Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
1 year old REFUSES to eat or take bottle. Only nursing.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 4:24 pm
I am losing it! My one year old dd refuses to eat solids or take a bottle and only nurses. She is huge, doctor is not concerned about her weight or growth. BUt I can't deal with this- I am constantly tethered to her, I can't leave for more than 2-3 hours at a time, can't go to weddings etc etc.
I tried not feeding her for a long time, and just putting solids in front of her, but she only nibbled at it, and then threw on the floor. Eventually, I gave up and nursed her because it is hot outside and I don't want her to dehydrate chas vesholom.
Is this normal? Doctor doesn't have any good ideas. I tried getting her into EI but she didn't qualify (like I said, she is huge, so there definitely is no concern of failure to thrive). She will put some food into her mouth and spit it out after a while.
Any ideas? Will she eventually learn?

imasinger

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 4:46 pm
Of course she will learn.

You might want to read some books about feeding children.

Your most important job is to keep offering solids every meal, in a completely non anxious manner. So, maybe she'll nibble. Maybe she won't. Maybe she'll eat it all. No big deal.

Be extra careful not to hover or try to push her. Put her in the high chair at least 3 times a day, BEFORE she is either full or starving (not just before she begs to nurse, not right after she finishes), offer a food or two, turn your back if you can.

If she takes 3 bites and throws the rest on the floor, so be it. She's getting used to the taste and texture of food. After a time, she'll adjust. Give her 10 minutes or so in the high chair, and then take her down, and wait a little while before nursing, so that she doesn't see it as either/or.

You can ask her to give you a bite of her food, too. Kids often enjoy feeding their parents, and they learn what to do from watching your example. If you enjoy the Cheerios, she might decide they're worth trying again.

In the meantime, keep nursing on demand, and coming up with different foods for her to try. Once you hit on a few winners, you can gradually expand her horizons. I think the statistics are that some babies have to try a food something like 40 times before getting used to it.

Oh, and give her a sippy cup with water for car rides, when she can't access you. She'll toss it overboard, but eventually will figure it out, and it's a great way to begin getting her to drink other fluids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics