Century Eastern Europe. I know that the cast iron stove didn't become prevalent in the US until after the US Civil War. A technological advancement but it still must have been quite difficult to bake cakes and other such items in the oven. Not to mention that not even an EGGBEATER existed until late 19th century. Very Happy

Anyway, a major digression on this thread. Very Happy

Amarante

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 7:17 pm
There are some bakeries that sell kosher cannoli if anyone wants to try the real thing.

You can also buy authentic kosher shells online and then make the filling at home. Just google "kosher cannoli" and several sources come up. If you are buying shells, I would recommend the miniature size for a party event as the large are quite filling and don't leave room for other goodies and are difficult to split into smaller portions as one can do with a cake.

In terms of filling, an authentic cannoli is filled with a ricotta based filling. It's essentially just ricotta cheese blended with confectioners sugar and depending on the recipe - vanilla, orange, cinnamon and maybe some mini chocolate chips.

Filling:
2 cups ricotta cheese, preferably whole milk
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup small semisweet chocolate chips
1 lemon

For the filling: In a medium bowl, whisk the ricotta until smooth. Sift in the powdered sugar, cinnamon and allspice. Mix to blend. In a separate bowl (or in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment), beat the heavy cream until fairly stiff. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the cream into the ricotta mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips. Lightly zest the exterior of the lemon and stir it into the ricotta. Refrigerate for a half hour to an hour

To fill the cannolis: Just before serving, use a pastry bag without a tip to pipe the ricotta into the cannoli molds. Fill the cannoli shells from both ends so the cream runs through the whole shell. Dust with powdered sugar. Powdered sugar gives that little extra sweetness and added texture to the exterior. It also makes me feel like I have a professional bakery touch in my own home. Serve immediately.

Cook's Note: Make and fry the shells and the filling. Don't fill the shells with the cream until you are ready to eat them. Everyone loves a crispy cannoli.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec.....kback

etky

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 2:49 pm
Amarante wrote:
I don't know the name of the cookie but I recognized it immediately when I saw it in a Martha Stewart magazine. Very Happy The Italians have a very similar cookie called a Cenci. The Polish version is called a Chrusciki. I just looked up Kichel and that's not the same cookie. I remember round versions of the Kichel were sold in bakeries. The "bow tie" cookie is a rectangle and a slit is done with a knife and one end is pulled through and then it is fried until crisp and dusted with powdered sugar.

My major in college was social history because I was more interested in cultural history than the "great man" theory. Not that you didn't have to know names and dates so that things could be placed into context but I really was interested in how the "culture" revealed how people really lived and thought. I love how recipes change.

I love reading old cookbooks because they provide a lot of insight. I never knew why my grandmother had The Settlement Cookbook (subtitled A Way To A Man's Heart) Very Happy as opposed to some of the other ones like Fannie Farmer until I read a cookbook history and how that one originated with a settlement house that was geared towards Jewish immigrants. That's why it became a standard wedding gift to a certain generation of Jewish women.

I'm not sure what kind of stoves were available back in 19th Century Eastern Europe. I know that the cast iron stove didn't become prevalent in the US until after the US Civil War. A technological advancement but it still must have been quite difficult to bake cakes and other such items in the oven. Not to mention that not even an EGGBEATER existed until late 19th century. Very Happy

Anyway, a major digression on this thread. Very Happy

LOL, history was also one of my majors in University, though here they don't distinguish between social, political, military etc.. The major distinction is between Jewish and General history which are separate departments. I did prefer courses that dealt with social and religious history though.
I also inherited a yellowed copy of the Settlement Cookbook from either a grandmother or great grandmother - I'm not sure which. It does make fascinating reading for anyone interested in the culinary aspect of social history.
Back to Kichel - I was not familiar with the round shape so I googled it to have a look. Funny, I always thought the bowtie shape was one if its distinguishing features. The part that's twisted is my favorite part of the kichel - it's slightly chewier and denser than the ends.
As far as cannolis go - am I the only one who is familiar with it from The Sopranos? (that was from the era before I stopped watching TV and actually one of the triggers of my decision to stop watching -the show I mean, not the cannolis Very Happy )

studying_torah

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:33 am
My grandmother was from Poland and used to make those bow ties as well and dust w powered sugar

yenny

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 9:20 am
Hey !! anymore recipes out there??

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 9:24 am
yenny wrote:
Hey !! anymore recipes out there??
What are you looking for? Maybe we should start our shavuos menu 2015 thread so people can post their plans and ideas.

yenny

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 9:30 am
ra_mom wrote:
What are you looking for? Maybe we should start our shavuos menu 2015 thread so people can post their plans and ideas.

Sounds like a great idea! I'm looking for savory dairy dishes, and desserts .

Amarante

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 5:59 pm
Freezes well

Vegetable Moussaka
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serving Size: 12

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. zucchini (about 3 medium), sliced thin
1 1/2 lbs. russet potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and sliced thin
3 lbs. small eggplants
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 onion, diced
1 1/2 cups cooked or steamed lentils
1 roasted red bell pepper, sliced thin
3 cups diced ripe red tomatoes or 2 cans (15 oz. each) diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you're spice sensitive use 1/4 tsp)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
10 tablespoons grated pecorino or parmesan cheese, divided

For The Bechamel Sauce

1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all purpose white flour
3 cups milk
1 egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, or more to taste
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper

Directions:

TIME SAVING NOTES: This moussaka takes quite a bit of time to prepare, but you can cut down the prep time substantially with a few simple modifications. Buy jarred roasted peppers so you don't need to roast them yourself and buy pre-steamed or canned lentils. Prep all of your vegetables in advance and have all of your items ready to assemble for both the moussaka and the sauce; pausing to hunt for or measure an ingredient every few minutes will increase your cooking time quite a bit. The better you are organized from the beginning, the faster the process will be!

Place racks on the upper and lower thirds of your oven. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Grease two baking sheets with extra virgin olive oil. Spread out the zucchini, potatoes, and 3 garlic cloves in a single layer across the baking sheets. Brush the exposed tops of the vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper. Place baking sheet with potatoes on the upper rack of the oven. Place sheet with zucchini on the lower half. Roast veggies for 10 minutes. Remove sheets from oven and place them back in the oven, switching racks (zucchini and garlic on top, potatoes on bottom). Roast for about 5 more minutes, until veggies are tender and starting to turn golden brown (check the bottoms of the veggies for browning).

While potatoes and zucchini are roasting, remove the stem ends from the eggplants. Peel strips from the eggplants so that they have thin stripes of peel remaining down the sides (they will be half-peeled). Cut the eggplants into 1/2 inch slices. When potatoes and zucchini are done roasting, remove them from the oven and scoop veggies into a bowl using a slotted spatula. Take the 3 roasted garlic cloves and chop them, reserve. Re-grease the baking sheets with olive oil. Spread eggplant slices into a single layer across the two baking sheets. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Place the baking sheets in the oven and roast for 10-15 minutes, switching the baking sheets on upper and lower thirds halfway through cooking, until the slices are tender and lightly golden (check the bottom edges of slices for browning).

While eggplant is roasting, place a sauté pan or skillet with high sides on the stovetop. Warm up 2 tbsp olive oil in the pan over medium high heat. Sauté diced onion until softened and translucent. Add roasted bell pepper slices and chopped roasted garlic, saute for another 2 minutes. Add cooked lentils, diced tomatoes, fresh dill, oregano, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and 3/4 tsp salt to the pan; stir well. Reduce heat to medium and let mixture cook for about 5 more minutes until warmed through. If using fresh tomatoes, let the mixture cook for 10 minutes until tomatoes are soft.

When eggplant is done roasting, remove it from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Use a slotted spatula to scoop up the eggplant slices and place in a bowl.

Lightly grease your baking dish or pan. Place a single layer of half of the roasted eggplant slices on the bottom of your dish. On top of that, place a layer of half the potatoes and half the zucchini. Spread the lentil mixture evenly in a single layer across the surface. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of grated pecorino or parmesan and ½ cup crumbled feta across the top of the lentil mixture. Place the rest of the potatoes and zucchini in another layer on top of the cheese. Finish with a layer of the remaining roasted eggplant slices. Sprinkle top of the moussaka with 2 tbsp more of grated parmesan cheese.

Place moussaka in the oven for 20 minutes to bake at 375 degrees F.

Meanwhile, while the moussaka is baking, make the béchamel sauce for the top of the moussaka. In a small pan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk flour into the melted butter till dissolved and thick. Continue to whisk for a few minutes until the flour/butter mixture turns a light sandy brown color. Slowly whisk in milk. Bring mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium. Whisk in 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese. Continue whisking for a few minutes until the sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat. Add ¾ tsp salt, nutmeg, and black pepper to taste. Whisk the beaten egg slowly into the sauce (drizzle the egg while whisking constantly).

Remove the moussaka from the oven. Pour sauce evenly across the top of the moussaka. Sprinkle ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese on top of the sauce. Put moussaka back in the oven. Cook for another 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and the moussaka is cooked through. If the top isn't evenly browned, you can turn on the broiler and broil it for a minute or two-- keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't burn. Serve hot. Don’t expect it all to hold together neatly when served; it will slice more cleanly and pieces will hold together better after it has cooled.

Notes:

Freezes well

etky

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 12:11 pm
blimy2 wrote:
Cheese Canoles (Canolies)

Totally heaven and so easy to make! Look professional without too much effort.
You can decorate as you wish. I personally like to dip the ends in melted milky chocolate and then into caramelized nuts for that extra crunch!

SERVING/YIELD-40
PREP TIME-20 min
INGREDIENTS
1 9% Tnuva Soft Cheese (G'vinah Levana)
1 (8 oz) Cream Cheese
1 cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Vanilla Sugar
1 (8 oz) whip
Cigars
Chocolate

1.Combine the 9% and cream cheese. Mix in the sugar and vanilla sugar.
2.Whip up the whip and and combine with the mixture.
3.Fill the cigars and decorate to your liking.
Eat and enjoy!

Ok, so help me out here. I got my wafer rolls in the supermarket (that's what I'm using instead of canolies/cigars) and now I need to know how to fill them. They're awfully small. Please don't tell me I need a pastry bag. I hate those things. Sad

boysmom4

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 1:34 pm
they,re the easiest to make, so dont make them before next week!!
beat up the mixture, put it all in a thick clear bag, cut off the end and squeeze!!
then you can dip them in chocolate!
why are the ones you bought so small?
they should be around 2 inch big

etky

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 3:21 pm
They are about that size, if not a tad longer - it's just that I only now realized that I can't use a spoon or anything like that to fill them. I hate using anything fussy like a pastry bag but I guess I don't have a choice. At least a plastic bag doesn't need to be washed afterwards.

bargainlover

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 5:23 pm
blimy2 wrote:
Cheese Canoles (Canolies)

Totally heaven and so easy to make! Look professional without too much effort.
You can decorate as you wish. I personally like to dip the ends in melted milky chocolate and then into caramelized nuts for that extra crunch!

SERVING/YIELD-40
PREP TIME-20 min
INGREDIENTS
1 9% Tnuva Soft Cheese (G'vinah Levana)
1 (8 oz) Cream Cheese
1 cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Vanilla Sugar
1 (8 oz) whip
Cigars
Chocolate

1.Combine the 9% and cream cheese. Mix in the sugar and vanilla sugar.
2.Whip up the whip and and combine with the mixture.
3.Fill the cigars and decorate to your liking.
Eat and enjoy!

Fridge or freezer is better to store them? And how do u serve frozen or straight from fridge?

boysmom4

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 3:58 am
Fill the cigars. Freeze. When filling is completely frozen.
Dip ends into melted chocolate and nuts.
I think this is a better option!!
freeze them and serve when defrosted
freezes nicely

Amarante

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 2:15 pm
Yotam Ottolenghi's Cauliflower Cake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London’s Ottolenghi by Yotam Ottolenghi
Serving Size: 4 - 6

Summary:

Fluffy, tender, and moist with cauliflower but well-seasoned with onion, herbs, and cheese, it was great both warm and at room temperature, and kept well for days in the refrigerator.

Ingredients:

1 small cauliflower, outer leaves removed, broken into 1 1/4-inch florets (about 4 cups)
1 medium red onion, peeled (6 ounces)
5 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
7 large eggs
1/2 cup basil leaves, chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 1/2 cups coarsely grated Parmesan or another aged cheese
Melted unsalted butter, for brushing
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
1 teaspoon nigella seeds (also known as black caraway)
Salt and black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Place the cauliflower florets in a saucepan and add 1 teaspoon salt. Cover with water and simmer for 15 minutes, until the florets are quite soft. They should break when pressed with a spoon. Drain and set aside in a colander to dry.

Cut 4 round slices, each 1/4-inch/5-mm thick, off one end of the onion and set aside. Coarsely chop the rest of the onion and place in a small pan with the oil and rosemary. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring from time to time, until soft. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Transfer the onion to a large bowl, add the eggs and basil, whisk well, and then add the flour, baking powder, turmeric, Parmesan, 1 teaspoon salt, and plenty of pepper. Whisk until smooth before adding the cauliflower and stirring gently, trying not to break up the florets.

Line the base and sides of a 9 1/2-inch/24-cm springform cake pan with parchment paper. Brush the sides with melted butter, then mix together the sesame and nigella seeds and toss them around the inside of the pan so that they stick to the sides. Pour the cauliflower mixture into the pan, spreading it evenly, and arrange the reserved onion rings on top. Place in the center of the oven and bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown and set; a knife inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean. Remove from the oven and leave for at least 20 minutes before serving. It needs to be served just warm, rather than hot, or at room temperature.

Notes:

If you don't have a springform pan, you can just use a regular 9-inch cake pan or even an 8-inch square pan, like a friend of mine did, instead. As long as it's lined with a big piece of parchment that comes up the sides, the cake will come right out of the pan.

Nigella or black caraway seeds can be hard to find, but you can still make the same great visual impact they do by using black sesame, black cumin, or onion seeds instead!

Amarante

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 6:39 pm
[quote="etky"
As far as cannolis go - am I the only one who is familiar with it from The Sopranos? (that was from the era before I stopped watching TV and actually one of the triggers of my decision to stop watching -the show I mean, not the cannolis Very Happy )[/quote]

A little late in responding but I never associated cannolis with The Sopranos except generically. The association I have is from The Godfather when Clemenza famously instructs the hit man - Leave The Gun, Take The Cannolis. That man had his priorities straight. LOL LOL Rolling Eyes

Sammy375

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 4:00 am
Anyone know what the equivalent of these might be in Israel?
curd-style farmer cheese
ricotta cheese
Thanks!

etky

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 4:20 am
Amarante wrote:
[quote="etky"
As far as cannolis go - am I the only one who is familiar with it from The Sopranos? (that was from the era before I stopped watching TV and actually one of the triggers of my decision to stop watching -the show I mean, not the cannolis Very Happy )

A little late in responding but I never associated cannolis with The Sopranos except generically. The association I have is from The Godfather when Clemenza famously instructs the hit man - Leave The Gun, Take The Cannolis. That man had his priorities straight. LOL LOL Rolling Eyes[/quote]

They were always eating cannoli (among many other Italian delicacies) on the Sopranos. There was an episode in which Chris shoots up a bakery because the guy at the counter wouldn't get him his cannolis quick enough (sort of like the Soup Nazi in reverse). It was a great series but I found its particular brand of violence very disturbing.

etky

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 4:24 am
Sammy375 wrote:
curd-style farmer cheese
ricotta cheese
Thanks!

Canaan and Tuv Ta'am are the closest you'll get to farmer's cheese here. Sorry, no idea about the curd aspect.
Ricotta is Ricotta. The Gad Dairy company puts it out.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 9:07 am
Sammy375 wrote:
curd-style farmer cheese
ricotta cheese
Thanks!

I'm surprised you can't find in Israel because it's a standard Eastern European/Ashkenazi food and what my family always used for blintz fillings. In the US, you can find in the dairy or cheese section in places where there is a Jewish and/or Russian/Eastern European population.

It's also called pot cheese or farmer cheese. It's essentially "dry" cottage cheese because cottage cheese has cream put back into it and farmer's cheese is dry and can be shaped into a block.

I don't think ricotta is a replacement since it is generally a bit wetter.

If you can't find pot cheese/farmer's cheese in Israel, the replacement would be to take the moisture out of regular cottage cheese. You can do this by squeezing the wet cottage cheese through cheese cloth to get the moisture out and then put in the refrigerator uncovered to get rid of more moisture. You do want it quite dry. I think you need 32 ounces of the wet stuff to get the equivalent of the "dry curd".

Or drain in a lined colander according to this recipe - like people used to do to make yogurt cheese.

Farmer cheese is simply cottage cheese that has been drained of all the whey. Pour it into a colander lined with cheesecloth, then place a weighted plate over it, or squeeze-twist it until you get the desired texture.

ETA - In googling, it appears that Canaan Cheese might be closer to Farmer's Cheese as it appears to be a dry cottage type of cheese versus a creamier cheese but I have no first hand knowledge.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, May 17 2015, 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 9:15 am
If you get an old cottage cheese, it's generally somewhat separated. Tnuva tends to take longer to separate IME.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics